Engine Design Features That Permit 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: eddy21
Using a thicker oil plays [censored] with the variable valve timing components..

Yeah, those fords running the 5W20 only work between 95C and 100C oil temperatures...because at 32F, MC 5W20 is FIFTY times as thick as at 100C, and clearly the variable valve timing doesn't work at those temperatures...

or does it ?

The VVT doesn't work well with thicker oil myth continues. Lots of cars with VVT are running around Europe with 0w40 in the sump.
I guess i missed the dead engines littering the streets and dealer service bays flooded with non functioning VVT systems.

Lots of Honda ivtec engines running around here also with 0w40 in them and it was -25c a few times this past winter. they all did just fine.

Using a thicker oil plays [censored] with the variable valve timing components..

It does? Nissan's VVEL system has specifications from ILSAC rated 5w-30s to 40 grades throughout the world, through all kinds of climates. Oil choice is actually one of the smaller enemies of Nissan's system.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
The philosophy could be as simple as "for the CAFE benefit, we'll sacrifice minimal engine longevity"

That gets thrown out there by many here like it's fact.

I don't believe it's been studied and proven. We don't even have any testimonials to that. Not one that I've seen. Lots of people with high mileage Fords around.

And Hondas ... they were kind of the early adopters of 20 grade oils ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The philosophy could be as simple as "for the CAFE benefit, we'll sacrifice minimal engine longevity"

I don't believe it's been studied and proven. We don't even have any testimonials to that. Not one that I've seen. Lots of people with high mileage Fords around.

One of our old Gray marine engines from the 30's spec'd SAE 20
wink.gif
That was of course dependant upon anticipated ambient temps, as "typical" summer temps fell in the range it called for an SAE 30.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Since I bought one of the early Hondas that specced 5W20, I experienced this new phase first hand. My wife got a 2001 Accord 4 cyl in the fall of 2000. 5W20 was hard to find, sometimes I bought at the dealer, WalMart sporadically had Motorcraft. I stuck with it through warranty, then mainly ran Pennzoil 5W30 until I found bobistheoilguy. Then I went back to 5W20 or 0W20. At 272K miles, it seems to like 5W30 better, might run XW20 in the winters though.

Interesting quote from Honda

Quote:
In addition, there are concerns that simply lowering the engine oil viscosity may result in increased wear at high temperature, lower operating performance of hydraulic devices, and increased oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back