My Liqui Moly MOS2 Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my S2000 and E430 about 2-3 months ago. Both cars had a mix of Castrol Edge 60% 0W40 and 40% 5W20 to get a thick xW30. Also, both cars had 1/3 can Liqui Moly MOS2.

Everything was okay, both engines were very smooth for several weeks. Suddenly the E430 engine made some noise at idle but no noise at higher RPM. While driving the engine was very quiet but as soon as the foot was off the gas pedal the terrible noise came back.

Last week I added 1/2 can Liqui Moly MOS2, after driving around 10-15 miles the noise was gone and as of today it didn't came back. I have no idea what make the engine sound so terrible, but as of today I am happy that I had spare can of MOS2 and it cures the noise.

So...you added something that quieted the engine but then it made a horrible noise. So you added more of the same stuff???

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I changed the oil in my S2000 and E430 about 2-3 months ago. Both cars had a mix of Castrol Edge 60% 0W40 and 40% 5W20 to get a thick xW30. Also, both cars had 1/3 can Liqui Moly MOS2.

Everything was okay, both engines were very smooth for several weeks. Suddenly the E430 engine made some noise at idle but no noise at higher RPM. While driving the engine was very quiet but as soon as the foot was off the gas pedal the terrible noise came back.

Last week I added 1/2 can Liqui Moly MOS2, after driving around 10-15 miles the noise was gone and as of today it didn't came back. I have no idea what make the engine sound so terrible, but as of today I am happy that I had spare can of MOS2 and it cures the noise.

If it's a cam chain, I'd vote that the tensioner finnaly cliked out and made that chain quiet again, MoS2 would make the tensioner bar to slip part the last stubborn tooth full out.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
So...you added something that quieted the engine but then it made a horrible noise. So you added more of the same stuff???

LOL LOL LOL

That's what I was thinking.

I dropped my Mos2 dosage to 90ml from 150ml and notice the same smoothness now i get 3 turns from a can versus 2. Its one product that has really made a mpg difference as I achieved 41mpg avg. Even on its worst day its better than Lucas or STP.

I was wrong, the noise didn't come from engine.

Today I had the engine running with hood opened I didn't hear any noise from engine bay other than the fan running. Stepping back few feet I hear the noise coming from under the car, I kneel down and crawl around and found that the noise is coming from around the catalytic converter or the exhaust pipe.

I will drive to my mechanic tomorrow to have the car on a lift to see where the noise is coming from, hopefully not the catalytic converter.

Put a clamp on the heat-shield or have tack weld it back. Don't fall for having to replace the whole thing because shield has rusted or came loose.

You guys may be right and I do hope that you're right. If that is the case it would save me a ton of money for not replacing the Cat. What weird is sometimes I hear the noise, some other times it was very quiet. By the way, the engine is extremely quiet now with MOS2.

I did look at the exhaust system last night, there wasn't any rust at all. We have no snow and only 5-10 rainy days(or less) a year.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I did look at the exhaust system last night, there wasn't any rust at all. We have no snow and only 5-10 rainy days(or less) a year.

No rust is a great sign, but the heat shield can still come loose with no signs of rust.

Get underneath while the car is off and use wooden mallet or a stick and start banging the exhaust. Once you hear the exact noise, you will know it.

I am really thinking about adding MOS2 to my 5.7L Hemi along with the M1...

Every Hemi forum I have visited over the last year has hundreds of threads started about the Hemi-Tick and MDS Lifter issues...

I handful of owners had switched to Redline and after a few hundred miles the Tick had vanished and not returned... with never a mechanical issue... Many owners stuck with the specified oil and the tick either become worse or the MDS lifters just failed and totally fubared the cam as well...

I am sticking with M1 and maybe trying the Liqui-Moly MOS2 to help put a protective coat of Moly over these MDS Lifters... Hopefully some preventive maintenance..

The positive reviews I have read about MOS2 far out weight the negative reviews... That I have read...

What are your thoughts... Is MOS2 a wise choice for a new Hemi?

You may want to try 1/3 can at first with new oil, after few hundreds miles if the tick had been reduced but not eliminated then add 1/3 can. On the next oil change and every oil change fater that just use 1/3 can.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
What are your thoughts... Is MOS2 a wise choice for a new Hemi?

I like MoS², but wouldn't use it in a new engine. That's because:

- If there's no problem, you shouldn't try to fix it.
- MoS² will leave a notable coating to friction surfaces, and that will probably kill your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back