What Kind Of Oil Are You 5.7 HEMI Guys Running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Absolutely absurd.

Hey! You're supposed to save that reply for my posts.
laugh.gif

I've run mostly PP 5w20 in my Hemi, but it's seen a few runs of M1 0w30 as well. I had the 0w30 in my stash and wanted to use it up. I had no problems at all with running a thicker oil. I've actually got some GC that needs to be used up, and I was planning to run that this summer. They're great engines; my only complaint is the short spark plug change intervals. Mine is getting platinums next time.

Absolutely absurd.

If you are truly trying to say a hemi engine consumed all the 5w-30 and almost killed the engine yet no problems with 5w-20 you better stick around and start at the very beginning of BITOG and read every single thread,because it's total nonsense.

Oh, it's possible, assuming whoever added the 5w-30 in the first place stuck only one quart in the thing, or nothing at all, or doesn't know how to tighten a drain plug or oil filter. But, of course, moving one grade caused an entire sump to burn off in 700 miles. Whoever changed the oil made absolutely no mistakes, other than fudging the viscosity a bit.

I based my reply on Ursatdx's post. I have a real hard time believing such a slight weight change in motor oil would cause oil burning.

If I go with this HEMI, I live in the desert Southwest. (Phoenix area now, Lake Havasu City next year). In Phoenix it can get 115 in June and July. In Lake Havasu it can get to over 120 during the same time. Wouldn't 5W-20 be a little too thin? When I lived in Lake Havasu in the 90's, during the Summer I would drain straight 40W out of my 5.0 Fords, and it would come out like water. I always ran thicker oil in the hot Summer months. But I want to be careful with this new HEMI Grand Cherokee. What do you guys suggest?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Do places like Wal Mart carry it? I ask because I had briefly considered the 3.0 Eco Diesel. However it only has 2 types of oil that meets Chrysler's specs. One of which was Pennzoil Ultra Euro L, which you can only get on line from E-Bay or else Amazon. Not to mention it's high cost, and the fact you need 10+ quarts.

Add to that $45.00 oil filters and $100.00 fuel filters, a DEF system, and all of a sudden any savings on fuel seemed moot, and the HEMI started looking pretty good! Also, on the Eco Diesel it's a pain to get at the oil filter. You've got to remove the bonnet as well as the air intake plumbing, and move another line out of the way. It also requires a 15 to 30 minute wait per Chrysler after refilling, before you restart the engine. No "Quick Lube" places here. And there is no guarantee that a dealer would even do it correctly. I don't want or need a vehicle that turns an oil change into a Moon shot. I like the fact the HEMI uses a spin on filter. The fancy oil I can live with, just as long as I don't have to go on a safari to buy it.

I scrapped the idea because of the emissions system, and the problems associated with it messing up the valves and turbos I read and heard about. Granted it is the internet and a few stories but, too much risk for too little reward for me.

If I go with this HEMI, I live in the desert Southwest. (Phoenix area now, Lake Havasu City next year). In Phoenix it can get 115 in June and July. In Lake Havasu it can get to over 120 during the same time. Wouldn't 5W-20 be a little too thin? When I lived in Lake Havasu in the 90's, during the Summer I would drain straight 40W out of my 5.0 Fords, and it would come out like water. I always ran thicker oil in the hot Summer months. But I want to be careful with this new HEMI Grand Cherokee. What do you guys suggest?

Not a Hemi, but I have towed in 110-115F degree heat with xW-20 in my FX4 with no issues whatsoever and I have towed about 45% of the 145K miles that I have on it now. If your OM recommends another grade for higher heat you could use it, but if not, I would follow the recommended oil and be worry free. Remember that most xW-30s shear into a xW-20 at some point anyway.

Good to hear. I'll just stick with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. I just came from my local Wal-Mart and they've got it in both 5 and 1 quart jugs. $25.77 for a 5 quart, and $7.14 for 1 quart. They also have OEM Mopar oil filters as well. Wal-Mart is so much cheaper for oil compared to any of the chain auto supply stores.

You will be just fine with that PP 5W20 in your HEMI. Good choice. It is always best while under warranty to just stay with what the mfg spec's. For your application it is as others have posted but I will repeat a 5W20 that is API Certified w/ Starburst and that meets Chrysler MS6395. That engine will be just fine with a 5W20 towing and in heat.

Also, make sure you change it within the max allowed for time or mileage( it is whichever comes 1st ). Don't go into it with a preplanned OCI. Read the manual and make sure you stay within the allowed for limits. Even if you plan to go by the OLM there is still a max time/mileage that applies as well if it hasn't tripped yet. My 08 HEMI Ram had an OLM but it was never even close to tripping when the max time/mileage rolled around even when I was towing a lot. In the OM it will give you the max OCI you can do period. Chrysler has gone to like a year and 10K now on most vehicles but I am not sure what the 15 GC will be? IT would be best for you to look it up once you purchase the vehicle in your OM.

