How to change the oil on a 2006 BMW 530I 3.0 L I6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother just bought one with 50K on it and I'm going to be helping him maintain it. Can you tell me the procedure particularly how to fill it since I don't see a dipstick or link me to the info. I have an oil suction pump if that works better. Also suggest a good filter. Thanks

Sadly, the N52 engine in this car has no oil dipstick/tube, so you won't be able to use your oil extractor. Just drain it from the bottom.

This video is for a slightly different engine, but the oil change concept is the same... I don't remember if you can reset the oil change reminder light by yourself or if a special tool is needed.

It's simple and straight forward. You do the oil change at operating temps so be careful. Remove the oil filter first to allow oil to drain into the sump. Drain the oil and then install a new oil filter.

Specified capacity is 6.5 liters so start with 6 liters. Run the car to operating temp and then check the fluid level with the multi-function display. Adjust accordingly.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Remove the oil filter first to allow oil to drain into the sump. Drain the oil and then install a new oil filter.

Good point. The video above has it backwards. Not to mention the guy calls it a V6.
smile.gif

It's simple and straight forward. You do the oil change at operating temps so be careful. Remove the oil filter first to allow oil to drain into the sump. Drain the oil and then install a new oil filter.

Specified capacity is 6.5 liters so start with 6 liters. Run the car to operating temp and then check the fluid level with the multi-function display. Adjust accordingly.

Checking level on the display was the piece of the puzzle I needed. I didn't know if you just filled by volume and the system would only alert if low.

Buy OEM filter kit. It'll have all the necessary washers (oil pan and oil filter) . Also dealer oil is usually cheaper barring some bizarre sale.

Last edited:
Be sure and use a BMW specified oil as well. Mine is a 2000 528i and I use Castrol (I'm currently using up my old stock of GC) 0W-30 having a LL-01 spec, readily from any WalMart.

One hint is to use a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug. They're designed to fracture (to save the aluminum oil pan) should you over-tighten it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Remove the oil filter first to allow oil to drain into the sump. Drain the oil and then install a new oil filter.

Good point. The video above has it backwards. Not to mention the guy calls it a V6.
smile.gif

V6 is like cold beer, it's one word.

Nobody understands I6.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Checking level on the display was the piece of the puzzle I needed. I didn't know if you just filled by volume and the system would only alert if low.

On those cars I think its best to put in 6 quarts, then drive it a week, let the sensor settle, don't forget to reset the Oil Life Monitor system too!!! Then gradually top it off over the next few months with 1/4 quart at a time until the sensor reads full, give the sensor days to settle into a reading, its funny that way, has fooled many people.....(((This system actually reads resistance and capacitance of the oil fluid and combines with algorithms for driving style to determine oil Quality and hence when to change it next.)))

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Be sure and use a BMW specified oil as well. Mine is a 2000 528i and I use Castrol (I'm currently using up my old stock of GC) 0W-30 having a LL-01 spec, readily from any WalMart.

I've never seen a Walmart with Castrol 0w-30, only 0w-40, but it will work great too. Mobil1 0w-40 also a good choice, easily found too.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
I've never seen a Walmart with Castrol 0w-30,

The poster who mentioned that is in Canada. In Canada, Walmart does sell Castrol 0w-30.

Sadly, the N52 engine in this car has no oil dipstick/tube, so you won't be able to use your oil extractor. Just drain it from the bottom.

This video is for a slightly different engine, but the oil change concept is the same... I don't remember if you can reset the oil change reminder light by yourself or if a special tool is needed.

What was the reason BMW didn't have dipstick/tube for this engine ? They tried to save few dimes per engine ?

This is a very dumb idea from a billions company with many thousands smart engineers. Nobody within BMW didn't say anything about eliminating dipstick/tube from the engine would make oil change and checking oil much more difficult ? All for saving few pennies.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

What was the reason BMW didn't have dipstick/tube for this engine ? They tried to save few dimes per engine ?

This is a very dumb idea from a billions company with many thousands smart engineers. Nobody within BMW didn't say anything about eliminating dipstick/tube from the engine would make oil change and checking oil much more difficult ? All for saving few pennies.

IMO it's because so many of the initial sales are leases and these buyers have ever intention of doing no more than the bare minimum when it comes to maintenance. Have an idiot light for oil level fits the bill and the $20 dipstick / tube/ bracket is real money saved.

Sure it's a minor inconvenience for those of us who use a topsider.

TBH I've only checked the oil once on my current vehicle. I have a policy of not topping off if it's less than a quart/liter because I don't want opened bottles of good oil laying around the garage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
IMO it's because so many of the initial sales are leases and these buyers have ever intention of doing no more than the bare minimum when it comes to maintenance. Have an idiot light for oil level fits the bill and the $20 dipstick / tube/ bracket is real money saved.

TBH I've only checked the oil once on my current vehicle. I have a policy of not topping off if it's less than a quart/liter because I don't want opened bottles of good oil laying around the garage.

I would happily pay $50 for the dipstick option if there is one.

It's a real major inconvenience for change oil with drain plug compares with using an extractor.

This is one reason I went with a late E46 vs an E92. Ugh! No dipstick!
I am so glad wife's 2014 Mazda6 still came with a dipstick for engine oil and ATF.

It's a real major inconvenience for change oil with drain plug compares with using an extractor.

Agree or at least a tube to service the oil. My 335d had a dipstick. Now I gotta buy some [censored] ramps. FWIW I think Benz vacuums oil out via a tube but it doesn't have a dipstick.

Last edited:

From that standpoint, im glad the wife's Q5 still has a dipstick tube. And i bought her a $30 dipstick to go into it as i just dont trust these electronic level sensors too much.

Agree or at least a tube to service the oil. My 335d had a dipstick. Now I gotta buy some [censored] ramps. FWIW I think Benz vacuums oil out via a tube but it doesn't have a dipstick.

Older MB like my 2000 e430 has dipstick for oil, but no dipstick for ATF since it was supposed to be lifetime fluid with sealed cap.

I bought an ATF measuring tool for $20-25.

From that standpoint, im glad the wife's Q5 still has a dipstick tube. And i bought her a $30 dipstick to go into it as i just dont trust these electronic level sensors too much.

It is very cheap from manufactures that sell vehicles for $40-50k or more don't include dipstick. It doesn't make any sense that owners have to buy dipstick for $30 after paid $50k for the car. If manufactures include oil dipstick with every vehicle their cost is probably $4-5 each.

Let's face it - luxury makes don't want you to change your own oil. They want you to bring it into their service dept. And they don't care about 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners.

Let's face it - luxury makes don't want you to change your own oil. They want you to bring it into their service dept. And they don't care about 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners.

All manufactures don't want drivers/owners change their own oil or do any other any maintenance, they want us to bring our vehicles to their dealers for any service. They also want us to use their fluids, be it oil or coolant or ATF or brake fluid ...,

But we, the owners, like to do our own maintenance and we should be able to do it. If a manufacture try to make maintenance more difficult for DIY by eliminating previous available part(s)/equipment(s) I, as a consumer, will buy my next vehicle(most likely car) from other manufacture(s).

I was thinking about buying a new car the last few months, BMW 4-series was at or near the top of my shopping list. As of now, without the oil dipstick tube, it and all other BMW series are crossed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back