Europe & Low SAPS oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
That video is full of myths and is very basic overview

Low /mid saps oil have less additive and Zddp yes. But doesn't mean they need more expensive alternative chemistry. Additive systems now can offer similar wear performance but wil detergent being the level to pull for ash level.

Mid saps are 0.8% ash whereas most A3/B4 oils are around 1.1 for the 10TBN.

There's no need for Ashless TBN boosts since ACEA moved to 10TBn from 8TBN min for A3/B4. Not sure what he is thinks you need alternatives to zddp either

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Nice interview with a person working in Amsoil: XXXXXXX

He speaks about low SAPS starting from 7:18

But it's worth to see the video from the beginning.

Just because this is repeated over and over again, I will say it again: He is NOT an Amsoil employee. These videos are strictly his personal opinion.

Pablo is right. The speaker is not an AMSOIL employee, but a long time (and pretty successful) dealer. He also has taken and passed the tribologist certification. I suspect he just might know a bit more technically than some of those who post on the board.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Porsche C30 is VW504 507.

It`s funny that here on bitog many users are refering as vw504 is the same as vw507...

But its not....504 is for EURO IV engines without DPF system......and 507 is for EURO IV (or higher....) with DPF system....

You can not use vw504 oil in vehicle with DPF filter
wink.gif

504 /507 is the specification

All VW specifications are paired. Firstspec is gasoline. Second is diesel.

You cannot claim the specification individually. Hence 504 / 507 IS for diesels with DPFs as there is only one version of '504' or '507' - 504 / 507 (504 00 / 507 00 to be exact)

For non DPF diesels you need 502 00 / 505 00 or 502 00 / 505 01 (if pumpe duse engines - cam driven diesel unit injectors )

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Porsche C30 is VW504 507.

It`s funny that here on bitog many users are refering as vw504 is the same as vw507...

But its not....504 is for EURO IV engines without DPF system......and 507 is for EURO IV (or higher....) with DPF system....

wink.gif

Yep, 504.00/507.00 are paired.
For older 1.9 or 2.0 Pumpe-Duse engines VW 505.01 is required spec. or for gasoline engines is VW502.00.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

wink.gif

It's funny that here on BITOG some users are referring to VW 504 and 507 as oils for use with and without DPF. As bobbydavro says, VW combine two elements together to form their specification. The complete VW specification is actually 504 00/507 00 (although most shorten it to 504/507). They take exactly the same approach as ACEA in that they combine a gasoline part with a diesel part to form the whole spec (for example, ACEA A5/B5).

So, a VW 504/507 oil is suitable for DPFs, as it is a mid-ash specification. It is the primary longlife specification in Europe for gasoline and diesel engines.

The ACEA 'C' specs combine gasoline and diesel performance in one category. The numbers are not "higher = better".

ACEA C3 is mid-SAPS, HTHS >3.5. You can not use C1 or C2 because these are lower HTHS (2.9 minimum).

In summary:
C1 and C2 are low HTHS, C3 and C4 are 'normal' HTHS.
C1 and C3 are low SAPS (<0.5%), C2 and C4 are mid SAPS (<0.8%).

CATERHAM,

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

All the engine requires is a light A1/B1 or A5/B5 0W/5W-30. The heavier grades are what the engine will tolerate.
For best performance I'd source a A5/B5 0W-30 or 5W-30.

It is second time I hear people recommending A1/B1 or A5/B5 oils for this engine (Nissan MR20DE). I wonder, where this is coming from? Is there any official Nissan statement that these engines are designed for lighter oils?

My interest in the subject comes from the fact that I switched to Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 (ACEA A3/B4) from ELF 5W-40 ACEA A3/B4 oil 7 monthes ago and I feel that with lighter oil the engine seems to be more noisy and tough especially when cold. I bought the car new and the dealer has always been using 5W-40 in it.

However I see that people keep recommending lighter oils for Nissan MR20DE and this is so far being not confirmed as a good idea by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back