07 Honda Fit - 2132 miles - Unknown dealer bulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine block was replaced at 100k miles (under warranty). I put "Unknown" dealer bulk because the service adviser said they put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20.....the paper work said Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 was used....and the sticker in the car said Pennzoil 5W20 oil was used. I did add a full bottle of Liqui Moly MOS2 right after I got the car back from the dealer. The oil sample was from the oil filter. I'm not sure if I should just leave it in until 5k or change it out now.
Not sure about Blackstone's comments on the silicon either. What do you guys think?

Blackstone comments:
There are a couple metals on the high side for only 2132 miles on the oil, but that's just normal and expected wear-in metal. We'd be surprised if it wasn't there. Honestly, these metals aren't that bad considering the major work that was done. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 7,700 miles on the oil and this engine should look that good soon. Silicon is just from harmless sealers washing. The viscosity is in the 5W20 range which is factory spec for this engine. Run 4,000 miles next and just check back.

iq95ih.jpg

Why was the engine replaced? Details would be interesting to share.

I don't think the filter is a good sample point, it should be mid stream from the drain bolt or extracted from the dip stick tube.

I would guess the filter would give the least reliable results possible.

Last edited:
Yes please explain what you mean by "the engine block was replaced at 100,000 miles under warranty"? Are you saying they rebuilt the engine by putting the old parts in a new block? I didn't think Honda had a 7 year, 100k warranty, so was this an extended policy and you had 99,xxx miles on it? Just inquiring minds.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Yes please explain what you mean by "the engine block was replaced at 100,000 miles under warranty"? Are you saying they rebuilt the engine by putting the old parts in a new block? I didn't think Honda had a 7 year, 100k warranty, so was this an extended policy and you had 99,xxx miles on it? Just inquiring minds.
Block casting quality problem.

Originally Posted By: Burt

At around 100k, I started hearing "click clack" noises when I press the accelerator. It was very subtle and hardly noticeable. Since I had purchased an extended Honda Care warranty (7 year 120k mile), I took it to couple dealers to get their opinion. One dealer said it was normal noises coming from the VTC actuator....another dealer said it was lower end noise coming from the cylinder block.

Dealer #2 wanted to replace the entire cylinder block....they ordered a brand new block from Honda and replaced the whole thing (new cylinders, crankshaft, etc). Honda replacement part number was 10002-RME-A50. I really didn't think it was necessary to replace the engine at the time, but hey....not many people get to drive 100k miles and get an engine replacement for free......

Needless to say....dealer #2 was right....after the replacement...the noise was gone and its been running great so far.

Originally Posted By: Rand
and why the additive?

I was thinking since it was a new engine, maybe perhaps using the anti-friction properties of MOS2 would help reduce initial wear.

I don't think it's PP. PP has very little boron. So unless your boron came from the Liqui Moly MOS2, it's probably not PP.

However the calcium levels don't look like PU or PYB either.

Yeah, I'm not too sure what it could be. The dealer seems to advertise that they use Pennzoil in their oil changes. Did a quickie search on the PQIA website and didn't find anything that was close to the UOA numbers.

Anyways, not sure if I should go ahead and dump it now. I've almost got 3k miles on it now and the high silicon numbers make me wonder if its a good idea to have all that in the oil until 5k-6k.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
IIRC don't those have an issue with cracking blocks? Something about a bad casting?

I'm not sure about cracking blocks or bad casting, but a couple years ago, I was involved in an accident where I was sitting at a red light and I was rear-ended pretty hard by a teenage girl not paying attention. The vehicle was sandwiched in between and I was literally stuck to the truck in front of me. Repair cost exceeded $9000. They almost totaled the car.

I'm thinking with an impact like that something HAD to have happened to the engine....maybe something got knocked loose or you would think the cylinders would have also scuffed up the walls inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back