Wide bumper gap - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2014 Honda Accord I purchased 07/14 both sides were fine until the other day. No evidence that someone hit the bumper, now the passenger side has a wide gap, drivers side doesn't. The dealer r&r'd the bumper, still the same. They say it's normal and caused by heat/cold. I don't think so. What do you'all think?

Link to Pics

Not the most elegant solution, but can you you a silicone adhesive and re-attach it? Maybe put some kind of small cushion or spacer in to prevent rattling.

I guess the dealership doesn't have a body shop? I'm sure a body guy has a few tricks to tighten that up with a minimum of fuss.

It looks like something is loose or stretched, its hard to say without looking at how its mounted. Given that you can push it up would confirm that.
R&R the tail light will possibly give you a better view. It doesn't look like a heat and cold issue.

It might be bolted, use clips or slide in mounting clips, i don't know but don't pull on it and make matters worse. Go to another dealer, one with a body dept.

I think it gets hot in Texas. Does either side consistently see more sunshine? Seems like it should be fixable, but it's not that noticeable unless you're the owner.

You bought this brand new? Have you had it at the dealer for any sevice where they'd have to remove the bumper cover?

The retainer mounted to the quarter panel just below the headlamp is sometimes a one time use deal where it doesn't hold as snugly after the cover is removed and reinstalled. I agree that is a large gap and I wonder if they replaced the retainer if it would fit tighter?

When my Camry was hit in front they replaced the bumper cover and left the corner clip off, i finally brought it in when the gap drove me crazy.

Bumper covers are pretty thin and can flex due to temperature, but they should fix this and it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Do they have an in-house body shop? If not, does another Honda dealer in the area?

There are three little plastic brackets on each side that hold the bumper cover in place. Those might need some adjustment. It's unlikely one is broken unless the car has been hit, but anything is possible.

rear-bumper-1486766.png

Typical of most dealers. They should know what to do or be willing to learn on your vehicle but still only charge a fair amount or nothing if it's their fault.

I have two friends both with accords and their bumpers cracked in severe cold when tapping a snow pile while parking. After they mentioned it to me I noticed several accords with cracked bumpers. I had never seen that before. It sure appears honda makes some bad bumpers...Not your issue but they could be related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back