Royal Purple research giving me a panic attack????

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.crash.net/f1/feature/199831/1/fluid-technology-solutions-for-f1.html ....Favorite recent Formula1 article discussed how more VI benefits you in the super hot areas of the engine, keeping the oil from thinning out: quoted: "....the new engine oil for the 2014 car is a precisely balanced mixture of advanced, thinner synthetic base oils to help cooling and polymer viscosity boosters (which kick-in at higher temperatures) to thicken the oil. "

People tend to think VI improver only helps your engine when cold, yet it continues to prevent thinning when hot too. Ring temperatures are very hot.
Could be a reason to use the highest VI oil you can find for your application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Nice try but using using your simplistic "halving formula" would make M1 0W-20 lighter than Sustina 0W-20 even at -35C

OK, you need to explain your logic here.

I know exactly his logic. He's using the straight VI plot and extending it as high or low in the temp. range as he wants. That's where all those fantastic numbers like 40% lighter or heavier come from.

You are right that he is a good salesman and that is why he avoids the MRV and CCS numbers. They give more realistic differences in single digit to low double digit percentage points at the very extreme low tempertaurtes. Since oil viscosity vs temperature doesn't follow a linear relationship, but instead is a non-linear one, the closer you get to the operating temperature, the smaller the difference in viscosity.

Even OVERKILL agrees with the use of a viscosity graph down to 0C so what's your problem?

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
http://www.crash.net/f1/feature/199831/1/fluid-technology-solutions-for-f1.html ....Favorite recent Formula1 article discussed how more VI benefits you in the super hot areas of the engine, keeping the oil from thinning out: quoted: "....the new engine oil for the 2014 car is a precisely balanced mixture of advanced, thinner synthetic base oils to help cooling and polymer viscosity boosters (which kick-in at higher temperatures) to thicken the oil. "

People tend to think VI improver only helps your engine when cold, yet it continues to prevent thinning when hot too. Ring temperatures are very hot.

You're absolutely right which is way the most advanced race oils have high VIs.

I have given you the data before when you high-jacked that PP 0W-20 vs TGMO thread a while back with a similar M1 praising rant, which you have conveniently chosen to forget. Anyway here it is again.
M1 has a CCS @-35C of 4110cP. Source PQIA.
Sustina's CCS @-35C is 3550cP from the same source you got their MRV.

I would like to see PQIA's data for CCS for Sustina (though I doubt we are going to). I know it is a standardized test but still. Also, CCS and MRV are measured using two very different methods, which may help explain the difference.

The reason I am taking issue with this (and I know, you'll say to fit my agenda but there is more than that):

Quaker State 0w-20:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/quakerstate.htm

CCS: 5,958cP according to the PQIA.

According to the SOPUS data sheet:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003587108_201007020117.pdf

It should be 4,840cP (which aligns reasonably well with the other values from the PQIA test)

or: 6,070cP (this data doesn't align as well
21.gif
) if we use this PDS:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Quaker_State_Ultimate_Durability_0W-20_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil_%28SN_GF-5_2013%29_%28en%29_TDS.pdf

And even with the above data, it gets more curious
wink.gif

The older QS 0w-20 with the 4,840cP CCS has an MRV of 17,500cP
The newer QS 0w-20 with the 6,070cP CCS has an MRV of 15,000cP

Which easily explains the difference in CCS between M1 0w-20 and Sustina on the CCS test if the data IS accurate
smile.gif

Despite M1 having a 4% lower MRV it's CCS viscosity is already 14% higher at -35C and that viscosity trend continues to 0C where Sustina is 50% lighter.

No, this just means it has a higher CCS @ -35C than it has MRV at -35C. They are two different testing methods.

So much for relying the MRV spec' to predict viscosities at warmer temp's.

Not quite. If we use MRV, the difference remains. If we use CCS, the difference remains. We just get different results for the two different testing methodologies.

