More bizarre local news....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2015/03/31/lockdown-after-bomb-threat-at-crestwood

Quote:
A lockdown at a west-end high school ended around 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, city police report.

Peterborough County OPP have taken a 16-year-old boy into custody for questioning, Const. Jason Folz of Peterborough County OPP said, as city police and the OPP are continuing to probe the cause of the bomb threat.

The boy was taken into custody on Armour Rd. by city police around 4 p.m.

Crestwood Secondary School, neighbouring James Strath Public School and the attached Strath-MacLean Child Care Centre were locked down Tuesday afternoon as city police and OPP investigated a bomb threat at the high school.

“The threat initially came in to police and they notified us,” said Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board spokeswoman Judy Malfara at the scene..

“It was a threat specifically to the outside (of Crestwood), not the inside, and that's why immediately both schools went into lockdown. There was never a threat made against James Strath but because it's so close, and safety's the first priority, we thought it would be best.”

After the lockdown ended, Malfara told reporters the students who are bused to school boarded buses, while parents of children who walk to either school were contacted to pick them up.
Many parents were waiting outside the school from 2:30 p.m. onward as the lockdown was in place.
"The information we had was that there was a threat to the school," Malfara said.
"The students at this time are safe in their classrooms," Folz said earlier as parents began arriving at the schools to find a heavy police presence.

Malfara said schools are required to have practice lockdowns to be prepared for this sort of circumstance.

Sherbrooke St. was closed to traffic in front of Crestwood.

A planned performance by Crestwood's drumline band at Tuesday night's Peterborough Petes-Oshawa Generals OHL playoff game was cancelled because of the delays from the lockdown.

More to come.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
why the fascination with these type of events?

They are local. And my wife's friend's kids go to that school. We've had a lot of "off" news lately in a town that's normally pretty quiet
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
More craziness from Canada?

Exactly!! Your "peaceful neighbour to the north" LMAO!!!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Let me know when Russia has an IBCM programmed for Peterborough. Then we'll know you've truly hit the big time. NO baloney.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Let me know when Russia has an IBCM programmed for Peterborough. Then we'll know you've truly hit the big time. NO baloney.

Comically it was only a few years ago when they took down the air raid sirens. We have General Electric, which was believed to be a possible target in WWII
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Have your fun, but we won't tell you the secret location of our factory that makes Canadian Male Comedians.
grin.gif

Where do these guys find public phones to make the bomb threat from? Or do they believe *69 (or whatever the magic sequence is) actually prevents the caller id from being transmitted and nobody can trace the call?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Where do these guys find public phones to make the bomb threat from? Or do they believe *69 (or whatever the magic sequence is) actually prevents the caller id from being transmitted and nobody can trace the call?

No idea. It was a 16 year old kid. Perhaps he was just stupid?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

Have your fun, but we won't tell you the secret location of our factory that makes Canadian Male Comedians.
grin.gif

Whatever you do, guard the factory that made Diana Krall with your life!

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Around here kids just sharpie it on the bathroom mirror.

16 yr old makes a bomb threat. Expect a conditional discharge from the courts. Wasting taxpayer $$$$$ again.

I remember plenty of these threats being called in back when I was in high school. The times have put a different spin on it and turned this type of prank into a "terrorist threat."

Most times it was just a kid trying to get out of taking a test that day, or one who was disgruntled with the school.

Quote:
16 yr old makes a bomb threat. Expect a conditional discharge from the courts. Wasting taxpayer $$$$$ again.

If the kid is just dumb enough to get caught and isn't having mental problems, a conditional discharge is the cheapest thing to do. Dragging someone into the system is likely to cost far far more than some police overtime one day...

I do remember we had one in my HS, fortunately it was a warm spring day and it was mostly just some time to play hacky sack for a couple hours.
I don't recall that perpetrator was ever caught either. I suppose all our digital tech is a good deterrent as its not anonymous at all anymore.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Originally Posted By: KGMtech

grin.gif

Whatever you do, guard the factory that made Diana Krall with your life!

Had to look that one up. Jeebus, that Elvis Costello is one lucky guy! There's no way that she's 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back