Opinions about New ZTRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already been mentioned in this thread are Hustler, Scag, Exmark and Ferris. There you go. Find what dealers you have in the area because you will need parts and service occasionally.

And with only 1.3 acres, you wont need one of the full commercial top of the line $7000 mowers. Once of the prosumer/light commercial units in the $3500 range will last you 20 years with such light use.

I would skip Lawnsite.com and go to Lawnmowerforum.com instead. Much larger forum, way more users, and better advice on average.

For a couple years, I bet it's atleast $50 a cut in my area. Weekly, for 8 months a year, 3.5 years later I've spent $7000 in lawn care.

I'm planning to keep this mower for a very, very long time.

We've got a half acre lot that includes the house. I bought the smallest made by ariens with a 14.5hp one-lung briggs. I can knock it out in 45 minutes, but prefer to go slower because frankly it's fun. I started doing the neighbor's front lawn also since she's a single mom working long hours. You won't need a big ztr for that lot. they can move pretty quick.

Ariens is the consumer line of gravely. the only difference between mine and the gravely model is 1) paint color 2) engine. consumers get briggs, gravely gets.... I think it was kohler? the one-lung briggs had less vibration than the v-twin, at the cost of 1-2 hp.

I aerate anually, and the little ariens hasn't had any trouble with it, but it obviously struggles to steer when it's at its traction limit.

I think I paid ~$1500 for it and couldn't be happier, at the dealer.

Mowed the lawn over the weekend with my dad's Husqvarna 38" ZTR. Took about 2 hours to do.

Definitely looking forward to a bigger deck. Nice wide open yard, I think a 60" would do quite well.

We have 1.25 acres and last year I purchased a Toro ss5060, 50 inch with the 23 horsepower Kawasaki for about $3200. It's been fantastic. The zero turns are definitely the way to go.

If you're dead set on spending that kind of money, I'd go with a Scag. I've used several over the years and they are built like a freaking tank.

1.75 acres. Lots of trees. Had a rider, took 4+hrs. Now have a JD z445 and I do it in about 1-1.25 hrs. I am not anal about my lawn. I live in the country.

54"(?) deck, solid machine, I am not easy on it. I bounce the deck off most trees, and I do reverse drops (wheelies) when wet grass builds up in the deck. Honestly I beat it pretty bad. No problems. Cuts good at WOT which is 8-8.5mph IIRC. 27hp Kawisaki.

$42xx on sale at local JD dealer.

Just another option. I'm not saying it's the best of the best, but it's a good mower for the $$$.

I'm not fond of mowing the grass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: catdiesel
Give Bad Boy a look. Unless you like paying more and getting less for your money.

I'll definitely take a look at them.

I got a price on a Dixie Chopper Magnum HP for $6400. Big perk is this comes with a Kaw FX engine and the local dealer is really good.

Curious question:

These guys make some nice attachments, including a snow plow, for ZTRs. Seems like nice pieces. How strong are the mounting points they are going for on the actual ZTR. I would make an assumption that they wouldn't sell something that would destroy a ZTR in one season, but you have to wonder how it could adversely affect the ZTR.

http://www.countryzeroturn.com/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back