2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 979mi (1978mi total) - SYN3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley1979edited.jpg

To Recap:

Factory fill (HD360) changed at 999, SYN3 changed at 1978.

manganese up 100% !!!

explain that...oh what the stoners cant

or how zinc stayed identical but phos went up, magnesium went up, calcium went up

were oh were stoners please tell us how these values can go up if nothing is added!

nice flash and susvis!

Originally Posted By: sunruh
manganese up 100% !!!

1ppm hardly seems significant, be it 100% or not

explain that...oh what the stoners can't

or how zinc stayed identical but phos went up, magnesium went up, calcium went up

were oh were stoners please tell us how these values can go up if nothing is added!

What exactly are you alleging?

nice flash and susvis!

So are we actually going to have a discussion or just snarky hit and runs from "motorcycle oil myth buster"?

ah so you dont care about the percentage change just the value?

i dont think the stoners know much about motorcycles at all.
even if it is a car motor on 2 wheels.

if you dont want to discuss the raw data points on your bike thats fine. the data (correct or not) is right there.

ask the stoners to answer how moly went up on from last test to this test but on the previous it went down. how exactly did it go up?

manganese up 100% !!!

The manganese difference could have come from the gasoline.

About 4 ounces of oil was tested. Somewhere in the other 3 quarts there was probably a 4 oz sample that had less Calcium
smile.gif

OR

they dont recalibrate often enough to a known good value and as a result your data isnt really worth anything.

so, yeah, lets totally dismiss dispersion in a liquid over a period of 16 days

OR

they dont recalibrate often enough to a known good value and as a result your data isnt really worth anything.

so, yeah, lets totally dismiss dispersion in a liquid over a period of 16 days

Sounds like an opportunity for you here, start a lab and give 100% accurate guaranteed results
smile.gif

ah so you dont care about the percentage change just the value?

i dont think the stoners know much about motorcycles at all.
even if it is a car motor on 2 wheels.

if you dont want to discuss the raw data points on your bike thats fine. the data (correct or not) is right there.

ask the stoners to answer how moly went up on from last test to this test but on the previous it went down. how exactly did it go up?

I'll send them an E-Mail. I'll ask if they can confirm the numbers.

I have no issue discussing the numbers and what they mean as well as percentages (in fact I encourage it), my point is simply that when it starts at 1ppm the minimum change is 100%, I just don't view that the same way as a 100% in a larger number. Too the question arises, is it really 100% or is it some rounding and it is really the difference in 1.49 and 1.51?

With respect to the gasoline, My habit is to fill it up at the Texaco around the corner after each ride, I use premium, but it is E10. The only change that comes to mind in this last sample is that I actually went into the city and got caught in quite a lot of stop and go with a decent ambient temp... Typical I20/Grady Curve/400 to Lennox Road stuff.

When I changed it I used the Scavenger to try to get a larger percentage of the old oil out, so the next sample will be interesting. (I don't know If I will do it every change because it was a bit of a pain) I also don't know that I'll pull another 500 mile sample, may just pull one at 1000 or 1500.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Too the question arises, is it really 100% or is it some rounding and it is really the difference in 1.49 and 1.51?

so very very true! where is the threshold of the next ppm? yes you and i dont know that.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Nvm found the manual!!!

The Dyna manual states 91 octane. Kind of disappointed you cannot run 87, but however, would I have to mix 89 with 93? I rarely see 91 in my area.

Run 93 if that's whats in your area. I've ran 89 when that was all I could get. Never had a problem.

I e-mailed Blackstone and got a detailed reply about the variation. They agreed that the phosphorus was strange and said that they reran the sample to confirm. He was going to do some further checking. (I'm also not totally clear on whether the rerun was completed at the time of his reply - I don't think it much matters)

I won't be posting the e-mail because I believe that is bad form, but the crux of it (paraphrased) is that they generally expect a 5% variation in their equipment, this does't cause them a great deal of issue on wear metals because 5% at the concentration of wear metals is relatively small (IE: at a 20ppm level it would be 1ppm).

Fuel unless it is related to manganese is off topic to this thread. Kindly start your own thread if you'd like to talk about that.

Sorry DR. I start so many threads on Bob's website i try to avoid continually adding to it.

So, are the new Harley-Davidson motos leaving the line with Their synthetic installed?

Oh, i see you say your motorscooter was bought with HD Genuine 360. Why did you decide to run the synthetic 3?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Sorry DR.

No you aren't because if you were you would quit doing it.

Lol.

Ok, but why go to synthetic if it left the factory with HD360?

Give me a break dude. Ive been here awhile but recently just started looking into OA. Anyway, just to add something potentially useful to your thread: have you ever considered the brand, blend and octane of fuel used can play with the numbers on an analysis? Yes, even if there is no fuel dilution present. Im talking byproducts of combustion......just a thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back