Honda 22 Year Old Lead Engineer !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda made a 22 year old a lead engineer of a youngg team to develop an open top S660 roadster, a Japan’s “kei” minicars. The "kei" account for 40% of Japanese market, which is larger than any other class.

Honda executives are either genius or plain stupid for giving a young designer with no engineering experience five years to develop a sports car that competes in a largest segment of domestic market.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/meet-26-old-design-prodigy-020000018.html

honda_s660_roadster_05_960_640.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Cut and paste design. Oh and it has no dipstick for the transmission. Cannot forget that essential money saving portion.

Have you made a positive post on bitog yet? All this negativity is sad.

I think the car looks better than most.

Last edited:
The exterior styling looks decent for a Kei class, especially when it was designed by a 22 year old kid without a college degree of any kind. I think this S660 is to resurrect the Honda Beat, the same Kei class, of the early '90 and the '60 S600 and S800. There are reports about a slightly wider car with 1L 127 HP turbo charged engine for export, possible to USA in 2016-2017.

The Del Sol was a decent sub-compact open-top car, but it didn't have the power to keep up with traffic so it didn't sold well.

There are rumors that Honda will put a 1.0L turbo engine in the
S660 and call it the S1000 and.....bring it to the USA.

I hope they do, this little wonder is what Honda used to be years ago in the US market. I think they would have a surprise hit on their hands if they do bring it here.

Might be just the ticket. By the time it would be ready for the U.S. market gas will be back to $3.50-4.00/gallon. Performance and fuel economy should make it a hit. I'll bet that it won't be $16K by then, either.

It's a shame that Honda won't bring back a more reasonable priced vehicle that is entertaining either. If they use the 1L turbo and charge 18,500 in the USA they would sell tons of them.

I agree.

A small,sporty,gas miser that's cheap to buy and maintain would have the big 3 hitting the drawing board in a serious hurry trying to compete.

I think it's refreshing. Young eyes,new ideas,fresh thinking.

Came here to make a joke about flatulence cannons and huge wings... but that's a good looking car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I wish I could buy and register Kei cars
frown.gif

Would make a cool off road toy / runabout.

The Smart Fortwo and Scion IQ are the size of Kei series cars. They actually have an advantage over Japanese Kei series cars, because they aren't limited to engines around ~650cc.

Kei car regulations: Length 133.8", Width 58.3", Displacement 660 cc, Power 63 HP.

Smart ForTwo: Length 106.1", Width 61.4", Displacement 1.0 L, Power 100 HP.

Scion IQ: Length 120.1", Width 66.1", Displacement 1.3 L, Power 94 HP.

Smart ForTwo and Scion IQ are too wide to meet Kei car regulations.

Honda S660 dimensions are within 0.2" of regulations, displacement of 660 cc and 63 HP are on the nose.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Came here to make a joke about flatulence cannons and huge wings... but that's a good looking car.

Speaking of which there is a Kei version of the Suzuki Jimny that someone imports once in a while called the "Wild Wind." Our Jimnys normally have a 1.3 4-cyl and all models still have solid axles and a separate transfer case.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/suzuki/auction-866292363.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back