Your thoughts on Pennzoil PP and PU with PurePlus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PP and PU were already good oils and reasonably priced by the jug.

Do you think the Natural gas produced base oil is really a big leap in oil technology?

Haven't tried the new formula yet but will eventually to see what all the hullabalo's about. From what I've read on here, QSUD seems comparable to it's more expensive bro PP. That's why I just get QSUD at Wally World. The old PU, at least, was a solid product.

Last edited:
Fischer Tropsch synthesis is old technology. It is merely that Shell has a massive (>$20B) investment in these types of plants. There is something to be said about leveraging GTL to lubricants versus crude/wax/gas to fuel liquids, given the distribution of products and the post-processing necessary, which is hydrogen intensive.

FT does indeed produce LOTS of waxes, so dont think for one minute that the Grp III GTLs arent derived from a wax source similar to how standard Grp IIIs are derived from slack wax.

But there is a benefit in that there is a bit more intrinsic control of the processes, rather than dealing with wax byproducts that could change daily in their sourcing.

I bought 15qts for the low noack, and the 5$ coupon from their website. At 4 bucks a qt for a know quality syn I think is a decent deal.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Do you think the Natural gas produced base oil is really a big leap in oil technology?

I use the 5w-40 grade, which still meets the same exact stringent mfg specs as it did before it was GTL-based. So from my perspective, the move to GTL didn't really gain me anything. Still a good oil that meets my needs. I just wait for it to go on sale before buying.

I've use the Pure Plus PP on two vehicles and found it worked very well. My engines were very quiet, only the injector noise was audible. I did standard OCI's using the OLM and everything looked great. A very clean oil. Though GTL is listed as Group 3 base stock, it is almost completely free of contaminants so it really should be in its own group (the unofficial Group 3+).

PU seems to be vaporwear, I've yet to see it on an actual store shelf anywhere.

Currently using PP in my old accord - have no issues with it. Great oil for the price. $5 off coupon - getting another 5 qt jug this weekend for the next oil change.

So far, I am still using QSUD which supposedly is not GTL, yet. If we see proof that GTL is better I would switch to PP. They could switch QSUD to GTL without telling us if it is cheaper for them to produce than traditional G3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back