watching buyers of expensive replacement tires go into shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put 4 tires on my roommate's car. It is a 99 Camry with that uses 195/70/14. I got her Goodyear Assurance All Seasons, out the door for $422 not including the $110 rebate from Goodyear.

What hurt was realizing that would pay for about one of the tires on my Mustang.

Originally Posted By: Rand
No smilies guys I can tell who is trolling or sarcasm.

but there are plenty of tires available in the 300$/4 range in that size.

including the well liked:
general altimax rt43

Also by the same folks (Conti/General), I got 4 PureContacts in that size for my Corolla for $300 delivered from DTD, mounted/balanced on the rims by the local Firestone shop for $59.71, but I did swap them on myself. These are 700 rated tire wear, the Michelins may last a little bit longer but I'll take the savings and a buy second set of tires later between those two deals, my average tread depth will be better.

Originally Posted By: Rand
No smilies guys I can tell who is trolling or sarcasm.

but there are plenty of tires available in the 300$/4 range in that size.

including the well liked:
general altimax rt43

I wasn't the one who was joking - I really did just have someone spend $650 on a set of Premiers for their car.

With that said, I do agree that there are cheaper options available, but the RT43 is coming from a brand that is not traditionally known for premium tires. General has traditionally been viewed as a 2nd tier player that puts out mid grade stuff. Sure, we will know more as time goes on (and especially once CR releases their testing results), but for now I don't consider the RT43s to be on the same playing field as the Premiers.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
$650 is very reasonable for new tires on a Civic.

Particularly for those on Social Security or on a VA Disability. Yup, Very reasonable.

Michelin tires are always more expensive. $650 out the door for those tires is the norm.

For me I would buy Yokohama tires, great mid priced tire with very good quality ride / wear / handling / low road noise, .... etc....

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: ccap41
Yeah, I don't know if the manufactures realize what they are doing to some people. Because a lot of people still think they can get their oil changed for 20 bucks and all four tires for a few hundred bucks and that just isn't a reality with probably ANY 2015 vehicle. I mean I am fine with it as I do my research and am into cars plenty but when I worked at a shop and somebody would roll up with a flat on a 2013-2014 and want an oil change and a new tire(some fancy low profile that most one just keep in stock) they were shocked that they needed 0w-20 oil(syn) and a $200 tire. Then I got to hear how they can't afford that. Between the ignorant consumer and the manufacturers they need to figure something out in informing the customer upon purchase of things like this. Heck, they can probably sell service packages this way.

Small tires aren't necessary the answer either. Good tires simply cost money.

I just had a new set of tires installed on a friend's 2012 Civic last week. The car takes 195/65-15.

A set of Michelin Premier A/S tires were $650 out-the-door jn that size with road hazard. And that price doesn't even include the alignment.

Wow, that's expensive! I've just bought four tyres for my dad in these exact dimension. 220 Euro with balancing for Nokian Z Line. I know it's different brand but still...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
$650 is very reasonable for new tires on a Civic.

Civics are finicky about tires, but that is way more than necessary to spend. I've bought Michelins several times for my civic and never topped over 450 after rebates. The last set I bought for a civic was Cooper CS4 and they did just as well as the Michelins.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
. . .
Yeah, I don't know if the manufactures realize what they are doing to some people. Because a lot of people still think they can get their oil changed for 20 bucks and all four tires for a few hundred bucks and that just isn't a reality with probably ANY 2015 vehicle. I mean I am fine with it as I do my research and am into cars plenty but when I worked at a shop and somebody would roll up with a flat on a 2013-2014 and want an oil change and a new tire(some fancy low profile that most one just keep in stock) they were shocked that they needed 0w-20 oil(syn) and a $200 tire. Then I got to hear how they can't afford that. Between the ignorant consumer and the manufacturers they need to figure something out in informing the customer upon purchase of things like this. Heck, they can probably sell service packages this way.

I think it would work just as well for most cars to have a 15" or 16" wheel and a tire with a deep sidewall, instead of the "slightly thicker than a rubber band" profile so many have now. On a performance or sport car, sure; and the owner should do his research before buying; but popping such low-profile setups on most sedans is overkill.

True. The only problem with small wheels(to my eye) is smaller wheels never fit the wheel well. So the bigger they went to fit the wheel well the lower profile the tires became. If they would just not make the wheel wells so large so where wasn't so much gap above the tire to the fender they could get away with a base rim being 15" and the premium being a 17" (and 16" in the middle) and they would all be more afordable.

To the post above the quote ^ : I agree that places charge too much for synthetic oil but that doesn't change the price of the tires. Where I worked Penn Syn was 54.88 and Penn Conv. was 31.88 and the ONLY difference was the oil itself, same [censored] fram filter. And 54.88 isn't a bad price to have somebody do a syn oil change for you. Most are more than that I thought. Jiffy Lube in our area was friggin $85! No way in [censored].

I just had a new set of tires installed on a friend's 2012 Civic last week. The car takes 195/65-15.

A set of Michelin Premier A/S tires were $650 out-the-door jn that size with road hazard. And that price doesn't even include the alignment.

True, but if you look at the same tire and jsut look at the difference in cost from one im size to the next. It is prety significant.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS(as an example)
245/45R17: $147/tire
245/45R18: $191/tire
245/45R19: $210/tire
All prices from TireRack(seemed like a reliable source).

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Civics are finicky about tires, but that is way more than necessary to spend. I've bought Michelins several times for my civic and never topped over 450 after rebates. The last set I bought for a civic was Cooper CS4 and they did just as well as the Michelins.

