For those who have never used RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used and don't hate it. I just don't see a reason to buy it.

Last edited:
I don't hate it but will never buy it because:

1) I hate the color purple.
2) Purple oil is stupid, unnecessary, gimmicky, and the cost of it is passed on to the consumer.
3) Will do nothing that M1 or P4 can't do.
4) Last but not least, I have UOA trends on M1 and SOPUS on several vehicles. I know they work and for how long. I'm not going to start over.

Why would I use it? Regular old dino oil is cheaper and I think works just as well for my 5000 miles OCI.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I don't hate it but will never buy it because:

1) I hate the color purple.
2) Purple oil is stupid, unnecessary, gimmicky, and the cost of it is passed on to the consumer.
3) Will do nothing that M1 or P4 can't do.
4) Last but not least, I have UOA trends on M1 and SOPUS on several vehicles. I know they work and for how long. I'm not going to start over.

What he said!

Seriously I think there are just as good if not "better" oils for less. Pennzoil, Mobil and Valvoline have served me well for several decades. Why change now?

Price, Price and Price.

If I can get RP at $3/qt or less I will buy as much as I can.

Same for RP oil filter, gear fluid, ATF ... If they are cheaper than M1 I would try it.

^What they said. No hate, but no love. If I were to go with a "boutique" oil (although I'm not sure RP falls into that category anymore due to their size/market share) it would be Amsoil.Amsoil's marketing and claims to fame seem more performance based (other than "First in sythetics") whereas RP's are more gimmicky.

Can't find it for $0.87/quart
wink.gif

Don't really hate it. Just don't love it enough to pay the price of entry.

Not a good value for my dollar.

Originally Posted By: deven
Why do you hate it?

I've got it in my Diff at present, so the question isn't really aimed at me...and I don't hate them (*)

Some of their claims are bordering on ridiculous for some of their products.

(*) or by "hate" do you mean "don't worship" ???

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Two reasons:
- Price
- It thinks it's better than everybody else (snobbish royalty)

Yep.

Why pay twice as much as Mobil 1 0W40 that performs so very well in my V-12?

It is because Pennzoil has spoiled us to the point that Royal Purple would go bankrupt treating us half as well.

And the purple dye in the oil is just plain dumb.

No hate, just not an economical proposition when I compare its cost to M1 or PP sitting on the shelf at WM (and yes, I know not everyone buys their oil there, but for those who do, the price of RP is a turn-off). With that said, I saw a "special" on Amazon the other day that nearly tempted me into trying the API version.

Royal Purple SHEERS.

I put RP in a manual transmission, I did have better shifts during the coldest days of winter, but it sheered down to liquidity water in 30k. Just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back