What Kind Of Oil Are You 5.7 HEMI Guys Running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: -SyN-
My owners manual actually says-->If 5W-20 can't not be found-->5W-30 is ok to use. Or if the 5.7L is going to be towing use 5W-30!

I have switched to 0W-30 with Not 1 Issue!! over 412 miles so far since the switch and No issues with the MDS! I have read where Many owners have switched over to 5W-30 with No issues!

The 5.7L is Very Responsive and Very Smooth and Quiet!

This is definitely new from Chrysler for MDS 5.7L's. At 1st I was going to ask if you had a 2500 then I saw you list a 1500 in your signature. I went and looked and sure enough 5W30 when 5W20 is not available for Ram 1500's w/ 5.7L. Of course who can't get 5W20? I do not however see anything about using 5W30 when towing? Where did you see that? Not doubting just like to know for my own education.

Me personally, after running an MDS Ram on 5W20 with no issues and exceptional performance driving and towing I would just stick with 5W20 myself as it is the preferred oil. I wouldn't run it on 5W30 all the time as they aren't saying to do that but rather if you need oil, and can't find 5W20, 5W30 is ok to use in that case. To me that is different than it is ok to use 5W30 all the time.

Also, you have a Ram and the OP is looking into a Jeep. The requirements are different in the OM's despite it being the same engine. Maybe the 2015 Jeep GC OM will carry the same 5W30 clause as the 14 Ram 1500 OM does but right now I can't tell( I have to amend an earlier post because the Jeep site shows the GC SRT OM for both ). The 2014 Jeep GC OM however only allows for 5W20 in the 5.7L. Unless they change it for 2015 5W30 will not be warranty acceptable in the OP's new Jeep.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
You will be just fine with that PP 5W20 in your HEMI. Good choice. It is always best while under warranty to just stay with what the mfg spec's. For your application it is as others have posted but I will repeat a 5W20 that is API Certified w/ Starburst and that meets Chrysler MS6395. That engine will be just fine with a 5W20 towing and in heat.

Also, make sure you change it within the max allowed for time or mileage( it is whichever comes 1st ). Don't go into it with a preplanned OCI. Read the manual and make sure you stay within the allowed for limits. Even if you plan to go by the OLM there is still a max time/mileage that applies as well if it hasn't tripped yet. My 08 HEMI Ram had an OLM but it was never even close to tripping when the max time/mileage rolled around even when I was towing a lot. In the OM it will give you the max OCI you can do period. Chrysler has gone to like a year and 10K now on most vehicles but I am not sure what the 15 GC will be? IT would be best for you to look it up once you purchase the vehicle in your OM.

EDIT - I was curious so I just went and downloaded the 15 GC OM and to my surprise the max allowed for OC is 6 months or 6000 miles. That means no 1 year and 10K or more OCI's while under warranty. I am really surprised they have such a short OCI compared to a lot of their other new vehicles. Huh.

Originally Posted By: Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 Owners Manual

Page 538
MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE:

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first.

Chrysler has really become picky about warranty so there is really no good reason to give them any grounds to look for ways out of repairs if they did happen( 5.7L's are very good motors so no problems should happen ). Stay within the max allowed for OCI, use the correct weight and spec'd oil, and you will be good to go.

Congrat's a little early on the new ride.

billt460;

I need to amend the above post I made to you as it has an error. It seems the Jeep website has an error on it right now and shows the 2015 GC SRT owner's manual for both models( regular and SRT ). For a regular GC the max OCI is actually a year and 10,000 miles as I thought it would be and had said before going to look and posting the incorrect info above( well the 2014 GC is - I "assume" the 2015 will as well ).

Here is the 2014 OCI info and again I "assume" 2015 will be the same but verify it to be sure after purchase...

Originally Posted By: Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014 Owner's Manual

Page 575
MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE:

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever occurs first.