I never paid more $500(after rebate(s)) for S2000 tires. I had various brands, none was Michelin.

S2000 OE sizes: Front 215/45-17, Rear 245/40-17

I had these sizes:
Front 225/45-17, Rear 255/40-17
Current sizes: Front 215/50-17, Rear 245/45-17

True, but if you look at the same tire and just look at the difference in cost from one rim size to the next. It is prety significant.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS(as an example)
245/45R17: $147/tire
245/45R18: $191/tire
245/45R19: $210/tire
All prices from TireRack(seemed like a reliable source).

Sorry one Rim size to the next**

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
none was Michelin.

That's why. You typically pay a hefty premium for Michelin.

True, also hard to justify for some cars...

Only Michelin tire I would put on my Cobalt would be the defender, which will need the 70 buck rebate with it...

Something like the RT43 or the CS5 Touring make more sense for my car...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
none was Michelin.

That's why. You typically pay a hefty premium for Michelin.

True, also hard to justify for some cars...

Only Michelin tire I would put on my Cobalt would be the defender, which will need the 70 buck rebate with it...

Something like the RT43 or the CS5 Touring make more sense for my car...

Just for price comparison a Michelin Energy summer tyre costs 55 Euro a piece for cash, so it's not more expensive than other premium makers like Pirelli or Conti.
Toyo, Yokohama, Falken and other Asian makes are cheaper few Euros. This is for previously discussed 195/65/15 size with V speed rating.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Just for price comparison a Michelin Energy summer tyre costs 55 Euro a piece for cash, so it's not more expensive than other premium makers like Pirelli or Conti.

I don't doubt there is some country-to-country variation on this. Out here, the cheapest Michelin tire I see in that size is a T-rated Energy Saver A/S for $107, and that does not include shipping nor mounting and balancing.

You guys get Nokian tires at fairly low prices there, too. Out here, Nokians are very expensive. A set of winter Nokians for my wife's Q5 cost me about $900 OTD last year. Alas, that's in different size, obviously.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

I don't doubt there is some country-to-country variation on this. Out here, the cheapest Michelin tire I see in that size is a T-rated Energy Saver A/S for $107, and that does not include shipping nor mounting and balancing.

You guys get Nokian tires at fairly low prices there, too. Out here, Nokians are very expensive. A set of winter Nokians for my wife's Q5 cost me about $900 OTD last year. Alas, that's in different size, obviously.

QP, this tyre size is among cheapest over here (along with 195/50/15). No doubt for your Q5 we could easily triple the price.
I always buy tyres in Slovenia because they are cheaper over there and it's only half an hour away.
And because I'm Slovenian

As long as you stick to reasonable sizes (15, 16, 17), decent passenger car tires are not that expensive. You can easily get a set of 4 good quality tires in a 205/60 R16 size for $400-500.

Now if your car rides on 22 inch rims, that's a different story. But you should have known that going in...

For most people tire are a distress purchase, they are buying tires because they have to. Over here tires with less than 1.6mm of tread will earn penalty points on you drivers license, 3 per tire. 12 points mean a mandatory license suspension. Yet when I worked for a tire shop over half the tires I replaced were wel below the legal requirement, I replaced two tires on a taxi that had cord showing, the other two were also illegal. The owner was [censored] because we didn't have secondhand tires in his size.

I deplore the fashion for ever lower profiles on tires, firstly because ride quality goes out the window for a benefit in handling and grip few will ever need or notice, secondly because they are much more easily damaged, both tires and wheels, and less than perfect alignment will see them worn out on one edge way before an old fashioned 70 or 75 ratio tire.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud

I deplore the fashion for ever lower profiles on tires, firstly because ride quality goes out the window for a benefit in handling and grip few will ever need or notice, secondly because they are much more easily damaged, both tires and wheels, and less than perfect alignment will see them worn out on one edge way before an old fashioned 70 or 75 ratio tire.

Claud.

You've got that right; I doubt I'll get much over 50,000 miles out of the 215/45-18 W rated tires fitted to my Mazdaspeed 3. I sure wish 165/80-13 tires would fit it!

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Claud.

You've got that right; I doubt I'll get much over 50,000 miles out of the 215/45-18 W rated tires fitted to my Mazdaspeed 3. I sure wish 165/80-13 tires would fit it!

I've commented before about the mileage you guys get out of tyres...seriously, you're disappointed at only getting 80,000km on a set of soft, sporty, tyres fitted to a front wheel drive turbo car? Your roads must be completely straight and made of polished glass or something - over here, I'd expect that car to be done with a set of tyres within 35-40,000km, which is what, around 25,000 miles. I wonder why there's such a vast difference in the Southern Hemisphere?

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: MCompact

Claud.

I've commented before about the mileage you guys get out of tyres...seriously, you're disappointed at only getting 80,000km on a set of soft, sporty, tyres fitted to a front wheel drive turbo car? Your roads must be completely straight and made of polished glass or something - over here, I'd expect that car to be done with a set of tyres within 35-40,000km, which is what, around 25,000 miles. I wonder why there's such a vast difference in the Southern Hemisphere?

I guess he drives like a grandma in his fast car?
21.gif

Just kidding, but I think I'd like to try the 318ti on some skinny tires. I think it would be more fun on the street than the mazdaspeed3 with sticky steam roller tires. Slot car handling isn't all that fun, even with slot cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back