Remember that O noes my Forester died thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Later model Subies (like 2007-2010) have very low risk of HG leak. It was earlier models that had the issue. At some point, maybe 2009 they got updated gaskets. I have zero worries that my 2010 will have a HG problem.

Gaskets can only do so much. The open deck block didn't change til the FB came out in 2011.
Make sure you use the conditioner. Although you may have the "permanent" (blue) antifreeze. Don't know it it has the "conditioner" in it or not.

Originally Posted By: Al
Later model Subies (like 2007-2010) have very low risk of HG leak. It was earlier models that had the issue. At some point, maybe 2009 they got updated gaskets. I have zero worries that my 2010 will have a HG problem.

Gaskets can only do so much. The open deck block didn't change til the FB came out in 2011.
Make sure you use the conditioner. Although you may have the "permanent" (blue) antifreeze. Don't know it it has the "conditioner" in it or not.

Conditioner is rebadged stop leak
smile.gif
Never quite understood why the related EJ255( WRX and turbo: Legacy, Forester, Outback) and EJ257(STI) never encountered this issue. Are these motors "closed deck"?

I always thought it had nothing to do with the coolant just bad gasket material choice like the intake manifold issues with GM V6's. Turbo's used a different head gasket material so it was a non issue. Then again as I have found out newer turbo'd engines have there own hidden surprises.

EJ255 just has extra support on the cylinder bore I believe still an open deck design compared to the EJ253.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
I always thought it had nothing to do with the coolant just bad gasket material choice like the intake manifold issues with GM V6's. Turbo's used a different head gasket material so it was a non issue. Then again as I have found out newer turbo'd engines have there own hidden surprises.

EJ255 just has extra support on the cylinder bore I believe still an open deck design compared to the EJ253.

The problem is the EJ's flimsy open deck. The latest gaskets are a great baindaid for a defective design. The turbo has a semi-closed deck....hence few HG failures.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: Vikas
How come run of the mill Subaru are plagued with this problem instead of the boy racer Subarus? I would have thought those monstrous rear wing Subaru would be the one with blowing HG or turbos but failures reported on BITOG seem to occur more with the grocery getters.

Above average HG failure with Subaru is only non-turbo and the prior generation 2.5L used 1996-2010ish? My parents putter around in a 2000 Forester with non turbo and 190k and have no significant issues with the car. My grandma's(now passed) 1998 the same. I think it is a subset of Subaru that have the head gasket failure not the majority. My indy does a Subaru head gasket for $1100 which the price of timing belt on some cars.

More like double the price on a LOT of cars!!

Originally Posted By: Al

The conditioner is still recomended in the owners manual for my 2010. I do a coolant drain and fill every 2 years and add a little bit of conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back