ford 6.2l news

Status
Not open for further replies.
6.2 L[edit]

The 6.2 L (379 cu in) V8 is the main variant of the Boss engine. The V8 shares design similarities with the Modular engine family such as a deep-skirt block with cross-bolted main caps, crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump, overhead cam valve train arrangement, and bellhousing bolt pattern. In particular, the 6.2 L V8 features a 2-valve per cylinder SOHC valve train with roller-rocker shafts and two spark plugs per cylinder as well as dual-equal variable cam timing. While notable that they use a much wider 4.53 in (115 mm) bore spacing (compared to the Modular's 3.937 in (100.0 mm)), allowing for the use of larger bore diameters and valves. The 6.2 L V8 has a bore diameter of 4.015 in (102.0 mm) with a 3.74 in (95 mm) stroke. The 6.2 L V8 has lightweight aluminum cylinder heads and pistons but makes use of a cast iron cylinder block for extra durability since most applications for the engine will be trucks.[2]

The 6.2 L V8 went into production in early 2010 and debuted in the 2010 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor as a late-availability option. A limited edition version of the Raptor from Ford Racing called the Raptor XT features a high output version of the 6.2 L V8 with approximately 500 horsepower (370 kW).[3] For the 2011 model year, the 6.2 L V8 was introduced in Ford's Super Duty pickups as a replacement for both the 5.4 L Triton V8 and the 6.8 L Triton V10 and in the F-150 as the premium engine option, though it is not available in all configurations

Last edited:
The 5.4 and 6.2 have completely different blocks. Bore on the 5.4 is 3.55" (90.2mm) and stroke is 4.17" (105.8mm). Bore on the 6.2 is 4.015" (102mm) stroke is 3.74" (95mm).

They have completely different cylinder head configurations, the 6.2 is a large valve head with 2.106" intake valves and 1.653" exhaust valves. The 6.2 also has 2 plugs per cylinder.

They are similar in that they are a deep skirt block with cross bolted mains like you see on most of the newer Ford v8s.

On the F150, the 6.2 was only used on the Raptor and Platinum trim levels. The 5.4 was on the Raptor only due to the 6.2 not being ready for production.

The 6.2 is part of the "Hurricane" or Boss (not related to the Boss Mustang or Australian BOSS engines) engine family and is technically only related to the Modular engines in that they are a deep skirt with cross mains, gerotor pump, and OHC.

O and the Raptors with the 5.4 were dogs, they needed the 6.2. They are still using the 6.2 in the F250+ as a replacement for the V10.

Personally unless something is amazing about the new Raptor, I wouldn't buy one. If I am in the desert, I want a big V8.

Something completely unrelated I found out for a customer with a 3.5L EcoBoost in a Trophy truck, the flywheel pattern is the same on a 5.0 Coyote which is the same as the 8 bolt modular cranks. He was very thankful for me figuring that out.

As far as the reliability of the 6.2, (touch wood) I have never sold a replacement longblock for one. All I have ever sold on them are oil/air filters, and spark plugs. The Spark plug part is fun since they are a twin plug configuration.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i am sorry but i find it hard to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. the questions I asked him he didn't know so he put me on hold got the info. and read to me all the info.as above. what is your source of info.? I called ford performance group svt

I've built a few engines and been involved in the SBF and SBC scene for a number of years.

It is quite easy to look up the dimensions for the engines being discussed.

The 6.2L Ford is physically huge. That's why it was never used in the Mustang, whilst the 4.6L, 5.0L and 5.4L have all been used.

The history of the engines is actually somewhat amusing. The original Modular was Hurricane (which later became BOSS after Katrina), which was a large OHC engine with a 4" bore like its Windsor predecessors. However, due to size restraints on the engine compartments Ford wanted to put it in (think the Lincoln Continental, which was FWD) the large engine wasn't going to fit. So, they came up with a physically smaller version of the engine by reducing bore spacing and diameter. This is what resulted in the 4.6L and later the taller decked 5.4L Ford. The 6.8L V10 also shares the same bore size and spacing as the other two. The bean counters didn't find it logical to manufacture two completely different engine families, both V8's, at the same time, particularly with the niche the larger family would fill, so the original Hurricane engine was just shelved.

Years later, Ford was looking at bringing back a larger displacement engine and so they resurrected the project. The result of this was that the 6.2L happened.

The 6.2L is in many ways similar to the old 427SOHC; it is basically a resurrection of that legendary engine. Deep breathing 2-valve heads with overhead camshafts and large bores. It had the potential to be a very potent engine. The problem is that it is very large and subsequently not practical to put in something small like the Mustang.

The 6.2 L (379 cu in) V8 is the main variant of the Boss engine. The V8 shares design similarities with the Modular engine family such as a deep-skirt block with cross-bolted main caps, crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump, overhead cam valve train arrangement, and bellhousing bolt pattern

That alone sums it up. They are two different engine families
smile.gif

There were many things shared between the Cleveland and the Windsor for example, including most of the above such as bell-housing bolt pattern, camshaft placement and bottom-end configuration. However, they also were two different engine families, though more closely related than the Modular and the BOSS family since you could physically bolt Cleveland heads on a Windsor and vice-versa, since they shared the same head bolt pattern and bore spacing.

Well at the very least they seem to run better than the diesels in the work trucks and small mason dumps. I was stuck behind yet another pretty new diesel Ford truck today in traffic that was running like a 25 year old 8.2 Detroit with enough mileage to circle Mars.

