2015 vehicles needing oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im dumbfounded. Do that many people just get log in name to ask a question for their brand new car/truck? Seriously, "what oil for my 2015?" How about what the owners manual states, and your personal preference on bottle color. Im sure that a vehicle has went extremely high miles on every type of oil, and engines have blown on every type of oil. IMO these questions serve as nothing more than filler, and the recommendation doesn't change from a 2015 Nissan to a 2015 Ford. Other than required weight, the info is exactly the same.

One of the threads in this board states that the 2015 car asked about is a lease. Really, why would one even care about anything other than the cheapest oil/filter than wont void warranty.

Rant off. The post looking for 60's engine oil recommendations, spot on. I would want to know who has high numbers of zinc and moly also. There is so much good info in here that if people would seriously take two seconds to think about what they are asking, they would see the answer is right in front of them, probably on the same page their post is on.

Here is a tip: You will never see the same person recommend M1 for a Nissan, and Syntec for a Ford. Find the weight you need, pick a bottle, and dump it in.

Last edited:
We all have questions, even on new vehicles. I understand sometimes the search button doesn't exactly come up with what one is looking for, but when the same question is listed 4 times on the first 3 pages, it pretty much shows a lack of even trying. A couple weeks ago I saw a question. "2015 Cadillac Escalade, which oil/filter?" I take it the vehicle was a gift, because if purchased, they would know its covered under GM premium care, and all service is covered for the first 50k or 4 years.

Last edited:
1) It is an oil message board, I'd sort of expect oil questions.
2) Some folks buy cars at the end of the lease.
3) None of this stuff actually matters in 99.9% of the cases.

Great rant. When I read those question, I wonder why the person thinks their car is so special that it can't use any oil on the Walmart shelf that meets their car's specs.

And it always amuses me when folks recommend a slightly different grade of oil than the recommended one.

Originally Posted By: camperbob
Im dumbfounded. Do that many people just get log in name to ask a question for their brand new car/truck? Seriously, "what oil for my 2015?" How about what the owners manual states, and your personal preference on bottle color. Im sure that a vehicle has went extremely high miles on every type of oil, and engines have blown on every type of oil. IMO these questions serve as nothing more than filler, and the recommendation doesn't change from a 2015 Nissan to a 2015 Ford. Other than required weight, the info is exactly the same.

One of the threads in this board states that the 2015 car asked about is a lease. Really, why would one even care about anything other than the cheapest oil/filter than wont void warranty.

Rant off. The post looking for 60's engine oil recommendations, spot on. I would want to know who has high numbers of zinc and moly also. There is so much good info in here that if people would seriously take two seconds to think about what they are asking, they would see the answer is right in front of them, probably on the same page their post is on.

Here is a tip: You will never see the same person recommend M1 for a Nissan, and Syntec for a Ford. Find the weight you need, pick a bottle, and dump it in.

Yes, new posters with new cars visit BITOG asking for oil recommendations on a regular basis. Most of the time, BITOG'ers tell them to follow the owners manual recommendations, or to take advantage of the dealers free oil changes, or to follow the OLM light to trigger oil changes. I think it helps to point out that the Owner's Manual should be read. This is something of a BITOG public service, so we take the time to welcome the noobies and answer their basic questions.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Yes, new posters with new cars visit BITOG asking for oil recommendations on a regular basis. Most of the time, BITOG'ers tell them to follow the owners manual recommendations, or to take advantage of the dealers free oil changes, or to follow the OLM light to trigger oil changes. I think it helps to point out that the Owner's Manual should be read. This is something of a BITOG public service, so we take the time to welcome the noobies and answer their basic questions.
Agreed; I remember when I came onto the board, I asked the same question (not the viscosity--that was set in the OM), but about brands and experiences with those brands. I hopped through 3 total before settling on M1 at about 110K.

So you are a member here for 2 weeks and you are already on a "rant" the way things should go here. Although I do agree folks should read their manual first or at least the oil fill cap.

Last edited:

Some folks care about this because they haven't ruled out the option of purchasing the vehicle at lease end, so I wouldn't give them a hard time over this.

Amsoil has some oil with high zinc for older hot rod engines I think.

I would assume the majority of cars are getting bulk oil from a dealer, or a Jiffy Lube or an indy shop. And a decent filter. The filter from the dealer is probably better than the one from Jiffy Lube. And none of these cars are going to have oil related issues as long as people come back for another oil change somewhat close to the schedule. This is probably 95 or higher percent of the cars on the road.

Originally Posted By: tig1
So you are a member here for 2 weeks and you are already on a "rant" the way things should go here. Although I do agree folks should read their manual first or at least the oil fill cap.

Who cares if your a new two week member or a long time member. This isn't a rocket science forum. Rant on I say.

What's your point bob? You sound nasty.

Not everyone knows as much about oil as you do. That's why they seek out oil forums and ask questions. If they knew the answers or even how to find them and then understand them, they would. But then again, if they could do that, there wouldn't be much of a need for folks like you.

Try a little tolerance....

Originally Posted By: robo339
I was just wanting to write the same thing lol too many dumb questions

Dumb questions should be answered with ignore. Next.

Im dumbfounded. Do that many people just get log in name to ask a question for their brand new car/truck? Seriously, "what oil for my 2015?"

People often look for "inside information" so to speak. A hack, an angle. Sometimes its there, sometimes not. What if there really is this cool new oil out there that cuts wear rates in half? Don't know until you ask random oil gurus-or-randomPeople on the forums.
A lot of oil recomendations in owner's manuals or on their oil filler caps are paid advertisements, so maybe there IS a better product out there.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

A lot of oil recomendations in owner's manuals or on their oil filler caps are paid advertisements, so maybe there IS a better product out there.

I agree regarding recommended oil brands in Owner's Manuals and filler caps, but not specs and viscosity. I trust the manual for that.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I agree regarding recommended oil brands in Owner's Manuals and filler caps, but not specs and viscosity. I trust the manual for that.

Specs are minimums. I say someone can always do better by upgrading to another spec thats tougher. Maybe sometimes you can't do this safely. Most of the time its safe. For example, upgrade from dexos1 to a 0w-30 (or the thinner 40's (like Castrol 0w-40)) in an LL-01 oil.

For example, upgrade from dexos1 to a 0w-30 (or the thinner 40's (like Castrol 0w-40)) in an LL-01 oil.

If your owner's manual calls for dexos1, then you'd better be using dexos1 oil for the sake of your new vehicle warranty. An LL-01 spec and dexos1 spec are nearly mutually exclusive. I've never seen an oil that carries both specs.

Ohhhhh they're just after me lucky charms!!!!!! Fred factory everyone wants that miracle spring water that cures cancer too

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

I have actually followed this site closely for about 18 months before making my first post. This board is made up of ALOT of opinion based questions and information.

Think of it as the local Library. Somewhere in the stacks of books is probably the book you need. However there will always be those people who will walk right in from the street, and ask the librarian to find the book for them, even if that book is on display right behind the counter.

Further more, anyone who thinks its economically viable to buy out a lease has more issues than what the best oil is. They need a few economics classes.

My good old FIL leased a 2013 Cadillac Escalade for 4 years. His payments were just a hair over 1100 a month. They buy back at the end was 40,000 something. Sticker price on the vehicle, 73,500. The buy out was 40,000 something. So in order to buy out the vehicle at the end of the lease, he would have paid 92,800 for a 73k vehicle.

And someone is worried about oil and filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back