SR-71 V-8 Startup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply amazing. The audio is quite good. Were these the nailheads or the BBC's or do you know?

I can see why there were only a few bases that supported SR-71's around the world - not every base would have that kind of hardware. Beale AFB, RAF Mindenhall (if I recall correctly) and Kadena in Okinawa. Any others?

It sounded like engine 2 had to work a little harder to get the J-58 to light.

Last edited:
In round numbers, this is what the J58 put out:
32000 lbs thrust x 3080 ft/sec / 550 = 179200 HP per engine at 2100 MPH.

Last edited:
The early engines were the Buick nailhead and when that production ended in 1966, the later start engines were then the big Chevies.

I kind of miss the old school stuff. They seemed to take something that was in production and made it work, instead of engineering a very specific part to do the same job.

You can kind of see that in Today's special tools and oil specs for a specific family of auto engines.

Another cool thing I thought was the Cerwin-Vega Stroker. It looked like they just raided the parts bin and made a super sub. Then it looks like they sold out to Planet Audio of China.

I guess tis specific-ness kind of Age we are foing throu it directly related to many thing being cheaper to throw away and buy new i stead of repairing what you have. I wonder what that does in term of wasting metals and increasing pollution?

Originally Posted By: chestand
(if I recall correctly) and Kadena in Okinawa.

That's where I seen one land.

The blue on in thepicture is a nailhead. The exhaust ports are the easy way to tell, groups of 2. The other is a BBC

Rod

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back