Wetsanding comes through again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't take pictures this time around like I did with the Miata, but wetsanding took the Sedona's headlight lenses from terrible to excellent today. Both lenses had very heavy rough spots on the top half, and they've gotten progressively worse since I bought the vehicle 20 months ago. Normally I start with 400 grit, but I started with 200 this time on the top half only because it was so bad. In hindsight, I may not have needed the 200, and I may have left a few hairline scratches that didn't come out, but you hardly notice them. I worked my way to 400, then 800, 1000, and finished with 2000 grit. Then I moved to rubbing compound, machine applied, then hand applied ScratchX, and then Ultimate Polish. Finished with 2 coats of UV headlight protectant and 1 coat of Collinite 845. The results are stunning! I highly recommend to anyone who is considering buying those headlight restoration kits, skip them. Buy a variety pack of sand paper, use plenty of water and patience, and go to town. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
Thought about doing this to my daughters 05 Cobalt as they are in bad shape, but for a hundred bones it was easier just to replace them with new ones from Rockauto
thumbsup2.gif

Non OEM replacement headlamp lenses and reflectors are said to be miserable and hideous in lighting performance, whereas OEM is the best option performance wise, but hideously expensive.

If one is capable of properly polishing the original lenses, and regularly maintaining them once the original UV shield has been polished away, this is a good option and keeps junk out of the landfills, and poor aftermarket replacements from compromising nighttime vision with poor light distribution patterns, which cannot be judged adequately by any humans eyeballs.

So one might claim their aftermarket replacements are just fine, but this is a subjective claim and has no basis in fact without the correct tools and knowledge to use them to make that determination.

Since I do not have these tools or the knowledge to use them, I listen to Automotive lighting experts that claim all aftermarket replacement headlight housing are junk, at their word. That the DOT and CAPA certification claims are useless marketing mumbo jumbo designed to maximize the bottom line, as there is no truth in advertising, and apparently no consequence for outright lying.

Even when this opinion earns me verbal abuse by those who do not agree. So be it.

Really!!!
Don't believe everything you read and hear, each situation is different, the lenses fit perfect and the light output is just as good as OEM if not better, and since as you say "I don't have the tools or KNOWLEDGE" we'll leave it at that.
cheers3.gif

Unless there is horrible pitting & gouging. Some rubbing compound and Meguiars PlastiX is all you really need with a machine buffer.

I used this kit on 5 sets of headlights so far and they are perfectly back to OEM new afterwards.

The older model of the kit I had purchased. Had 1 rubbing & 1 polishing compound disc with velcro back and hand buffer. The bottle of PlastiX and Headlight Protectant. A towel and the drill attachment. I actually just did 2 this weekend for a work colleague. They came out great.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g3000-heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back