Different finish on remans from same company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While doing some brake work last weekend, I noticed that two re-manufactured caliper carriers I purchased had different paint/rust-proof finishes. Same company (A1/Cardone), same part number, same box.

One had a "neutral" look to it, much like the description picture online, and the other one looked like it was poorly spray painted silver. The description does have this fine print: "Product appearance and finish may vary, but fit and function remain the same."

Any ideas why? Do they have multiple facilities with varying standards/processes? Which is better?

41IOaJbJOAL.jpg

Either A1 Cardone sourced the parts from different suppliers (I doubt they do all of their rebuilding in house), or they changed their supplier/spec for the finish coating for any number of reasons (but probably cost and availability).

Originally Posted By: spavel6

Do they have multiple facilities with varying standards/processes?

41IOaJbJOAL.jpg

Probably, and they're all probably equally [censored]. Or maybe someone pulled the old switch-a-roo at the parts store.

Get one of each to test them and let the board know your results.

Most NA reman brake calipers are sourced from various different means: from user core exchange to junkyard rotting stuff. When they received these so-called "cores", part of the procedure is to sand-blast the rust off of the units to rid of dirt, grease, rust, etc. and then followed by cleaning processes before some kind of measurements to take place (to see if those "cores" are fit for rebuilds/remains.

Most low-end remans simply have their blasted reman caliper assemblies coated with some kind of oily/waxy based stuff that looks clear, and this coating tends to wear off fairly quickly (esp. in rust belt areas where winter road salt splash will accelerate that).

Certain factory calipers (such as ATE, Nissin, Aisin, Sumitomo, etc.) came originally with some form of anti-rust coating (or already baked in paint). And many times the reman facilities will strip this paint off during sand-blasting process, but not to recoat it afterwards.

I don't buy reman calipers anymore, citing that (a) almost 95% of the time, front factory calipers can be rebuild so long as the bore is not rusted/pitted; (b) sometimes, certain applications, factory OE new units (Aisin or Nissin calipers) are only 2x more than reman, and worth getting for my customers.

Q.

Just to be clear, this is only the caliper carrier - the hunk of cast iron that houses the caliper pins.

One pin boot was torn and allowed enough moisture to cause corrosion over time. No matter how much I cleaned the bore the pin would still bind.

The new Duralast boots were just slightly too big for the new pins, so time will tell if the same will happen again :-/

Quote:
"Product appearance and finish may vary, but fit and function remain the same."

I wished aftermarket companies would adhere to OEM spec better. Not "restoration" parts quality, but at least a durable coating. I almost guarantee that the EPA has something to do with this!! I bet it is under the clean air act, and I think if you don't meet the VOC guidelines you are assessed a "fee".

A lot of these coatings are probably not better, but cheaper and compliant to Government regulations, sad.

Last time I looked a a rebuilt item, they didn't bother cleaning the case, they just painted over it. Absolutely horrible! It's as if they were not even trying! If it matters, it was a A/C compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back