So you could in theory run that PP out to a year and 10,000 miles as long as the OLM doesn't trip before that. It is a case where you have to go with whatever of the 3 comes up 1st...
  • If the OLM trips 1st - change oil
  • If 1 year comes 1st & no OLM trip - change oil
  • If 10K miles comes 1st & no OLM trip - change oil

Also, while PP is an EXCELLENT oil if you plan to try and extend out to a year and 10K for OCI's, IMO, it would be a good idea around 7500 miles to have a UOA done to see how it holds up in your engine with your use/environment. 10K is a long time for most any oil and especially in the heat you will experience and with towing. I would however wait until you have at least 10K on the truck before doing the UOA run( so start after the 10K - take the sample from that next oil change at or near 20K ). Let it break in 1st. Do at least 2 OCI's during the break in to remove break in debris.

Sorry for the misinformation earlier. I didn't catch it that the SRT OM came up for both GC's.

Last edited:
Funny, the Owner's Guide for my 2014 Ram 1500 does not say anything about using 5W-30 if 5W-20 is not available for the 5.7L. However, the guide does say that you should use only 5W-30 in the 5.7L engines if you have a 2500/3500 truck. The guide for my 2015 Challenger says to use only 5W-20 in the 5.7L.

with my 2014 ram hemi..

first 3k was factory fill
next 5k was mobil 5000 dino
next 5k was mobil 5000 dino
currently 5w20 pp

two purolator classics and currently a pureone. i beat the amazing out of it and it runs great. enjoy your future purchase.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do places like Wal Mart carry it? I ask because I had briefly considered the 3.0 Eco Diesel. However it only has 2 types of oil that meets Chrysler's specs. One of which was Pennzoil Ultra Euro L, which you can only get on line from E-Bay or else Amazon. Not to mention it's high cost, and the fact you need 10+ quarts.

Add to that $45.00 oil filters and $100.00 fuel filters, a DEF system, and all of a sudden any savings on fuel seemed moot, and the HEMI started looking pretty good! Also, on the Eco Diesel it's a pain to get at the oil filter. You've got to remove the bonnet as well as the air intake plumbing, and move another line out of the way. It also requires a 15 to 30 minute wait per Chrysler after refilling, before you restart the engine. No "Quick Lube" places here. And there is no guarantee that a dealer would even do it correctly. I don't want or need a vehicle that turns an oil change into a Moon shot. I like the fact the HEMI uses a spin on filter. The fancy oil I can live with, just as long as I don't have to go on a safari to buy it.

This post in mostly incorrect.
Off the top of my head there's Three oils that meet the 3.0 spec..Pennzoil Ultra L, Kendall GT-1 Euro, and Mobil 1 ESP..
Most Ram dealers carry the Pennzoil for under $7 a quart. I had the Kendall delivered to my house for $80 total (12 quarts). You can get aftermarket filters for the trucks now at like $10-$15 a piece.
Don't forget these trucks have a 10k mile OCI. And the fuel filter is a 30k mile change which is easily done by crawling under the truck and removing it on the passenger side.
The oil filter is reached directly over the drive-side fender..Don't know where you get you have to remove anything! Guess your costs are for paying a dealer to do all the work?

Yes, I own one and get 27mpg on Hwy with a half-ton 4x4, with a Ranch Hand Brush Guard...What will the HEMI get?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Bad day Clevy?:
Just relaying what the dealer told me. Wrong weight oil caused consumption. I was not there.
I was OK with their diagnosis, as was the driver.

I will not go back to the beginning and read every post, that would be absurd, Truly absurd.
Judging by your post count you should probably take a breather from the forum, perhaps a day or two away may help with your rotting attitude.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
5w20 is very important. I've seen a 5.7L filled w Shell 5w30 burn through oil on a highway trip and nearly lost a motor. Customer requested 5w30 vs 5w20 and called from 700 miles away. No reading on dipstick, no leaks. Local dealer towed and did the change w 5w20 and all was well.

FORMULASHELL® CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL meets or exceeds:
• North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and
gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SN with Resource Conserving, SN, SM, SL, SJ etc. oils are specified
• ILSAC GF-5 standard
• Meets to GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)
• Meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
• Meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A specifications (SAE 5W-20), and WSS-M2C946-A and WSSM2C929-A
specifications (5W-30)

Absolutely absurd.

