Details on free Windows 10 offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How do you think it would run on a...

To my understanding, you can probably much answer any of these questions just as you could with Windows 8, which is, "It will run at least as good as it does with Windows 7, and probably better."

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
How do you think it would run on a...

To my understanding, you can probably much answer any of these questions just as you could with Windows 8, which is, "It will run at least as good as it does with Windows 7, and probably better."

Win 7 ran OK. I skipped Win 8 for reasons which were beaten to death here, many people claiming their machines ran worse. Win 10 from what I've read seems to run faster and better on older machines than 7 and 8 did. So I thought I'd toss that out there giving specs on my machine, which was built during the Vista era/mistake. j/k lol

Win 7 ran OK. I skipped Win 8 for reasons which were beaten to death here, many people claiming their machines ran worse. Win 10 from what I've read seems to run faster and better on older machines than 7 and 8 did. So I thought I'd toss that out there giving specs on my machine, which was built during the Vista era/mistake. j/k lol

Most problems occur when people choose the "upgrade" option when installing the new Windows. If you do a clean install which formats the HD, the system should be running very smoothly.

Once W10 comes out, sure. It'll fly. It should run even faster than W7 does on it. I wouldn't put the Technical/Consumer Preview on your main drive, though... I'd get a second drive to try it, if you wanted to try it before the retail version ships later this year.

Thanks - I still have my old HDD - i guess I can use that to try first and see.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Most problems occur when people choose the "upgrade" option when installing the new Windows. If you do a clean install which formats the HD, the system should be running very smoothly.

thumbsup2.gif
That's the only way I do it.

So, with this free upgrade to W10, do users have the option to do a clean install of W10? Ideally I would love to throw in an SSD into one of my old W7 Pentium Dual Core machines and install W10 on it from scratch.

How do you think it would run on a Pentium Dual Core with 4 GB of RAM?

Yeah, this should be fine. I've got a similar setup with Intel E5300 CPU and 4GB of RAM that used to be my media PC sitting in storage somewhere. If I can only figure out which box it's packed in, I'd love to install W10 on it.

I actually did the upgrade option on both computers to see how bad it would be. It went surprisingly well FWIW.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, with this free upgrade to W10, do users have the option to do a clean install of W10? Ideally I would love to throw in an SSD into one of my old W7 Pentium Dual Core machines and install W10 on it from scratch.

I've read concerns posted about this. Will it be an in-place "service pack" type upgrade like the Apple OS X upgrades have been? I hope that they'd give the option to download the .iso file so folks could burn an install disc or create an install USB stick. I, too, would prefer to install clean. It could be that they allow you to install fresh, and just type in your previous Windows license key as the validation.

I've set my computer up so I have no user data on the same physical drive as the OS, and this is one of the reasons for that. If the OS drive dies, it's an easy recovery. Or if I want to upgrade or change the OS with a fresh install, that's easy, too.

I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for more details on how consumers will be able to receive the upgrade.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Widows users can thank Apple (and to a lesser extent Linux) for this.

Apple users can thank MSFT for saving Apple from death in 1997 with a measly $150M investment.

Except Apple had a boat load of patents that they were planning to sue MS for - all relating to Quicktime and Windows Media, which was pretty much line for line stolen/reverse engineered from Quicktime.

Rather than a patent war, Steve and Bill settled it gentleman-like.

Originally Posted By: asand1
What if you have a computer with a legit Windows 7 product key that you recently f-disked and loaded linux onto?

I was wondering about that myself. I would think if you wipe it, re-install Win 7 make sure its validated then do the Win 10 install it should work? A lot of extra work though. I was wondering about that myself. I did two clean installs of Win 7 wiping the hard drives and installed it off an iso file I downloaded from the MSFT website. When I was done I went through the validation process. I hope that doesn't cause problems if I decide to use the Win 10 free offer.

If the licence and the key are validated by MS, then there should be no problems.

Few times the online validation did not work for me and I had to call MS to validate the license. It happened on a machine that I re-installed windows several times over the course of a year because it belonged to a teenager and was infested with all sorts of viruses all the time.
I guess it looked suspicious for one license to be validated several times in such a short period of time. That is why I needed to call. But MS validated the license with no problems over the phone.

What if you have a computer with a legit Windows 7 product key that you recently f-disked and loaded linux onto?

It would be my hope that you could simply wipe the drive, load Windows 10, and use the Windows 7 product key or install disc as evidence of your eligibility to upgrade.

Some previous versions of Windows were like that. You could install an upgrade copy on a blank hard drive, but only if you had the install media for the previous copy of Windows or if you had the license key for the previous copy of Windows.

It would be my hope that you could simply wipe the drive, load Windows 10, and use the Windows 7 product key or install disc as evidence of your eligibility to upgrade.

Some previous versions of Windows were like that. You could install an upgrade copy on a blank hard drive, but only if you had the install media for the previous copy of Windows or if you had the license key for the previous copy of Windows.

Is the license key you're referring to behind the battery or on the back of some laptop computers that came with a hidden partition containing the OS instead of installation disks? If so is it safe to [censored]ume that key would allow a clean install of Win 10 and pass the validation processes? Thanks!

I have a few desktop vista machines, I need to upgrade to windows 7 then jump to free windows 10 when it comes out

Is the license key you're referring to behind the battery or on the back of some laptop computers that came with a hidden partition containing the OS instead of installation disks? If so is it safe to [censored]ume that key would allow a clean install of Win 10 and pass the validation processes? Thanks!

In my experience, it's usually on a small decal on the side or the rear of the computer, such as this:

case20product20key-5861943.jpg

I don't assume anything at this point, but it's my hope that one would be able to wipe the drive, install the Windows 10 upgrade, and when it asks for your eligibility to upgrade, you can type in the license key for your old copy of Windows. It obviously doesn't need that for an in-place upgrade, because Windows is already on the machine. But some (or most) versions of Windows in the past would allow you to install the "upgrade" copy of Windows on a fresh hard drive, and type in the old key as validation of your eligibility.

I'm hoping that Windows 10 is the same way.

^^ That's the sticker.^^ I'm hoping it works that way too, and it allows you to wipe it and do a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back