CL Ad w/ MY PICTURE of MY CAR in it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Some jerk might print the ad, save it, buy your car, then sue you in a year for "false advertising" when the car blows up. This despite an as-is bill of sale in some states. Massachusetts for example has a private-party lemon law that you can't legally disclaim in your bill of sale.

It would then provide you with a defense of "that could be any car" as the rest of the ad is anonymous.

Or they could print a full size license plate from your pic and run tolls with it, getting caught on camera.

Who cares why, really? Fuzz it out. Look what google images can do today, who knows what they could do in ten years with an archive of material?

2 thoughts:

- If someone wanted to sue you in the future, wouldn't they be able to prove via VIN that the car you had registered (and sold) was the same one that broke down? What additional information would a picture with a license plate prove?

- What is stopping someone from taking a picture of your license plate while you are at the mall and running tolls with it?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't see a picture on the ad

Yep, Pic is gone now.

He must have seen my e-mail and is in process of editing it...
smile.gif

I bet he freaked out getting a CL mail from the owner of the
actual car.....
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Some jerk might print the ad, save it, buy your car, then sue you in a year for "false advertising" when the car blows up. This despite an as-is bill of sale in some states. Massachusetts for example has a private-party lemon law that you can't legally disclaim in your bill of sale.

It would then provide you with a defense of "that could be any car" as the rest of the ad is anonymous.

Or they could print a full size license plate from your pic and run tolls with it, getting caught on camera.

Who cares why, really? Fuzz it out. Look what google images can do today, who knows what they could do in ten years with an archive of material?

2 thoughts:

- If someone wanted to sue you in the future, wouldn't they be able to prove via VIN that the car you had registered (and sold) was the same one that broke down? What additional information would a picture with a license plate prove?

Yes, but, they could claim that the *AD* offered a better condition of the car than the bill of sale, and would try to hold you to the ad. Not having your plate in the ad means it could be anyone's ad, even though you wound up selling your car to the plaintiff. (A defense would be, the buyer claimed to know more about cars, and pointed out some things I didn't know about, so we agreed on a price cut and as-is sale. Still, more trouble than necessary.)

It's one of those things that takes 2 seconds to do in photoshop and might save your bacon in ways you don't even know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back