What's your frankenbrew???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a parts store recently and decided to splurge and buy some M1 10-40 4T. I typically use Rotella. Anyway I was talking to the store manager and he offered me 4 damaged quarts of oil for free. Whoever cut open the boxes had sliced into the quarts with the boxcutter. They were all just weeping a little. It was 2 quarts of Valvoline 10-40 4t moto oil and 2 quarts of Valvoline All-Fleet 15-40. So like any good bitoger I jumped at the prospect of free oil. This weekend I put in the 4 qts of free oil, along with 2 ozs., of Redline break in ZDDP additive. And I've still got the 4 qts of M1 10-40 4T at home for the next oil change. I must say that my bike feels much smoother and shifts very positively, no complaints.

So what's your Frankenbrew?

Last edited:
i have never mixed brands or weights on a oil change (nothing wrong with it) but i do top off with whatever cheapest

Since this is in the motorcycle section....here is what I run in my bikes:

Typically, I start with a mix of M1 0w50 Racing Oil and M1 0w20 AFE. I might start to use M1 0w20 EP now, instead of the AFE, but as of now, I use AFE mixed with the M1R oil.

Then I add 5% Lubegard Biotech and 2.5% Torco MPZ.

If the bike likes a heavier oil, I switch the M1 0w20 AFE out for M1 0w30 AFE or M1 0w40....and still mix it 50/50 with M1 Racing 0w50.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Since this is in the motorcycle section....here is what I run in my bikes:

Typically, I start with a mix of M1 0w50 Racing Oil and M1 0w20 AFE. I might start to use M1 0w20 EP now, instead of the AFE, but as of now, I use AFE mixed with the M1R oil.

Then I add 5% Lubegard Biotech and 2.5% Torco MPZ.

If the bike likes a heavier oil, I switch the M1 0w20 AFE out for M1 0w30 AFE or M1 0w40....and still mix it 50/50 with M1 Racing 0w50.

[censored], now that's a serious oil cocktail.

50/50 mix of redline 5w30 and redline 10w40 with roughly half a can of mos2 in there for good measure

50/50 mix of redline mtf and redline mt90 in the gearbox

Mainly shell in the gastank with a maintenance dose of redline si1 to help me sleep better.

I don't know any better than anyone else, but I like to live dangerously! That, and redline themselves advocate mixing their products

Forgive this newB but I remember a Q&A on an oil manufacturer's website (I think Valvoline or Penzoil) where they said not to mix weights. Apparently it won't hurt anything, but you don't get the weight that you think you're getting. Example is a 0W20 mixed with a 10W40, you think you'd get 5W30 mixing at 50/50 but you don't. The answer influenced me enough that I never did it, but I'm here to learn!

it's a mix of leftover oils that were around from several seasons of scooters & motorcycles...I forget the ratio; Havoline conventional 10w-40 pcmo, BelRay conventional 10w-40 mc oil, SuperTech conventional 15w-40 hdeo, and maybe a bit of Quaker State conventional 10w-40 pcmo

I have a bit over 4 quarts left and it is being used in both bikes this season to use it up...

'09 Suzuki GZ250 -- OCI will be every 1500-2000 miles with new filter every other oil change (1.3L-1.4L sump capacity)

'06 Honda Shadow 750 Aero -- OCI will be every 2000-2500 miles with new filter every other oil change (2.6L-2.7L sump capacity)

also use it as a firearms cleaning/lubrication oil...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back