A good read on this (which explores the limits of CCS and MRV and actually gives some exceptional examples, like a 4.0L engine that the oil will not pump in above 30,000cP MRV, despite the newer limit, established in 1995, of 60,000cP, which applied to newer engines):

here: CCS and MRV differences

MRV and CCS spec's aren't very relevant at temp's warmer than -30C for 0W-XX oils. You agree that using a viscosity calculator KV40/KV100 spec's will predict viscosity down to at least 0C. The ultra high VI 0W-20s like TGMO, MGMO and SynGard are 40% or more lighter at that temperature and that head start advantage as temp's decline further should hold up until at least -30C if the Sustina spec's are anything to go by.

I would say they begin to lose relevance around -15C, which, between that point, and 0C, there is a crossover between that testing methodology and calculated visc from a calc.

Once we are below 0C, the thickening characteristics of the lubricants will vary greatly depending on the base oil blend and how it is additized. A quick glance at some of the XOM Chemical PDS's for their excellent PAO base oils demonstrates part of that. But we've been over that before, it is amazing stuff.

I would love to have the equipment to plot each of those products in 5C increments down from 40C to the MRV temp to see how the curves look. I'm sure you'd be interested in that data as well.

Since this thread is about RP 0W-20 it is 12% lighter than M1 at 0C and it's MRV is 20,000cP, typical for a 0W-20. The 34,000cP figure is for their 0W-40, they have obviously been transposed. RP's lower 0C viscosity advantage vs M1 should be good to at least -10C and perhaps lower, it is really hard to predict short of actually trying both oils in a car with an OP gauge.

If the 0w-40 and 0w-20 have been transposed, then so have the 5w-20 and 5w-40. Look at those values too. Also, if you believe this is in error, Royal Purple should be contacted. As it stands, those are the values on the sheet, so they are what we have to go by. Based on those numbers, the cold temperature performance for the 0w-20 is comparatively awful.

And that 12% is insignificant; a few cSt. The big difference is below 0C if the PDS is accurate, which I have no reason to believe it isn't at this point, given the other values on it.

The other thing to remember when choosing any 0W-20 regardless of what it's MRV/CCS spec's are, if the start-up temp' are below -30C you're starting the engine well within the cold cranking and borderline pumping limits of the oil. Once the engine fires up what's important next is how quickly the oil warms up and thins out. Since the high VI oils are so much lighter as you approach 0C the oil pump will come out of bypass mode sooner on idle and you'll be able to use progressively more rev's out of bypass as the oil continues to warn up and thin out.

But once the oil begins warming, the viscosity drop is dramatic regardless. I'm not concerned about how quickly it goes from 400cP to 100cP for example, I'm more concerned with how quickly it goes from my start-up temp, which, if it is -35C, could be 10's of thousands of cP to that 400cP number. That is going to happen a lot quicker with an oil with superior CCS/MRV specs; that curve is less steep. An excellent example of that would be Sustina vs the QS product I mentioned earlier which is literally twice as heavy. Based on MRV, the Sustina is going to be half as thick right up to -15C (roughly). If we use CCS, there is a similar difference between the Sustina and the newer QS 0w-20, with the CCS being almost double that of the Sustina product. It will hold that advantage the entire way to operating temperature (getting progressively less significant of course but still). If we choose two random data points closer to 0C, the Sustina product could be 400cP whilst the QS product is still 800cP.

And of course the other factor is how well the oils that are reliant on base oil VI hold up over time vs oils that are additized to perform a certain way. That's a curious situation that I think we also need to ponder. How well things like PPD's age and how it affects this data over an OCI.

And wide visc splits like the Mobil 1 race oils.

As long as the VII's hold up, the products have a number of advantages.

Have you had a chance to check out the Honda oil thread?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

... In parts stores, and even at Wal-Mart itself, RP qt bottles are priced right there with the other synthetics. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

For instance here are some local( to me )Wal-Mart qt bottle regular prices...

RP API 5W20 - $7.97 **
Castrol Edge 5W20 - $7.99
M1EP 5W20 - $8.98
Valvoline Synpower 5W20 - $7.98

** - FWIW Wal-Mart doesn't appear to carry RP HPS 5W20 but they do have the HPS 5W30 for $8.72 a qt. The M1EP 5W30 is $8.98 like the 5W20 so you can even get RP HPS, in a qt bottle, for less than a qt bottle of M1EP at Wal-Mart.

