How to change the fluid 2006 BMW 530I 3.0L I6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be helping my brother maintain one he just bought with 50K miles. Can give me fluid options and how to change, or link me. I have a suction pump if needed. I'm just going to do one or several drain and fills, or suck and fills and not mess with the internal filter at this time. The A/T has a manual shifting gate on the left, may be called a Steptronic transmission. Thanks

ZF is most likely the transmission manufacturer for that model.

The oil pan is plastic, and the filter is integral with the pan.

I just did this job on a 2007 525i, and I used the ZF fluid and filter from BavAuto.com. It is also highly recommended to replace the transmission pan bolts.

This method will replace 5.5 liters of fluid, and approximately 4.5 liters if you do not replace the pan (there is a drain plug). Many times the pan gasket is also leaking. There is also a mechatronic sleeve that is prone to leaking too. You'll be able to tell when you get under the car.

ZF video

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
I'm going to be helping my brother maintain one he just bought with 50K miles. Can give me fluid options and how to change, or link me. I have a suction pump if needed. I'm just going to do one or several drain and fills, or suck and fills and not mess with the internal filter at this time. The A/T has a manual shifting gate on the left, may be called a Steptronic transmission. Thanks

Last edited:
Try this .pdf http://www.zf.com/media/media/document/brands_3/service_information/sitematrix~1/transmission/cars_4/englisch_3/modelluebergreifend_1/ZP_SI_Oelwechselkit_EN.pdf

I use Lifeguard 6 (for the ZF 6 speed) and I get all the parts from thectsc.com

The only tricky part is getting the temperature right during the allotted time.

I think it's common practice to replace the mechatronic sleeve if it hasn't been done. This has to be done carefully and properly to prevent damage. It can be hard to see.

I used Motorcraft Mercon SP which is Shell M1375.4. I drain and fill every 30K miles, no issues, shifts smooth and car has over 60K miles on this ATF. Car is a 2006 530i with 130K miles.

Last edited:
Good post!

I would have used the Mercon SP, but I had already purchased the ZF fluid. The Mercon SP is available at O'Reilly's and the local Ford dealer for about $10 per qt, which is approximately half of the cost of the ZF fluid.

Originally Posted By: JimKo
I used Motorcraft Mercon SP which is Shell M1375.4. I drain and fill every 30K miles, no issues, shifts smooth and car has over 60K miles on this ATF. Car is a 2006 530i with 130K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back