Tenant Called Said His Oil Is Full Of Anti Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Claud
Originally Posted By: Olas

Mending what you have isn't a waste of money, it's an intelligent use of funds!
Wasting money is scrapping a car for a manifold gasket only to drop several grand on a new vehicle.

Make do and mend! Waste not, want not!

I agree, but what are the chances of picking up a 3.1 V6 in the UK?.

Claud.

To be honest I don't know as I never looked, but it probably won't be too easy.
Luckily the OP is in New Jersey so it doesn't matter wether you or I could source one.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Mending what you have isn't a waste of money, it's an intelligent use of funds!
Wasting money is scrapping a car for a manifold gasket only to drop several grand on a new vehicle.

Make do and mend! Waste not, want not!

Did you miss the part where he drove it all winter with antifreeze in the oil ruining everything?

Fixing it before winter would have been intelligent use of funds.

I didnt miss it, I read the whole post. Repairing it sooner would have been prudent but that doesn't change the fact that it is cheaper to repair what you have than I go out. And by a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Jiffy_Chris
The cost of the gaskets themselves is not too high. It's the labor that kills it. If it was my car and I couldn't do it myself or have a friend help for a reasonable price then a head gasket means my car is done. Hate to say it but if the tenant can't do it himself or with your help he's gonna be looking at paying a shop more than the value of the car.

It doesn't make any difference if the cost of repairs is more than the value of the car, that is unimportant.
What matters is wether the cost of repairs are more, or less, than the cost of a new vehicle.
Will you spend more cash by fixing what you have? Or will you spend more cash purchasing a new vehicle?

I agree, but what are the chances of picking up a 3.1 V6 in the UK?.

Claud. [/quote]

To be honest I don't know as I never looked, but it probably won't be too easy.
Luckily the OP is in New Jersey so it doesn't matter wether you or I could source one. [/quote]

I was aware of that, but how quickly and cheaply you can source a replacement part - any part, not just an engine, - needs to be weighed against fixing whatever is broken. Like the Doc in Back to the future 3 needing gasoline in the nineteenth century. No gas available at all, so he had to fix his problem with a railroad locomotive because a trip to a gas station with a 5 gallon can wasn't an option.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back