Honda Ultra NEXT super-high VI motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CATERHAM is probably climaxing as he reads this! (j/k, Pete!
wink.gif
) LOL

Well, it sounds as if the consensus here is that I probably shouldn't run it in my L15B here in the US. It's on it's way to my house though, so I can still get a VOA and post the results up here as soon as I get them back
wink.gif

Maybe not straight up, but depending on what the viscosity results are, you could probably do a blend to thicken it up slightly.

From Lubes and Greases Magazine...note the theme...

Quote:
Honda has for years successfully lubricated a number of ultra-fuel-efficient passenger car models in Japan with a Honda-approved engine oil that sports SAE 8’s characteristics. That history led the original equipment manufacturer to push for the new grades to be added to SAE J300, opening the door for wider use around the globe.

Covitch doesn’t believe that Honda’s genuine oil was labeled with an SAE viscosity grade in Japan, however, because the grade was not yet defined by SAE J300. “With the re-issue of J300 JAN2015, it is now free to do so,” he said. “You might expect to see such products in the Japanese marketplace in the near future and with the creation of official SAE viscosity grades, you could begin to see SAE 8 and perhaps SAE 12 oils appearing outside of Japan, should Honda or any other OEM begin exporting or building vehicles that specify them in other countries.

“There is certainly a desire to have such oils available in North America as soon as feasible, since they could then be eligible for use in fuel economy certification procedures,” he added.

Bob Proctor, manager and principal engineer with Honda Research & Development in Raymond, Ohio, United States, affirmed that his company was able to supply Covitch’s SAE task force with technical data to support the new grades’ definitions. “I shared mostly the applications of the lower viscosity grades for vehicles in the Japan market, which was consisting of the grades at the time that ultimately fit the viscosity ranges used to establish the SAE 8 grade.”

Proctor added that Honda has plans for further application and growth for SAE 8 in Japan, “as well as initial applications starting in China and even Europe. At this time we have no immediate plans for application of an SAE 8 or SAE 12 grade in the North American market, although we are considering the future carefully for these grades.”

The development of ever-lower-viscosity engine oils has been a longtime goal of original equipment manufacturers. In 2011, Honda presented data at the ICIS Asian Base Oils & Lubricants Conference which showed that future engine oils designed for automobile fuel economy improvement would require new viscosity classifications below the then-current SAE system. Honda concluded that cooperation between the automotive, engine oil and additive industries would be a key factor in developing these oils, given the imminent need for these new SAE classifications.

Reiterating this need, the Rationale Statement for J300 JAN2015 states, “This revision continues the process of extending the SAE Engine Oil Viscosity Classification system to lower high-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS) viscosities by adding two new high-temperature viscosity grades – SAE 12 and SAE 8 – to SAE J300 with minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.0 and 1.7 milliPascal-seconds, respectively. The benefit of establishing new viscosity grades is to provide a framework for formulating lower HTHS engine oils in support of the ongoing quest of Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to improve fuel economy.”

259hcnc.jpg

Gotta love EMS from Japan - a few days later and it's already here! Domestic shipments routinely take longer here.

I'm still deciding what I'll do exactly. The VOA is easy enough, but it seems like sort of a waste of another 3.8 liters of oil to only do that. Then again, if it really is risky to use in my car, I don't want to do that.

I'll get back to you guys with the VOA results when I have them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fourside
259hcnc.jpg

Gotta love EMS from Japan - a few days later and it's already here! Domestic shipments routinely take longer here.

I'm still deciding what I'll do exactly. The VOA is easy enough, but it seems like sort of a waste of another 3.8 liters of oil to only do that. Then again, if it really is risky to use in my car, I don't want to do that.

Get the VOA but don't forget to call any blend with it the Fourside blend before someone decides to call it their own rev2.
This one is made with the long thought extinct winged black Unicorn tears from what are believed the last descendants of Odin's own stables near Asgard. LOL

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: fourside
259hcnc.jpg

Get the VOA but don't forget to call any blend with it the Fourside blend before someone decides to call it their own rev2.
This one is made with the long thought extinct winged black Unicorn tears from what are believed the last descendants of Odin's own stables near Asgard. LOL

grin.gif
will do!

Just sent it off to Blackstone and asked for the KV40 as well. Should be to them in a few days!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Maybe not straight up, but depending on what the viscosity results are, you could probably do a blend to thicken it up slightly.

I would use it straight up, but may be not for the full OCI that Honda recommends if the oil can be more contaminated in the US than in Japan.
Same idea on diesel oil with Europe vs US: still good oil, but may be not with the same interval.

You know, I'm taking a trip in May driving from California to Iowa and back again, and I sort of wondered about changing the oil right before the trip and using the Ultra Next. It's supposed to be great for fuel economy, and I figure 4K miles of 90% highway would be a relatively safe test to perform. I'd probably just change it right out when I got back.

Or I could always mix something into it. I have some spare Sustina 0W20. I don't know, I'll figure it out. I don't think I have to worry too much if I just cut the interval short to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back