If you are truly trying to say a hemi engine consumed all the 5w-30 and almost killed the engine yet no problems with 5w-20 you better stick around and start at the very beginning of BITOG and read every single thread,because it's total nonsense.

Heck I have a 2013 hemi manual that says if truck will be used for tow duty then 5w-30 can be substituted.
So is Chrysler intentionally trying to destroy their engines by saying use 5w-30 in heavy duty usage.
Gimme a break. Truly absurd.
Now we have 4 hemi's in our family. I've got an 06 charger with mds. I use 0w-40 in the summer and 5w-20 in the winter. No consumption whatsoever nor is there any fuel consumption changes either.
My brothers 08 ram uses whatever I've got handy from a 20 grade in the winter to a 15w-40 hdeo for my forklift and at 280000 miles no consumption whatsoever on any grade.
My uncles 2012,which I service gets a 20 in the winter and a 30 in the summer and no changes in fuel economy nor any consumption.
My inherited 2013 ram just got filled up with 0w-40 and not a single issue.

So your comment is not only absurd but laughable.
These hemi engines are able to run any grade lubricant. Is a 15w-40 optimal? It is when towing 6000 pounds across the province and oil temps remain elevated the entire trip. However at 0c it's not optimal but certainly works just fine.
I've learned based on my experience with the hemi engine is match the oil grade to ambient temps and operating conditions of the vehicle. It's just that simple.
Use a 0w-30 if that's what you feel is best if towing often. Go thinner if not.
In the summer heat I'm a big fan of the euro 0w-40 oils. They are the best bang for the buck out there however during winter and -40c starts a 20 grade is much more appropriate.

Not a bad day at all. However I see this nonsense spouted for truth here at least weekly so I blast it for the utter nonsense it is.

As far as my attitude goes I guess that's subjective.

I for one post from experience above what a dealer or daddy or grandpaw told me. If my bluntness is taken for attitude so be it. I'd much rather be considered a jerk that informed honestly than a nice guy who just kept repeating info without any actual thought or trial.
See in the world there are people who follow blindly and those who lead by trying and learning.
I'm the latter,you've shown to be the former. Perhaps bury yourself in the BITOG archives and open your mind.

I'd much rather be considered a jerk that informed honestly than a nice guy who just kept repeating info without any actual thought or trial.
See in the world there are people who follow blindly and those who lead by trying and learning.
I'm the latter,you've shown to be the former.

Re posted as one of the best comebacks ever. Good job!

Point...Clevy!

So what does the engine hold, 7 quarts? It burned through 3-4 quarts in 700 miles? Wow. Lucky the customer checked his oil 700 miles later or it could have been disaster. Why did he call by the way? Just to tell you?

What do you suppose could have caused the abnormal consumption? You don't suppose it could have been underfilled do you?

5w20 is very important. I've seen a 5.7L filled w Shell 5w30 burn through oil on a highway trip and nearly lost a motor. Customer requested 5w30 vs 5w20 and called from 700 miles away. No reading on dipstick, no leaks. Local dealer towed and did the change w 5w20 and all was well.

Ohh, when you said " I've seen a 5.7L filled w Shell 5w30 burn through oil on a highway trip and nearly lost a motor", I thought you meant you saw it. My bad.

Bad day Clevy?:
Just relaying what the dealer told me. Wrong weight oil caused consumption. I was not there.
I was OK with their diagnosis, as was the driver.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So what does the engine hold, 7 quarts? It burned through 3-4 quarts in 700 miles? Wow. Lucky the customer checked his oil 700 miles later or it could have been disaster. Why did he call by the way? Just to tell you?

What do you suppose could have caused the abnormal consumption? You don't suppose it could have been underfilled do you?

Guaranteed it was underfilled because the consumption idea makes no sense.

