New to me Infiniti m35 2007 5w30 vs 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infiniti recommends 5w30 and I belive says 5w40 is okay in the manual.

I would like to know what the difference may be by using 0w40 or 5w30?

What is the overall recommendation from bitog for this car?

It has 91k and summer is approaching. I live in Houston and temps will easily reach 90+ and engine will be under load from ac and traffic on Hwy. But will be driven roughly 80 miles a day.

I'm coming from audi where 5w30 just seems like a bad idea but I'm not too familiar with Japanese engines.

It is true that most Nissan/Infinity engines like a 40 grade oil. I use 5W30 but have used a 10W30 & 10W40, which seem to keep the engine(s) a bit quieter. Though I have found that QS & Penz oils in the 5W30 keep it as quiet.

As far as wear, IDK if there is any difference in the 30 to 40 grade oil from UOA's here...I just don't know!

In the summer months(maybe winter too) in Houston, I would consider a 0W40 for your Infinity as these Nissan/Infinity engines as said to really beat up their oil. Others will chime in with more info!

Its true they do beat the oil up pretty good. Mobil1 0w40 seems a perfect match for these engines. In Texas i wouldn't consider anything else.

It's true that these cars are tough on oil. But...unless you're burning oil, I'd stick with the spec'd 5W30. Make sure to use a quality filter as well.

Last edited:
Well 5w30 SN and 5w40 Euro spec are worlds apart in reality. Later is much more share stable and should protect your car better. M1 0w40 is probably perfect for your car, and cheap in NA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back