What is the best value AR15 style rifle (.223/556)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog
One more question: are the .223 and .556 magazines the same or are they specific to the caliber? I will get a .556 upper and probably shoot a lot of .223 in it. But do the magazines differ?

For .223 / 5.56 MM magazines I like the Mag-Pul P-Mags. You can pick up the Gen 2 non window models for around $8 to $9 a piece for 30 rounds. 20 rounds are preferable at the range for shooting off a bench because they're short enough to not interfere. You can get G.I. mags now for $6 or less if you watch for sales. Buy a lot of magazines now while they're cheap. As soon as there is another mass shooting, they'll be scarce again, and prices will go up. Remember, an AR-15 without a magazine is a single shot rifle.

I have about 200 AR mags, so let me recommend the best ones I've used.

For polymer mags, look at Magpul and Lancer. They both function 100%.

If you want GI style aluminum mags, the best are NHMTG.

Second best GI style aluminum magazine would be Brownell's followed 3rd by D&H.

NHMTG, Brownells, and D&H are the current big three. I generally would avoid anything else (Colt mags are made by NHMTG. Bushmaster mags are made by NHMTG. Lots of private label mags are made by these three manufactures)

D&H makes a LOT of store brand magazines (Palmetto State Armory, Bravo Company, etc) While they generally function 100%, they have sharper edges than NHMTG and dont feel as nice. These are generally the cheapest magazines you can find, but they do work pretty good.

Make sure to use a Magpul anti-tilt follower in your 30 rd aluminum GI magazines. They increase reliability 200% once the springs start to wear out. 20 rd straight GI magazine followers are designed to tilt, so you can't put an anti tilt follower in them. Even though they dont have an anti-tilt follower, they are considered some of the most reliable AR mags you can get.

Originally Posted By: whip
I've noticed places have lowers and pistol lowers. Is there a mechanical difference, or just the way it's registered?

A lower (without parts attached) is a lower, is a lower, is a lower.

Generally to be considered a pistol, it will have a pistol buffer tube without holes so you can't fit a stock on it. ATF has said that it is legal to possess an AR pistol with a regular rifle buffer tube as long as you dont possess or own a stock to put on it. Kinda gray area.

You can assemble a lower into a pistol and than later assemble it into a rifle if you feel like it. If you assemble it into a rifle first, it will always be considered a rifle and would be illegal to then make it into a pistol. Once it has been assembled into a rifle it can never again be legally assembled into a pistol.

Lower receivers are not pistols. And they are not long guns. They are receivers. When you transfer them at the FFL dealer, they are supposed to transfer them as "other" since they dont fall into the category of pistol or rifle. I have heard that some FFL dealers will transfer them as pistols for you if you ask for documentation purposes, but I dont think that is the proper way to do it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I have about 200 AR mags, so let me recommend the best ones I've used.

For polymer mags, look at Magpul and Lancer. They both function 100%.

If you want GI style aluminum mags, the best are NHMTG.

Second best GI style aluminum magazine would be Brownell's followed 3rd by D&H.

NHMTG, Brownells, and D&H are the current big three. I generally would avoid anything else (Colt mags are made by NHMTG. Bushmaster mags are made by NHMTG. Lots of private label mags are made by these three manufactures)

D&H makes a LOT of store brand magazines (Palmetto State Armory, Bravo Company, etc) While they generally function 100%, they have sharper edges than NHMTG and dont feel as nice. These are generally the cheapest magazines you can find, but they do work pretty good.

Make sure to use a Magpul anti-tilt follower in your 30 rd aluminum GI magazines. They increase reliability 200% once the springs start to wear out. 20 rd straight GI magazine followers are designed to tilt, so you can't put an anti tilt follower in them. Even though they dont have an anti-tilt follower, they are considered some of the most reliable AR mags you can get.

PSA has the D&H mags for $6.99 is that a decent price? They have magpul followers.

Last edited:
One more question: are the .223 and .556 magazines the same or are they specific to the caliber? I will get a .556 upper and probably shoot a lot of .223 in it. But do the magazines differ?

I can't see any difference between the two rounds.

Did you ask about steel vs brass cases yet?

Brass is a better metal for a case. It can be reloaded and it works a little better in some rifles. Steel is cheaper and works just fine for me. Some rifles are picky about steel. My rifle likes it just fine. Steel ammo usually comes from Russia. We're mad at Russia now. I don't see the cheap Russian ammo much any more.

PSA has the D&H mags for $6.99 is that a decent price? They have magpul followers.

Thanks for this--I just nabbed 13 of them.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Brass is a better metal for a case. It can be reloaded and it works a little better in some rifles. Steel is cheaper and works just fine for me. Some rifles are picky about steel. My rifle likes it just fine. Steel ammo usually comes from Russia. We're mad at Russia now. I don't see the cheap Russian ammo much any more.

They have the russian ammo at cheaper than dirt

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah at 6.99 they are a fantastic deal. I would still urge you to pick up a few Magpul and NHMTG mags.

I bought 4 of them for now. I'll get some of the Magpul ones later after I get my upper and sights. I looked up the Magpul ones and they look pretty high quality.

Thanks! I've shot the Tula and Silver Bear and both work great for me.

You can do better than Cheaper than Dirt 99 percent of the time. Look around at other places like AIM surplus, Sportsmansguide, and Centerfire systems for example. CTD tends to price gouge during panic times and their shipping is often on the high end.

Yeah, I am learning to price shop for sure. But I really like the concept of building my own rifle. This way I'll get exactly what I want at a reasonable price. All I have to do is wait for the right sale to come along on all of the different components I want.

I really appreciate all of you guys giving me advice. Thanks again.
grin.gif

Not all AR's are made equal. There are definite differences and tiers of quality/attention to detail. Some makes I have pulled apart do not stake the gas key(Olympic Arms for instance). And some will use 4140 instead of 4150 steel for the barrel(a small difference).

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Not all AR's are made equal. There are definite differences and tiers of quality/attention to detail. Some makes I have pulled apart do not stake the gas key(Olympic Arms for instance). And some will use 4140 instead of 4150 steel for the barrel(a small difference).

PSA uses grade 8 fasteners and stakes them on the gas key

But uses a MIM gas key.

Originally Posted By: hatt

But uses a MIM gas key.

What is a MIM gas key? Nevermind I found it. You can always repalce it with a forged one from them. They have several if it is a problem. I have also read that some of the MIM gas keys have been tested up to 125,000 rounds. LMT builds them to mil spec.

Have you seen any failures in them? They have been out now for 6 years.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any failures. I'm sure they're fine, especially for most AR owners. I've also never seen a chrome-lined 4140 barrel fail. But we still want the "better" steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back