how good are tecumseh small engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to replace my money pit Honda push mower. I found a good deal in a tecumseh powered craftsman mower it is used. How good are they? What are some common issues? This everyone

I personally would not buy/service Tecumseh engines due to lack of parts.

Tecumsech has been out of business, so parts are gradually drying up. Besides: some of their OPE engines are of inferior quality (when compared to B&S).

I'd stay with either Honda or B&S. If I can get my hands on some Suzuki or Kawasaki, that would be even better.

Q.

I have several Tecumseh engines and have found that parts are still readily available. I had no problems finding rebuild parts for a Tecumseh engine made in 1973.If the deal is good, I would go for it.

I have one of the newer OHV China-made engines on my push mower. After several years of my teenager mowing it still starts and runs reliably. I change the oil mid and end of season and run the gas tank dry before winter.

I always had a problem with the older tecumsehs keeping the carb running right. They seemed to want to be adjusted every time I used my mower or tiller. It got bad enough that I swapped both for Harbor Freight engines.

Tecumseh parts are available thru Certified Parts Corp.That being said,the engines are obsolete,not being made,and never ran worth a darn.At night you can see your snowblower muffler glow almost clear and little metal particles shoot out and away.Great 1950s engineering....

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have several Tecumseh engines and have found that parts are still readily available. I had no problems finding rebuild parts for a Tecumseh engine made in 1973.If the deal is good, I would go for it.

I had the same experiences and found their engines quite good. If the price is right I'd go for it.

I have one that is propane powered on my Winco generator and it seems to be built like a tank. It starts and runs fine, but you would expect that with propane anyway.

The 1971 Tecumseh on my snowblower did just fine this past winter after the carb got cleaned. I'd find another without hesitation.

I have a Tecumseh on my snowblower. I've had a couple of carb issues over the years, but never a problem with the engine itself.

I use them entirely on my 21 acres here, Quite reliable. I am very happy, Had big problems with the B&S engines mowing hillsides, Lack of lube with the tilt. No problems with the Tecumseh ever.

I've owned 3 snow blowers with Tecumseh Snow King engines, including my current 10 hp, 15 year old blower, and never had any problems whatsoever. I also have a smaller displacement Tecumseh on a 20 year old self propelled walk behind mower, which has been OK until last year (carb problem, easily fixed).

I've read that they are particularly sensitive to oil level and oil quality (big end bearings tend to go quickly/catastrophically if starved for oil) so I'm very careful to check oil level before each use.

New old stock OEM parts are easily available through Certified Parts, and small engine dealers.

If the used Craftsman is otherwise clean and what you are looking for, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up just because it is Tecumseh powered.

Where not talking snow blowers here, we are talking about a Craftsman push mower.

Truth is, Tecumseh push mower engines are TERRIBLE. Bad carb design, low low power, like 30% less power than a comparable Briggs engine. They are pretty durable, which is unfortunate because you are stuck using it for years and years until you finally get some sense and junk it for something else.

Really. Avoid. These. Things.

You have been warned. That mower is cheap for a reason.

My Yardman 8hp 28" dual stage snow thrower has a Tecumseh sk. Some small mystery parts come out during OCI (I should have taken a photo and posted here!) AND IT CAN GET CLATTERY WHEN HOT AND WORKED HARD. But its still running after 17 years with 1 oci per season and it uses no oil and makes good power - though the fuel this season has been abysmal. The impeller housing is rusting out though ...

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
I use them entirely on my 21 acres here, Quite reliable. I am very happy, Had big problems with the B&S engines mowing hillsides, Lack of lube with the tilt. No problems with the Tecumseh ever.

Usually it's the B&S that do well on the hills while the Tecumseh doesn't. Maybe yours has a different design?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Usually it's the B&S that do well on the hills while the Tecumseh doesn't. Maybe yours has a different design?

Most Briggs engines are splash lube while most Tecumseh engines have an oil pump. Tecumseh should work better on hills because of the oil pump.

Usually it's the B&S that do well on the hills while the Tecumseh doesn't. Maybe yours has a different design?...... They are plain old walk behild craftsman push mowers i use, (have 5 of them here, 4 up to 5 hp) My landscaper freind even brought over one of his new 5 HP B&S push mower over here once to work and (show off) on one of my tough hills,and within 10 minutes it locked up for good, i felt bad, he just left it here. Ive just had bad luck with B&S small engines. Tecumseh has/had a good design as far as im concerned. sad to see them close up.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Usually it's the B&S that do well on the hills while the Tecumseh doesn't.

Are you talking about the carburetor's ability to run well on hills or the ability of the oiling system to lubricate the engine? Briggs has better carburetors while Tecumseh has an oil pump, and therefor, superior ability to lubricate the engine at angles. What are you referring to?

Edit: I see the above quote came from someone else and not you.

Ram- if the Honda push mower isn't suiting your needs, a Tecumseh powered Sears machine probably isn't going to either.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a push mower powered by a Tecumseh flat-head, but I wouldn't necessarily avoid one either, given the mower is solid and the engine runs well.

As far as mowers go, the deck and all related hardware is much better on a Honda than it will be on a Sears. It should be given the cost of Hondas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back