One of the big landscapers I know is giving up on the diesels and ordering his new F350's with the 6.2's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

On the F150, the 6.2 was only used on the Raptor and Platinum trim levels. The 5.4 was on the Raptor only due to the 6.2 not being ready for production.

Just an FYI, the F150 6.2 availability must have been more then just Raptor and Platinum trim levels (at least for 2013). I have a friend that has a 2013 SuperCrew XLT 6.2 with max tow.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing

Just an FYI, the F150 6.2 availability must have been more then just Raptor and Platinum trim levels (at least for 2013). I have a friend that has a 2013 SuperCrew XLT 6.2 with max tow.

Makes sense. I remember when they first came out, one of the techs and I were looking at how hard the lower plus were to change, he said "yup, never changing those, just like on Monzas." I would much rather have a big V8 over a TTV6 anyday. The gas mileage is not that much worse than my Mustang, averaging 14.5 right now.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Weren't the 6.2L F150s the only ones that were "rated" to plow since they had hydraulic power steering still?

Yes they were. The parts guys back east always posted funny stories of sales people selling EcoBoost and 5.0 F150s to customers and telling them they can add the snow plow pack on after.

Kinda like the customer we have that bought a EcoBoost F150 and has 2,000+ pounds always in his bed and tows a 10,000 pound trailer that does not understand why his truck goes into limp mode when he tries to do 100+mph up the Grapevine.

I'm sorry but the ecoboost does not appeal to me one bit. Sure it makes good power but I have yet to talk to anyone that is getting the suggested gas mileage. I hate to think how much repairs will be on these as they start getting up in mileage.

Part of my enjoyment of my V8 vehicles is the exhaust sound and that is just not something you are going to get with a V6.

I'm wondering if GM and Dodge will follow suit with their 1/2 ton trucks? If so, I will just have to stick with my older GM v8's.

Wayne

Weren't the 6.2L F150s the only ones that were "rated" to plow since they had hydraulic power steering still?

Yes they were. The parts guys back east always posted funny stories of sales people selling EcoBoost and 5.0 F150s to customers and telling them they can add the snow plow pack on after.

Kinda like the customer we have that bought a EcoBoost F150 and has 2,000+ pounds always in his bed and tows a 10,000 pound trailer that does not understand why his truck goes into limp mode when he tries to do 100+mph up the Grapevine.

Wow! Does he not realize that he has doubled the weight of the truck???

Originally Posted By: wtd
I'm sorry but the ecoboost does not appeal to me one bit. Sure it makes good power but I have yet to talk to anyone that is getting the suggested gas mileage. I hate to think how much repairs will be on these as they start getting up in mileage.

Well now you have. I average about 16.7-18 in mine, which is right in the suggested EPA mileage of 15/21, 17 combined.

And the engine has been around since fall 2009 so it's coming on 6 years old. They have plenty of miles on them and are reliable.

Don't fear technology.
smile.gif

Supposedly the 15's are all rated to plow - IIRC they beefed up the electrical system to accommodate the plow's requirements. The "theory" was that the alternator/battery/wiring couldn't deal with the load of the EPAS and the plow's hydraulic motors.

Wow! Does he not realize that he has doubled the weight of the truck???

Nope, his salesman told him he could do it. Also he points to the truck commercials and that EcoBoost torture test video saying that gives him the right to do it. Total lost cause.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
i am sorry but i find it hard to believe he didn't know what he was talking about. the questions I asked him he didn't know so he put me on hold got the info. and read to me all the info.as above. what is your source of info.? I called ford performance group svt

I've built a few engines and been involved in the SBF and SBC scene for a number of years.

The 6.2L Ford is physically huge. That's why it was never used in the Mustang, whilst the 4.6L, 5.0L and 5.4L have all been used.

The history of the engines is actually somewhat amusing. The original Modular was Hurricane (which later became BOSS after Katrina), which was a large OHC engine with a 4" bore like its Windsor predecessors. However, due to size restraints on the engine compartments Ford wanted to put it in (think the Lincoln Continental, which was FWD) the large engine wasn't going to fit. So, they came up with a physically smaller version of the engine by reducing bore spacing and diameter. This is what resulted in the 4.6L and later the taller decked 5.4L Ford. The 6.8L V10 also shares the same bore size and spacing as the other two. The bean counters didn't find it logical to manufacture two completely different engine families, both V8's, at the same time, particularly with the niche the larger family would fill, so the original Hurricane engine was just shelved.

Years later, Ford was looking at bringing back a larger displacement engine and so they resurrected the project. The result of this was that the 6.2L happened.

The 6.2L is in many ways similar to the old 427SOHC; it is basically a resurrection of that legendary engine. Deep breathing 2-valve heads with overhead camshafts and large bores. It had the potential to be a very potent engine. The problem is that it is very large and subsequently not practical to put in something small like the Mustang.

Hood cutout?

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Hood cutout?

LOL! That reminds me of the guy that shoe-horned a 6.8L V10 into his SN95
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: wtd
Part of my enjoyment of my V8 vehicles is the exhaust sound and that is just not something you are going to get with a V6.

I'm wondering if GM and Dodge will follow suit with their 1/2 ton trucks? If so, I will just have to stick with my older GM v8's.

Wayne

Exactly my problem. V6 drone is not appealing to me, no matter how you try and sell it to me.

To each his own, but not me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back