Is 1/2 quart overfill enough to be concerned about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Unreal. I wonder if the oil was actually hitting the crankshaft or if the computer just didn't like the extra oil because it was programed to report any extra oil. I'd be curious to know how sensitive it is. I'd keep adding 1 oz. at a time until the light went on.
grin.gif

Good idea. I will start adding 1 oz a day to see when the on-board computer will start complaining about overfill.

The engine doesn't consume oil at all, so I expect after about 2-3 weeks the sump will be full at 8.5 quarts.

The on-board computer is programmed to report over fill oil level, I don't think extra 1/2 quarts in 8.5 quarts sump will hit the crankshaft at any driving condition.

Last edited:
Some of the replies on here are acting like a dipstick is a calibrated instrument. It's anything but that. On my Silverdao it's a long piece of metal with two rivets that flops around like a fish pulled out of the water.

1/2 quart over isn't anything to be too concerned about. I used to put 5 quarts into a 2003 Malibu (3100 V6) that called for 4.6 quarts many times and the engine was still excellent when we sold it at 150,000 miles due to ignition/passlock issues.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Some of the replies on here are acting like a dipstick is a calibrated instrument. It's anything but that. On my Silverdao it's a long piece of metal with two rivets that flops around like a fish pulled out of the water.

My E430 dipstick is very accurate. The sump is 8.5 quarts and the oil level after overnight parking is exactly at full level, not 1mm above nor below.

The dipstick of my S2000 is the same. With exactly 5.1 quarts the level is at full, not above or below.

Your Silverado dipstick is junk, doesn't mean others are junk.

I would expect your two cars to have accurate dipsticks-especially the German one. And yours might represent being typical in your price range and class.

However-I would venture the lesser priced cars don't. Now that I have said that I will get comments that $10,000 Hyundai Accents and $15,000 Nissan Versa Notes have accurate dipsticks........

From my experience on the Silverado boards your assessment is correct on the Silverado dipstick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Unreal. I wonder if the oil was actually hitting the crankshaft or if the computer just didn't like the extra oil because it was programed to report any extra oil. I'd be curious to know how sensitive it is. I'd keep adding 1 oz. at a time until the light went on.
grin.gif

Or he could overfill the crankcase by 4 quarts and drain 1oz out every day until the light went out.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I always validate the dipstick accuracy on a new car during the first oil change. I add exactly the factory specified amount and then see where it is on the dipstick. Most of the 80+ cars and trucks I have had in my life (so far)and been very accurate. One notable exception was my 2012 Shelby GT500. It showed 1/2 quart low every time. In that case I always use the mark at first change as the full mark from that point forward. Of course with the newer BMWs there is no dipstick so you have to go by the electronic gauge. Don't like that much but no choice.

I am also guilty of overfilling my engine. My manual told me to use 5.4 quarts of oil, and even when I used 5 quarts, my oil level was still about the maximum mark on the dipstick.

After a few oil changes, I eventually discovered that 4.5 quarts is the correct number.

It never seemed like it made a difference in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back