Coolant Loss 2005 Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it is a head gasket leak as discussed with the manager of the garage I get our vehicles serviced at. Thinking it might be something else I put in some of the GM sealant tabs. Can't really tell if the leak a has slowed down but I do have to constantly add coolant especially after a short highway run. City drives don't seem to use much coolant. There is the slight odour of hydrocarbon or exhaust within the overflow tank.

I even tried a new reservoir cap thinking the old one was faulty and causing it to boil over (system not pressurizing). I swear I still have some boiling happening and puking out the overflow tub (?). Anyways, very frustrating. I'm not in the position to sink almost $2000 for a head gasket repair as quoted.

Gosh $2000 for doing the head gasket job sure seems high. If you're considering having it done, I would get some other estimates first. thanks for the update

My car is older, less miles GM but I had a coolant leak just like you describe
For months I put a qt a week in. Never saw anything on the ground.
Turned out to be a tiny radiator crack at the seam. Found by an AC guy looking for a Freon leak which he also found in the valve the freon goes in. $350 I have a new rad and valve with a full charge of Freon and no leaks.

Last edited:
Got the Equinox repaired. It was a head gasket. Replaced both of them plus the intakes. Vehicle now driving like it should be. It was also misfiring on cylinder #2 setting off the check engine light and had the temp gauge creeping past the halfway line when at a stop light.

Sorry to hear that Doad!
frown.gif

It is that dreaded IMG/HG issue with the 3.4L V6's. Not everyone has the issue but, they did have their share!

Best of luck with the remainder of your journey!
smile.gif

CB

Didn't pay the $2000, found a much better price. He sent me some photos of the job and noted a small 'casting mark' or imprint on the cyl head. Said he'd never seen something like that before and said that may have had something to do with it leaking after all these years combined with the lousy gaskets GM used (?) Tried to load the photo, no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back