Fram High Mileage Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed my next door neighbor changing the oil on his Ford 150 today using Castrol High Mileage oil and a Fram High Mileage Oil Filter. Has any one seen or used this filter before?

Fram's patent on that oil filter is number 7018531
http://www.google.com.ar/patents/US7018531

Its cool what they do. From Fram's website: "FRAM High Mileage filter contains a cartridge of proprietary detergents and compounds that maintain viscosity, reduce corrosive wear, neutralize acids and keep engine component cleaner".

You can do the same or similar in your engine if you have to add oil, like top-off oil, during an oil change interval. I guess the Fram thing gradually adds in chemicals over time which replace the chemically degraded ones in your oil. Fights acid build up for example which lowers TBN values.

You could just drop in their Fram "gel" additive in the middle of an oil change interval to replace the worn out chemicals which break up to some extent. This on the way to longer oil change intervals...... I'd rather they not start dissolving into my newer oil near the beginning of the oil change interval.

Last edited:
The Fram high mileage is an extra guard inside plus the additive basket. It was pioneered on the Fram TRT Heavy Duty OTR trucking filters and does help with TAN control of vehicles with high blow by and generally helps the oil last longer in service.

Here is some more information about the additives history. The Fram high mileage and Fram TRT use the same additive gel, just a smaller package on the HM filter for light duty applications. The TRT filters utilize larger amounts of the additives to greatly extend oil change intervals.

https://youtu.be/EMvuKqYMNdg

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Originally Posted By: Poohbah
A couple questions from a Newbie:

Do these Fram High Mileage filters really do anything? Will they help condition seals or reduce oil consumption? I have an 02 Civic that is using oil.

How long can you run them? Fram doesn't specify unlike their other filters.

Thanks!

PoohBah,
Most here know I work at FRAM. Let me explain what the HM filter and is not. It's delivery system is a direct offshoot of a filtering system we developed for class 8 trucking fleets when they started experiencing shortened drain intervals due to soot agglomeration in the engine oil due to the addition of EGR systems to large diesels. We decided to sell it in the Pass car market when many oil companies started pushing HM oils. What the additives does is keep acid balance (PH) in check on engines that have some piston ring blow by. It also contains seal conditioning additives as well. Otherwise it is identical to the standard Extra Guard filter. If you have a clean well maintained engine that is not using oil, you should use the EG or XG filter. If you have an oil burner/leaker, there is a benefit. These filter will go 5K OCI. OK, let the trash talking begin and Happy New Year to all the BITOGers out there/

i have used them but dont do extened oci
it was my understanding that they just give you extra protection on start-up
you may be happy using an hm oil

An OCOD and a HM oil accomplishes the same thing. Using both the HM filter and HM oil is overkill. Spend the extra $$ on a Tough Guard instead and get better filtration and up to a 10k OCI.

Originally Posted By: doolah02
I noticed my next door neighbor changing the oil on his Ford 150 today using Castrol High Mileage oil and a Fram High Mileage Oil Filter. Has any one seen or used this filter before?

I've seen these but never used one.
It would be interesting to see back to back UOAs in a daily driver with one using this filter and one using a TG.
I wonder what the difference in TBN and TAN might be, if any?

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
An OCOD and a HM oil accomplishes the same thing. Using both the HM filter and HM oil is overkill. Spend the extra $$ on a Tough Guard instead and get better filtration and up to a 10k OCI.

Agreed that HM oil and HM oil filter gel additives might be too much. Totally depends on how much make up oil you add. If your car doesn't consume oil, then the Fram HM oil filter will do more good dissolving more anti acid etc. into the oil.

I noticed my engine knocked for a few seconds on start up when i used one. The oil light would stay on for about 3 seconds too. I switched to a fram extended guard filter and I have instant oil pressure on start up now. I think the gel clogged the filter up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I noticed my engine knocked for a few seconds on start up when i used one. The oil light would stay on for about 3 seconds too. I switched to a fram extended guard filter and I have instant oil pressure on start up now. I think the gel clogged the filter up.

Sounds like an Anti Drainback Valve problem, nothing to do with the gel pack. The gel pack is inside a plastic cage, and Fram is smart enough to keep it tucked nicely away.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Fram high mileage is an extra guard inside plus the additive basket. It was pioneered on the Fram TRT Heavy Duty OTR trucking filters and does help with TAN control of vehicles with high blow by and generally helps the oil last longer in service.

Here is some more information about the additives history. The Fram high mileage and Fram TRT use the same additive gel, just a smaller package on the HM filter for light duty applications. The TRT filters utilize larger amounts of the additives to greatly extend oil change intervals.

https://youtu.be/EMvuKqYMNdg

Great video! I had a thread I started a while back that talked about replacing worn out additives to get more life out of the oil. Decided its a good idea, just that makeup oil can do the same, not always though. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3676232/1
In that thread, had myself wondering if I could just get me some Fram High Mileage magic gel and throw it in INSTEAD of changing my oil (use best filter at least).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back