Coked Rings & Oil Burning Reduction Experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no fan of using additives for no reason which is exactly what a lot of people do.
We see it all the time, nano this, nano that, ceramic the other, mechanic in a can and all the rest of it advertised to keep the engine line new until the second coming.

When something has been neglected or is having problems due to some design issue like some rings have then sure why not give something a shot before ripping into the engine.
Spending that $20 on a good wash including the under body will probably go a heck of a lot further in keeping the car in good shape longer than a bottle of snake oil thrown in the oil for no reason at all.

Originally Posted By: Trav

When something has been neglected or is having problems due to some design issue like some rings have then sure why not give something a shot before ripping into the engine.
Spending that $20 on a good wash including the under body will probably go a heck of a lot further in keeping the car in good shape longer than a bottle of snake oil thrown in the oil for no reason at all.

Right on!
thumbsup2.gif

If there's no reason, don't do it. If there's a compelling reason, give one of the more reputable, like KREEN, a shot.

Amazing results. Most would say at 1 quart per 400-500 miles that it would not be possible to expect this outcome from this product or any other. I'll try a few more idle flushes with Chemtool first. Looking forward to your updates.

My 02 sc1 does not seem to use oil, but the 01 sc1 is using the typical quart in 450miles. I may try the kreen in my sons saturn and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My 02 sc1 does not seem to use oil, but the 01 sc1 is using the typical quart in 450miles. I may try the kreen in my sons saturn and see what happens.

That would be good. Do a separate thread and list out the oil usage before & after.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Time for an update with BIG, real results.....
smile.gif

Previous oil burning before KREEN: 1/2 Qt per 200-250 miles in the '98 Saturn SC2 DOHC.

I added 14 Oz. of KREEN in the oil, ran the car normally with a bunch of rev-ups, for 500 miles.

Drained the BLACK PYB 5w-30 oil at around 2,500 miles & filled with PYB 5w-30.

Post KREEN oil burning: I drove the car 425 miles. The oil level barely moved -- maybe 2 Oz used in 425 miles!
shocked2.gif

Checked the oil the same way -- car facing the same way in the garage & the engine sitting cold for at least 16 hours.

This is with 2 1/2 hours of a steady, 3,000-3,200 RPM run to Mayo Clinic & back home, so it wasn't babied.

It's early, it's 1 data point, but it is a definitive shift in less oil burning.

So, is did this continue into a trend? Did Kreen work FOR YOU? I have a oil burning Olds 3.5L that I was going to do Seafoam in the crank but if this definitely worked for you maybe I'll pay the extra.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Yes, update, update, UPDATE

Ok, another update!!
smile.gif

I drove it 200 more miles, mostly 3000-3200 RPM runs to a hot fishing spot.

Checked the oil the exact same way. The oil level barely moved again, MAYBE 1-2 Oz., if that.

Oil use reduction summary:

Pre-KREEN in oil: 1/2 quart (16 Oz.) per 200-250 miles.

Post 14 Oz. KREEN for 500 miles in oil: 3-4 Oz. per 625 miles.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Is that why you're selling your Saturn now?
wink.gif

No, where did you get that??
smile.gif
I found someone else selling a Saturn who heisted a photo of my Saturn to use on his ad...

Back to topic.
thumbsup2.gif

Bringing to the forefront:
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Yes, update, update, UPDATE

Ok, another update!!
smile.gif

I drove it 200 more miles, mostly 3000-3200 RPM runs to a hot fishing spot.

Checked the oil the exact same way. The oil level barely moved again, MAYBE 1-2 Oz., if that.

Oil use reduction summary:

Pre-KREEN in oil: 1/2 quart (16 Oz.) per 200-250 miles.

Post 14 Oz. KREEN for 500 miles in oil: 3-4 Oz. per 625 miles.

Right on!
thumbsup2.gif

If there's no reason, don't do it. If there's a compelling reason, give one of the more reputable, like KREEN, a shot.

A lot of people think Kreen can help keep the stuck rings from occuring in the first place. Why wait for a problem to occur? Of course its then a matter of how much, how often, and what product. Turk's results with Kreen are great, so probably one of the best to use to anti-gum the ring packs, or just get a little goop out of there BEFORE stuck rings happen.\
Prevention.

From OP:

"Next Steps after Kreen:

Don't want to do a Piston Soak, so I am trying other methods first."

Who has tried Kreen piston soak, and with what results?

No, where did you get that??
smile.gif
I found someone else selling a Saturn who heisted a photo of my Saturn to use on his ad...

That's what I was giving you a hard time about.
wink.gif

In any case, it looks like things are well in order.

Here's another update.....

I drove two more, 200 mile runs and checked the oil the same way as always.

Both times, the oil level barely moved, just about 2 Oz. So the oil burning so far has been reduced and is staying linear.

Pre Kreen Oil Burning: 16 Oz. per 200-250 miles.

Post 14 Oz of Kreen Oil Burning: 2 Oz per 200 miles.

Here's another update.....

I drove two more, 200 mile runs and checked the oil the same way as always.

Both times, the oil level barely moved, just about 2 Oz. So the oil burning so far has been reduced and is staying linear.

Pre Kreen Oil Burning: 16 Oz. per 200-250 miles.

Post 14 Oz of Kreen Oil Burning: 2 Oz per 200 miles.

No disputing those numbers for showing an improvement. I'd say the Kreen treatment was well worth it for you.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No disputing those numbers for showing an improvement. I'd say the Kreen treatment was well worth it for you.

It is amazing, I'm somewhat shocked to tell you the truth.

I expected this to be a "1st round" of treatments or switching to HDEO in an attempt to reduce it "some". Clearly, if this holds, the Kreen cleaned and/or loosened up the rings and the oil burning is much more tolerable.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back