RP API 5W20 is actually cheaper, p/qt bottle, than M1EP, Edge, and Synpower. QSUD and PP are both sold for less( approx. $6.50 p/qt bottle ). Can't get a price on PU but I am sure it would easily be at least $7.50.

I know, I know, the 5qt bottles are cheaper than RP 5qt bottles. Not my point. Blanket statements about "RP being the most expensive on the shelf" are just not accurate. Go to any parts store and the same pricing differences/range as I show above will be there. RP API will be a little cheaper than some and a little more than others.

Not everyone buys their oil at Wal-Mart and not everyone wants or needs a 5qt jug. Wal-Mart 5qt jug pricing is not the end all be all. You can also go online or find local sources like speed shops where you can get it for even less as I do.

My statement was not a blanket statement, and it was accurate for my buying options in my area (local to me), which I made clear in my post. As far as ordering motor oil goes, not everyone wants to do that (and I don't). I buy almost all of my oil from other stores ... I don't buy that much from WM. I just mentioned WM because I know that a lot of people buy their oil from there. Also, my post was in response to Garak (I was having a conversation with Garak); I wasn't trying to enter into the lengthy debate about RP. I have nothing against Royal Purple at all. I was going to type more of an explanation, but none is really needed. I'm not going to get into a big debate about it. From now on, when I see a RP thread, I will just move on to the next thread because I choose not to be involved in a lengthy thread about it ... I have no interest in doing so.

Shouldn't there be some kind of warning note on BITOG that asking questions about Royal Purple motor oil can cause long, unresolvable debates? I'm sure it makes noobies think we're a bunch of psychos.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Shouldn't there be some kind of warning note on BITOG that asking questions about Royal Purple motor oil can cause long, unresolvable debates? I'm sure it makes noobies think we're a bunch of psychos.

Royal Purple
K&N
0w20 vs anything
etc..

Originally Posted By: Tony10s

... In parts stores, and even at Wal-Mart itself, RP qt bottles are priced right there with the other synthetics. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

RP API 5W20 - $7.97 **
M1EP 5W20 - $8.98

** - FWIW Wal-Mart doesn't appear to carry RP HPS 5W20 but they do have the HPS 5W30 for $8.72 a qt. The M1EP 5W30 is $8.98 like the 5W20 so you can even get RP HPS, in a qt bottle, for less than a qt bottle of M1EP at Wal-Mart.

RP API 5W20 is actually cheaper, p/qt bottle, than M1EP, Edge, and Synpower. QSUD and PP are both sold for less( approx. $6.50 p/qt bottle ). Can't get a price on PU but I am sure it would easily be at least $7.50.

I know, I know, the 5qt bottles are cheaper than RP 5qt bottles. Not my point. Blanket statements about "RP being the most expensive on the shelf" are just not accurate. Go to any parts store and the same pricing differences/range as I show above will be there. RP API will be a little cheaper than some and a little more than others.

Not everyone buys their oil at Wal-Mart and not everyone wants or needs a 5qt jug. Wal-Mart 5qt jug pricing is not the end all be all. You can also go online or find local sources like speed shops where you can get it for even less as I do.

My statement was not a blanket statement, and it was accurate for my buying options in my area (local to me), which I made clear in my post. As far as ordering motor oil goes, not everyone wants to do that (and I don't). I buy almost all of my oil from other stores ... I don't buy that much from WM. I just mentioned WM because I know that a lot of people buy their oil from there. Also, my post was in response to Garak (I was having a conversation with Garak); I wasn't trying to enter into the lengthy debate about RP. I have nothing against Royal Purple at all. I was going to type more of an explanation, but none is really needed. I'm not going to get into a big debate about it. From now on, when I see a RP thread, I will just move on to the next thread because I choose not to be involved in a lengthy thread about it ... I have no interest in doing so.

Other than clearance items, and not including taxes and any environmental fees and such, Wal-Mart pricing is pretty much the same nation wide. I just looked online at pricing for the Richmond Wal-Mart and the prices are the same as what I posted for around here from earlier. I only added "local to me" because I was using my local store for pricing not because I felt it would be different in VA or elsewhere which I know it really is not.

