My Honda 750 project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made some progress yesterday. I plastigauged the main and rod bearings. They all checked within spec for new bearings 0.0008 to 0.0018, with a service limit of 0.0032. These all checked at around 0.0015. I started loading transmission shafts, shift drums, forks back into the cases. I should get the parts this week to allow me to close up the cases next weekend with the exception of the primary chain tensioner. I should hear from the machine shop this week on the cylinder and head. Those will probably be 2-3 weeks out. The same shop has the primary chain tensioner for overhaul (new roller and spring) so hopefully they can turn that faster since it goes in before the cases are closed. Honda discontinued that part. I have an oil pump overhaul kit coming from a SOHC-4 forum member which is at least 2 weeks out. Honda discontinued most of the oil pump parts. Fortunately the oil pump goes in from the oil pan, so the cases can be closed. So far the main issue with this engine has not been wear, its been 37 year old seals, O-rings, and gaskets. I'll update as I get more progress.

IMG_0621_zps0924672f.jpg

IMG_0622_zps6d9f5a5a.jpg

Originally Posted By: FastGame

Here's my brothers pet.

Pristine example... Ask your brother if he is interested in a new set of 39mm CBX forks that
I got while stationed in Japan... I'm asking $400 + a nominal shipping charge... photos upon request...

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Here's my brothers pet.

Pristine example... Ask your brother if he is interested in a new set of 39mm CBX forks that
I got while stationed in Japan... I'm asking $400 + a nominal shipping charge... photos upon request...

I'll ask him. He has another red CBX rider (naked version) in great shape.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Here's my brothers pet.

I'll ask him. He has another red CBX rider (naked version) in great shape.

Those were the nice versions of the CBX...never cared for the one with the fairing and bags...

Bottom End going back together. Rods and mains plastigauged great.
New primary chains, cam chain, new primary chain roller, new seals and O-rings.

IMG_0634_zpsb805nv3y.jpg

IMG_0635_zpsv0ejar7l.jpg

Got the bottom end together today
Waiting on oil pump parts, the crankcase goes off to paint next.
The cylinder and head are back from the machine shop. Cylinder needed to be bored 1mm over to get rid of rust pits, so it got new pistons. The head got all new valves and guides. Both were surfaced to use an MLS head gasket. Cam tower bolt holes got helicoiled.

This week I drop off the crankcase for paint, and pick up the cylinder and head from paint. We used eastwood catalyzed ceramic engine paint.

IMG_0638_zpsvqdz0aol.jpg

IMG_0645_zpskmq0e4oo.jpg

IMG_0642_zpscqlfsw2o.jpg

When Mr Honda was alive he vowed to have parts for every model never discontinued. That wrnt away quickly when he died.

Originally Posted By: eddy21
When Mr Honda was alive he vowed to have parts for every model never discontinued. That wrnt away quickly when he died.

Yes indeed. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer to do this bike.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Are the cylinders and cams still stock, or did they get a bump also?. Looks nice.,,

Thanks Big. Pretty much all stock, it got a 1mm overbore to take care of some rust pitting. The only things that are non-stock or non-OEM are the Barnett clutch, and APE heavy duty cylinder studs. Both of which take care of some known issues.
I do have a Dyna ignition system for it too.

Now it's down to wet sanding and polishing the covers.

Last edited:
jetstar, keep us posted on the progress. WOW! It couldn't have looked better when it was new.

Oh man that's pretty. If I ever win the lottery I'll spend 8 hours a day doing exactly this. Nice job!

Back on this project, too much riding and other things to do around the house.

Carbs torn down. Engine is back in frame (I'll post pics later)Now working on suspension and wheels. Hope to get this down on it's own wheels before spring.

IMG_0867_zpsoy0fkwuq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back