Cheap 2 tons jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably for you it'd be fine, but if I was doing some major work on the car I'd spend the extra coin to know it won't give out on me

I have two of those. They are both well over twenty years old. You can buy nicer jacks that provide higher, or faster, lifting but they are more than adequate for what you want to do. Having two makes tire rotations quick and easy for me.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Iv always made it a rule not to go cheap with things I trust to save my live from a 2 ton car crushing me.

You never go under a car without jack stands

I use 2 cheap jack stands to hold all of my cars.
Each one is 3 Ton rated, checked the build quality and made sure it is not cheaply welded or flimsy and it also has a security pin.

I got a deal a few years ago, a 2 ton trolley jack and a pair of 2 ton axle stands all for £50!

Daily use and they haven't failed me yet, heaviest vehicles so far have been a Range Rover, Mercedes E430 and a Ford Transit.

I used a cheapie jack, patience, and ratchet stands to rebuild my engine in my driveway. Just added wood blocks to get more height.

If you have hot weather on asphalt, the thin wheels of cheapie jacks can dig in a little bit.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Iv always made it a rule not to go cheap with things I trust to save my live from a 2 ton car crushing me.

You never go under a car without jack stands

And I very well understand that, however to what degree of quality do you think a $30 jack/jack stand combo set will be.

Its not like it costs into the hundreds for a good set of jack stands. I don't really know what weight your car is but wouldn't you feel safer under a nice thick set of jack stands verus theses?

You can get a cheap jack for $15-$20 but I would highly recommend that you go with a higher quality set. I lost a highschool buddy many years back due to a a bargian set of jack stands. Hence the rule I never go cheap when it comes to safety.

Not in my shop. A quality jack isn't that expensive, and I prefer not to invest my money in bottom of the barrel products. Chances are the jack and jack stands are made in China (or a third world country), and at that price point there is very little concern for quality or quality control.

That little jack will be frustrating in use. I used one for years, and then purchased my present larger jack. The larger jack is far easier to use.

Buy once, cry once.

Harbor freight has a low profile 3ton Pittsburgh floor jack for $94. I've had pretty good luck with Pittsburgh tools. You won't regret spending a little more for a higher load rated lift and a little more quality. The $30 lift will probably do what you have in mind and I get that your not laying under the car with just a hydraulic jack but I just prefer the ease of lifting with a little more than necessary.

Don't try and go cheap on something as important as a jackstand. Your life literally depends on these,do you really want to go bottom dollar with a piece of safety equipment as important as this?? Spend the extra cash and get the good ones. Also remember these will probably get passed down to your kids, grandkids or whoever so won't you feel better knowing they will be using a quality jackstand versus one you tried to save a buck on??

If you intend to use this for tire changes only, never get under the raised car for anything, then it's okay. Otherwise, you need a good minimum 3-ton jack stands.

Remember that you only pay once for jack stands and it can be used for the rest of your life. Don't cheap out on something that your life depends on.

Originally Posted By: JohnMack
Don't try and go cheap on something as important as a jackstand. Your life literally depends on these,do you really want to go bottom dollar with a piece of safety equipment as important as this?? Spend the extra cash and get the good ones. Also remember these will probably get passed down to your kids, grandkids or whoever so won't you feel better knowing they will be using a quality jackstand versus one you tried to save a buck on??

I already got a pair of jackstands I just needed a jack for tire changes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-3-Ton-Jack-Stand-Pair/14560047

3ton Blackjack for walmart.

Last edited:
I've found many a use for my jack outside of cars. A larger jack that can lift high, and be stable under several hundred pounds of weight, is a great tool to have.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: JohnMack

I already got a pair of jackstands I just needed a jack for tire changes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-3-Ton-Jack-Stand-Pair/14560047

3ton Blackjack for walmart.

Sorry Stewie I obviously did not read your original post close enough (slight case of ADD).

Save your money on a low profile jack. I have the costco arcan one now for 3 years and it's my favorite one i have ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back