Worst Cabin Filter Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month, I did a 75k service on a Volvo S40 T5 for someone for the cost of parts. I thought it would be a quick and easy adventure...

As I learned the hard way, nothing on a Volvo is truly easy.

The cabin filter on this car was truly a nightmare.

First, you had to remove a couple panels under the steering column.

Then, you had to remove the 3 lock-nuts that held down the accelerator pedal. In addition to the nuts being in unreachable places, the nuts do not unscrew by hand - so you have to sit there with a ratchet and slowly unscrew them.

Next, you get to remove the three 7mm bolts that hold the cover on.

Finally, you get to reassemble this whole mess and pray that you did not break anything in the process. I'm sure a dealer tech who does a lot of these can get it done in 15-20 minutes, but it certainly took me a lot longer than 0.8 hours that the book time pays!

/end rant

Untitled by thecritic89, on Flickr

Happy Wrenching,
The Critic

That has got to be the most idiotic design for a filter placement I've ever seen!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That has got to be the most idiotic design for a filter placement I've ever seen!
crazy2.gif

Supposedly, the design was originally intended for RHD cars, but it was never changed for the US market.

First, I feel your pain, some designs are really bad, but this one takes the cake.

Second, this should be in the Humor section. That video is something else. They should say "Grasp the old filter firmly... and rip that sucker right out of there! Try not to tear the filter in half in the process. Take the new filter, scrunch it up and stuff it in, done."

This one gave me the chuckles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
This guy makes it looks easy, but his method is really a hack way of doing it. It is not good practice to fold/bend a cabin filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctPfma_TZ70

That may be true but you HAVE to bend the filter to get it installed in a Ford Fiesta. While not that difficult to get to, removing and inserting the cabin filter on that car is TERRIBLE.

As I said in other thread, designer of any part in any vehicle should be the one who need to replace it in an assembled vehicle. Only then he/she will learn how to design the next one better for easier maintenance.

Better yet, all engineers/designers of any vehicle must drive that vehicle and do all maintenance themselves for 3 -4 years. Only then you will know what wrong with their designs.

That does look like a real pain!

changed the CAF in wife's 2014 Mazda6 yesterday- it was a breeze, didn't even have to drop the glove box fully; took about 2 minutes.
Not a PITA like in the Elantra and about as easy as in the BMW.

Used a Wix for the Mazda.

I think this Civic cabin filter is the easiest to change, it is very hard to make changing cabin filter easier. The way the glove box is disengaged to access the filter holder is very good design.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
That may be true but you HAVE to bend the filter to get it installed in a Ford Fiesta. While not that difficult to get to, removing and inserting the cabin filter on that car is TERRIBLE.

Two things in common here. Ford and Ford(Volvo).

Somehow I'm not surprised.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Two things in common here. Ford and Ford(Volvo).

Somehow I'm not surprised.

This isn't a Ford Volvo though
wink.gif

That said, if you ever tried to do a heater core on some Ford cars.....

The CAF in my BRZ is a breeze to change without any tools. Release the glove box hatch by pressing its sides, remove the CAF cover by pushing two release tabs, pull filter out, insert new filter, snap cover back on, close glove box door, which locks in place. Done.

wink.gif

Sadly, I have. It seems each assembly line begins with a heater core, and the Ford is built around it.

And to me "T5" means a second-gen Volvo S40, starting in 2004, which would make it Ford/Mazda platform, would it not?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
wink.gif

Sadly, I have. It seems each assembly line begins with a heater core, and the Ford is built around it.

And to me "T5" means a second-gen Volvo S40, starting in 2004, which would make it Ford/Mazda platform, would it not?

Platform, yes. But apparently:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
The chassis for this car and the majority of its components were developed by Volvo, however similar mechanical components can be found in the Mazda3 and the European Ford Focus.

Which explains why they don't look very "Ford" unlike other derivative cars. That's why I say it isn't a "Ford Volvo" as it even had a Volvo engine still.

I guess it could be argued either way though
21.gif

The interior design doesn't look at all Ford-esque however and was produced in Belgium, so while Ford is guilty of some real stupidity on component placement, I wouldn't put this one on them
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back