Odyssey Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my sons just bought a 2008 Odyssey with 95k miles. Very clean throughout except the trans fluid was pretty brown. Seems to shift fine right now. The brown fluid made me think twice about buying this van but they were in a hurry and I know that these 2008 models had the newer transmission which was supposed to be a bit better. We are doing the 3X dump and refill process to get new DW-1 fluid in there and I'm going to send in a sample for a UOA to see if we can learn something about how the trans is doing. For all I know, it may be the original fill!

But wanting to think ahead if the trans does go out, what would be the best way to deal with that? Rebuild the one that's in there or swap for a re-manufactured one? Does the torque converter get replace with the trans or is it separate? If separate, it should probably be replaced at the same time, right? Are there any good places around Seattle to get the work done? Obviously we hope the current trans lasts but if it fails, we will need to make these decisions quickly so I thought I'd get some advice!

For that matter, any advice on the timing belt replacement would be appreciated as well. We know that is due very soon and while I'm considering doing it myself, it would be a big job and if I can find a reasonable place to get it professionally done that would be my first choice. Timing belt/water pump replacement was quoted as $995 at the dealer.

By the way, this is the LX model which come to find out doesn't have the VCM system which is a good thing in my mind
wink.gif
Probably why the motor looked so clean down the fill hole...

Scout1, I replaced the timing belt myself on our 2005 MDX a year or two ago. Frankly, the job was a piece of cake. I highly recommend buying Eric The Car Guy's Honda J-series timing belt replacement video. It's about 30-45 minutes long and walks you through the entire process. I did spark plugs at about the same time, and new shift solenoids, and I think I spent about 400 total in parts (all from an online Honda/Acura dealer).

Don't worry about transmission just change the fluid. The failure rate is low with the mid 2000's to present.

Be thankful you have the LX as the electric doors are terrible at upper mileage. My sis in law just experienced a failure where door(2008 Ody EX-L) came off track and motor damaged. It cost $500 to get it to work manually with nasty light on dash. I believe the repair ran towards $1500 to perform correctly.

The timing belt/water pump can be done by an indy shop also. The V6 Honda in terms of timing belt is nothing new since the mid 1998ish so majority of shops have experience. I spent $700 on timing belt change/water pump on a MDX at Acura dealer but local rate is $105/hr and got a nice TSX wagon as a loaner.

Your trans will be fine. 2005 and up are OK. With that said, I would skip the 3X drain and top off. Do a full fluid exchange every 50K.

The belt is due at 105K per Honda, so no sweat there, either. No VCM is good! You bought the right one!

I do a lot of work on these vans, a line off exchange (notice i didn't use the word flush, there is no such machine on the market today) with Amsoil ATF is the best thing you can do for it.
The Amsoil really performs well over a long period of time. I started using it a long time ago and never had problem with any of these vans i put it in.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I believe the repair ran towards $1500 to perform correctly.

Its almost $1000 in parts alone per door if the locking mechanism with it is broke and a real PITA to do.

The doors are pretty easy to fix- main failure point is the middle roller and the latch mechanism. Parts are not too bad and access is not too bad- check odyclub.com for more info.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Your trans will be fine. 2005 and up are OK. With that said, I would skip the 3X drain and top off. Do a full fluid exchange every 50K.

The belt is due at 105K per Honda, so no sweat there, either. No VCM is good! You bought the right one!

I have the same 2008 Pilot engine and while I'm only at 70k, I'm more than 7 years out and starting to think about doing the TB.

I looked at the preview on Eric the Car Guy's page and it specifically says up to the 2007 models are covered....are there any differences on the 2008 vs. the 2007?

Originally Posted By: Scout1
One of my sons just bought a 2008 Odyssey with 95k miles.
For that matter, any advice on the timing belt replacement would be appreciated as well. Timing belt/water pump replacement was quoted as $995 at the dealer.

A little late now, but on cars with a timing belt the dealership will often throw in the repair if you ask during your negotiations. The going rate seems to be about $1000 at a dealer and maybe $700 at a indy shop.

Originally Posted By: Scout1
But wanting to think ahead if the trans does go out, what would be the best way to deal with that? Obviously we hope the current trans lasts but if it fails, we will need to make these decisions quickly so I thought I'd get some advice!

Transmission will be fine. They were pretty dialed in by 2008. Should have no trouble going 200K + miles.

Good choice on the 3X drain and fill. I would do the same. The transmission in mine was replaced in late 2005. I've done a D&F every 2 years since then and its been trouble free.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I do a lot of work on these vans, a line off exchange (notice i didn't use the word flush, there is no such machine on the market today) with Amsoil ATF is the best thing you can do for it.

I agree. I have a friend who has a 2006 Odyssey like mine, and even after the drain and top offs his fluid does not look new like mine does after an exchange.

What % does a 3X drain and top off replace? Something like 40-50%? (just guessing).

bubbatime said:
A little late now, but on cars with a timing belt the dealership will often throw in the repair if you ask during your negotiations. The going rate seems to be about $1000 at a dealer and maybe $700 at a indy shop.

We tried to negotiate that with several dealers but didn't have much success. Seems like there is a buying frenzy going on right now with everyone's tax returns burning a hole in their pockets! We got this dealer down a couple of grand but still paid slightly more than book (of course that depends on whose book you look at!)

Good to hear positives about this transmission. But I'd still like to hear if anyone knows of a good shop to use here in Seattle if something does go wrong. It's ridiculously easy to drop and refill the trans with a drain plug plus the top plug to pour the new in. Very easy... It's also the first automatic I've had where you check the fluid level with the engine off!!!

What % does a 3X drain and top off replace? I think about 90% on that vehicle; somebody had a spreadsheet around.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
What % does a 3X drain and top off replace? Something like 40-50%? (just guessing).

I think it gets you to about an 80% change of the fluid. You get 3.3 qts. when you dump and I think it's something like an 8.5 qts total in the system so 3X gets close to 80%. I'm not sure on that capacity though... if it's more it would be a lower percentage.

FWIW: Brother's '07 Odyssey Touring came with 50K. The transmission fluid was a little dark (had some brown in it). Can't remember if we've done 2 or 3 drain and fills to the trans but the stuff looks nice and clear red now.

Sorry to hear about the vulnerable automatic doors. I've never been a fan of car toys.
The Touring came with them. At 6' 7" he needed the adjustable pedals. Kira

Shop around when you are ready for the timing belt. I paid around $850 and that included a valve adjustment and coolant change at a local Honda dealership. On the trans, 3x with the DW-1 and you should be good to go. Maybe do it again at the next oil change. The 08 transmission is a good unit and previous failures weren't fluid related.

I am not sure why it would cost $1000 to repair even the most screwed up power door (outside of collision damage). Knock on wood, our 2005 has had no issues with the doors.

Also, pull the PCV valve and clean or replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back