EDIT - I was curious so I just went and downloaded the 15 GC OM and to my surprise the max allowed for OC is 6 months or 6000 miles. That means no 1 year and 10K or more OCI's while under warranty. I am really surprised they have such a short OCI compared to a lot of their other new vehicles. Huh.

Originally Posted By: Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015 Owners Manual

Page 538
MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE:

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first.

Chrysler has really become picky about warranty so there is really no good reason to give them any grounds to look for ways out of repairs if they did happen( 5.7L's are very good motors so no problems should happen ). Stay within the max allowed for OCI, use the correct weight and spec'd oil, and you will be good to go.

Congrat's a little early on the new ride.

Last edited:
While I was at Wal-Mart I noticed that both Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and 5W-30 both meet the Chrysler MS6395 spec. Does that mean I can use either with no warranty worries?

Bad day Clevy?:
Just relaying what the dealer told me. Wrong weight oil caused consumption. I was not there.
I was OK with their diagnosis, as was the driver.

I will not go back to the beginning and read every post, that would be absurd, Truly absurd.
Judging by your post count you should probably take a breather from the forum, perhaps a day or two away may help with your rotting attitude.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
5w20 is very important. I've seen a 5.7L filled w Shell 5w30 burn through oil on a highway trip and nearly lost a motor. Customer requested 5w30 vs 5w20 and called from 700 miles away. No reading on dipstick, no leaks. Local dealer towed and did the change w 5w20 and all was well.

FORMULASHELL® CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL meets or exceeds:
• North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and
gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SN with Resource Conserving, SN, SM, SL, SJ etc. oils are specified
• ILSAC GF-5 standard
• Meets to GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)
• Meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30)
• Meets Ford WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A specifications (SAE 5W-20), and WSS-M2C946-A and WSSM2C929-A
specifications (5W-30)

Absolutely absurd.

If you are truly trying to say a hemi engine consumed all the 5w-30 and almost killed the engine yet no problems with 5w-20 you better stick around and start at the very beginning of BITOG and read every single thread,because it's total nonsense.

Heck I have a 2013 hemi manual that says if truck will be used for tow duty then 5w-30 can be substituted.
So is Chrysler intentionally trying to destroy their engines by saying use 5w-30 in heavy duty usage.
Gimme a break. Truly absurd.
Now we have 4 hemi's in our family. I've got an 06 charger with mds. I use 0w-40 in the summer and 5w-20 in the winter. No consumption whatsoever nor is there any fuel consumption changes either.
My brothers 08 ram uses whatever I've got handy from a 20 grade in the winter to a 15w-40 hdeo for my forklift and at 280000 miles no consumption whatsoever on any grade.
My uncles 2012,which I service gets a 20 in the winter and a 30 in the summer and no changes in fuel economy nor any consumption.
My inherited 2013 ram just got filled up with 0w-40 and not a single issue.

So your comment is not only absurd but laughable.
These hemi engines are able to run any grade lubricant. Is a 15w-40 optimal? It is when towing 6000 pounds across the province and oil temps remain elevated the entire trip. However at 0c it's not optimal but certainly works just fine.
I've learned based on my experience with the hemi engine is match the oil grade to ambient temps and operating conditions of the vehicle. It's just that simple.
Use a 0w-30 if that's what you feel is best if towing often. Go thinner if not.
In the summer heat I'm a big fan of the euro 0w-40 oils. They are the best bang for the buck out there however during winter and -40c starts a 20 grade is much more appropriate.

Last edited:
I have the 5.7L Hemi in both my 2014 Ram 1500 and 2015 Challenger. I use 5W-20 Penzoil Platinum Ultra in both. The Ram gets an OEM filter. The Challenger gets a premium Royal Purple filter. I was getting some brief start-up clatter in the Challenger and it has not done so since I switched to the Royal Purple filter. The OEM filter has a nitrile anti-drain back valve and the Royal Purple a silicon valve. I think that might have made the difference with a better drain back seal.

While I was at Wal-Mart I noticed that both Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and 5W-30 both meet the Chrysler MS6395 spec. Does that mean I can use either with no warranty worries?

NO!

Not while under warranty. Use 5W20 only.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

NO!

Not while under warranty. Use 5W20 only.

+1

My owners manual actually says-->If 5W-20 can't not be found-->5W-30 is ok to use. Or if the 5.7L is going to be towing use 5W-30!

I have switched to 0W-30 with Not 1 Issue!! over 412 miles so far since the switch and No issues with the MDS! I have read where Many owners have switched over to 5W-30 with No issues!

The 5.7L is Very Responsive and Very Smooth and Quiet!

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Just relaying what the dealer told me. Wrong weight oil caused consumption. I was not there.

This is also the same dealer that pushes glass etching, extended warranties, undercoating, and a $400 wax job, right? If the dealer contends that a switch from 5w-20 to 5w-30 has results like this, I wouldn't trust much of anything coming from his mouth, particularly when it comes to maintenance.

I would like to know if the 5w-30 would help quiet down the lifter clatter while idling. Dang thing sounds like two of the cylinders are diesel. Kind of a noisy engine in my opinion, but "normal for the Hemi". I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 with a Wix filter. Change it every 5k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back