Look. I'm not saying don't use a 20 grade. The hemi engine has proven durable and long lasting using it.
For example a few years ago I acquired a 2004 ram quad cab hemi. I bought it from the farmer who bought it off the lot. He ran 5000 mile intervals on conventional 5w-20. I got it with over 200k on the odo and totalled it at 250ish and that truck consumed no oil between changes and honestly when I drove it vs my dads 2012 he owned at the time I couldn't feel any difference in power which impressed me.
So the engine is well matched using a 20 grade. My only point is that implying it's the ONLY grade to use or the sky will fall is nonsensical and laughable.
I run thicker oil in the summer because of how I drive my charger. Oil temps get high and stay high for quite some time when I'm playing and I'm more comfortable using a thicker oil.
Is it required,absolutely not however my shoes aren't a one size fits all and neither are my driving habits and I choose to make an educated decision based on many factors and not just what I'm told by someone whose interest it is to tell me something specific whether they themselves believe it or not b
Just sayin

Originally Posted By: rossn2

Yes, I own one and get 27mpg on Hwy with a half-ton 4x4, with a Ranch Hand Brush Guard...What will the HEMI get?

no brushguard here and no 4wd, my hemi gets 100 i-dont-care miles-per-gallon
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: billt460
It's hard to believe these new engines are so weight specific.

They are not.

Exactly.

Let's think about this. At -15c a 5w-20 is really thick at start up however the hemi runs just fine with this thick cold oil. Mds and vvt operate and I can personally vouch for MDS engaging with oil temps at 60f since my charger has digital temp and pressure displays and I've witnessed this phenomenon during the winter.
So we have established that these systems operate as designed with thick cold 5w-20.
So are we trying to say that these systems won't work properly with a 40 grade when the oil is hot. Since the hot 40 grade is substantially thinner than the cold 20 grade how sensible is it to believe that the heavier grade will cause an issue when the cold thinner grade is actually thicker for a period of time.

Makes no sense whatsoever.
I agree but the many people without thought believe the internet "expert" regurgitations.

Last edited:
I am seriously enjoying the mileage thing.

While I am impressed by my new 5.7 Ram's mileage (18 in the city with 3.91 gears) it was absolutely not a consideration when buying the truck.

The smooth, almost electric feeling drivetrain is one of the truck's nicest features. Plus 395 hp is hardly an economy car...

I could not have said it better myself Steve! I agree 135%!

I drove my first 2105 F150 3.5L Ecoboost yesterday! It is a awesome truck!

But in my eyes it does not compare with the 5.7L-8speed-3:92!
I don't mind the average MPG when the truck is this much fun to drive!

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I could not have said it better myself Steve! I agree 135%!

I drove my first 2105 F150 3.5L Ecoboost yesterday! It is a awesome truck!

But in my eyes it does not compare with the 5.7L-8speed-3:92!
I don't mind the average MPG when the truck is this much fun to drive!

I really,really like the ford ecoboost trucks. And to be honest I was never a dodge guy. It was bow ties and mustangs for me.
Then I ended up with an 04 quad cab 4x4 with a hemi. Now the 4wd system wasn't near as good or as capable as my 99 silverado however there was no comparo in the power dept.
Anyway that 04 hemi really opened my eyes to dodge. So much so that I bought my charger.
And on the highway my charger is capable of 30mpg,with a hemi. Unreal.
Then sadly though I love mustangs my charger will smash any comparable year mustang and do it without spilling my coffee or interrupting my kids watching Barney or Barbie on the DVD system.
Not apples to apples but as I age I find myself wanting my vehicles to have more range as far as utility,and the charger is a family mans dream.
Fast as heck. Gets groceries just as easy as time slips and is a fantastic long tripper. Tough act to follow for the dollar spent.
And yes I used to be that guy trashing dodge this and that. Not anymore.

Originally Posted By: billt460
If an engine, ANY engine burned through a GALLON of oil in just 700 miles, wouldn't there be smoke? A LOT of blue / white smoke?

One would assume so. That's a serious volume of oil to be burning,and a catalytic convertor won't burn it off either,which leads me to believe there is only one explanation.
The oil was underfilled from the start. Consumption like that is insane and would certainly be visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back