I think "maybe" you just assume because the 5qt jugs are cheaper that the qt bottles are as well. Maybe not. Maybe your local Wal-Mart has different pricing than the rest of the country. Not being a tool and I apologize if it comes across that way. Just pointing out what I believe to be a mistake in what you posted.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

How about the Mod's just remove the posts from people who post negatively JUST to do so with comments like it is unicorn tears? How about they remove the posts where the detractors make snide, rude, and insulting comments about those who post positively about RP? Basically don't allow the thread to go down the toilet with post from people adding nothing constructive to the thread in any manner and who's sole reason for posting is to stir it up or just simply be negative for negativity's sake? Is that not a Mod's job?

I have no issue with anyone who dislikes RP for a legit reason or who can be respectful in their posts. That is not how it goes though. I am curious if the foolishness that goes on in every RP thread would be allowed if it happened in other brand threads?

Was talking to RP tech dept about a week ago and I was told that they worry about VI first and then everything else.

I am curious if the foolishness that goes on in every RP thread would be allowed if it happened in other brand threads?

No. RP isn't a site sponsor, which is why it's a free-for-all here. You will notice that the 'other' boutique oil, which has a site sponsor...well...that brand gets a free pass on this website.

You been sleeping the past almost 800 posts? I've never seen Amsoil get a "free pass" on here. Much of the same criticism I see about RP in this thread is what I see about that brand as well. Inflated claims, expensive price, marketing techniques.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
No. RP isn't a site sponsor, which is why it's a free-for-all here. You will notice that the 'other' boutique oil, which has a site sponsor...well...that brand gets a free pass on this website.

Here, RP is the most expensive oil on the shelf AT WAL-MART IN 5QT JUGS (except for the recent sale I noticed on the 0W-20 oil).

Fixed it for you.
grin2.gif

In parts stores, and even at Wal-Mart itself, RP qt bottles are priced right there with the other synthetics. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

RP API 5W20 - $7.97 **
M1EP 5W20 - $8.98

Royal Purple 5w-20 in 5Qt at Walmart is $37.80 or $7.56/qt.
Mobil 1 EP 5Qt is $26.68 or $5.34/qt.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Here, RP is the most expensive oil on the shelf AT WAL-MART IN 5QT JUGS (except for the recent sale I noticed on the 0W-20 oil).

Fixed it for you.
grin2.gif

In parts stores, and even at Wal-Mart itself, RP qt bottles are priced right there with the other synthetics. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

RP API 5W20 - $7.97 **
M1EP 5W20 - $8.98

The above is more in line with my experience here.

I buy M1 for 22 something on sale in 5 quart jugs. Maxlife is 16 bucks! Sorry guys, you can have those boutique products, my trucks run nearly forever on cheap Wally World synth and a Fram!

Originally Posted By: Nayov

All oil sponsors, boutiques or not, take just as much of a pounding as non-sponsors.

Fixed it for you.
grin2.gif

RP API 5W20 - $7.97 **
M1EP 5W20 - $8.98

I swear people are so fixated on 5QT jugs at Wal-Mart that they are blind to what people actually post. The prices I gave above were for INDIVIDUAL ONE QUART BOTTLES!!!!! My post was not about the 5qt bottles sold at Wal-Mart but rather the individual qt bottles sold there. READ WHAT I POSTED!

Fixed it for you.
grin2.gif

RP API 5W20 - $7.97 **
M1EP 5W20 - $8.98

I swear people are so fixated on 5QT jugs at Wal-Mart that they are blind to what people actually post. The prices I gave above were for INDIVIDUAL ONE QUART BOTTLES!!!!! My post was not about the 5qt bottles sold at Wal-Mart but rather the individual qt bottles sold there. READ WHAT I POSTED!

And if you get them on clearance it's an even better deal, like the 2 bottles of RP API 0W-20 I just got for $21 each. Sometimes Pep Boys has deals where you can get 5 quarts of RP API with a RP filter for something like $30 or $35, which isn't too bad either IMO. I just recently bought 12 quarts of RP HPS 5W-20 on eBay for just under $88 including shipping, which I was happy with considering it still has the better synerlec additive package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back