Cat food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

random post here. I've always bought my cat Blue Buffalo with the belief that is one of the better ones on the market, like top 3. I figured anything was better than Purina or Kibbles and Bits. But then I stumble upon this:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html

Nutro, another brand I considered to be a good one, also has awful reviews.

What do you guys feed the pets?

Last edited:
Purina or Kibbles and Bits don't seem to fill my cat up. She used to be hungry all the time. So I bought a bag of VIP Petfoods natures goodness grainfree+36% protein+18% fat, at HEB. Now I feed her 1/4th cup 2 times a day and she's happy.

Cats (13 yo and 3 yo) eat Meow Mix Hairball Control. Dogs (2 yo and 5 yo) eat Pedigree. All seem to be fairly healthy.

Orijen. Never had a recall. Do just a little research and you'll find that pet food is the dumping ground for food that isn't fit for human consumption.

They are in the process of setting up manufacturing here in the states to keep up with demand. I settled on it years ago for the dog since she had perfect stools. I always think about trying something less expensive but I don't think its worth the trial and error going through a poopy butt. Cat gets the 6-fish formula

orijen
Acana a little less expensive
parent company Champion
dog food advisor

thats... sad to read.

Been Feeding Blue to my Cat for a couple years now, after the Purina she was eating was discontinued.
so far so good. no issues. My sister even started using the same food when they got their cat.

but if they have gone to Chinese manufacture, i will have to find something else. I don't trust them with any Pet Foods after the chicken jerky recall a couple years back. (and the contaminated baby Formula before that)

Originally Posted By: LotI
Orijen. Never had a recall. Do just a little research and you'll find that pet food is the dumping ground for food that isn't fit for human consumption.

They are in the process of setting up manufacturing here in the states to keep up with demand.

orijen

Same here. My 14 year old black alley cat loves it, as do our two Himalayan's.

Quote:

Do just a little research and you'll find that pet food is the dumping ground for food that isn't fit for human consumption.

OT:A recent AP report (like 3 or 4 days ago) indicated some slaves were being kept in cages in Indonesia or Burma and forced to fish for stuff that eventually ends up on your dinner table or in US brand cat food.

I was feeding my most recent cat this

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/cats/dry_food/rocky_mountain_feline_formula/

Last edited:
Look for either Taste of the Wild or Diamond Natural...high quality at a reasonable price. High protein, no by-products, etc.

ya its important to know whats in the pets food not just reviews.

I feed my beagle natural balance original formula.

check them out i think they make cat food.

If you have a Trader Joes in town, try their canned cat food.

Cheap , around 70 cents for a can, no grain or fillers.

Watch the fish, however. Mercury accumulates in the body.

We feed our cat and dogs dry food from Fromm. Family run company, ingredients sourced locally.

I'm a little surprised to read all the negative reviews of Blue Buffalo. I don't have experience using it, but based on the ingredient list it looks like a high quality pet food.

3 oz. cans either salmon or chicken flavor
- Blue Buffalo
- Instinct
- Muse
- Pro Plan
- Innova

dry food
- Pro Plan Savor chicken and rice flavor

Orijen is excellent, used to feed it to our cat before she decided to get picky. Then she got taste of the wild until she got tired of that. Now she's eating solid gold. The dog gets taste of the wild and is healthy as can be at 8.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I don't have any cats. As a matter if fact, I hate the nasty creatures. I usually feed them a round out of my .17 when I see one. That is, if my dogs don't get to them first....

Why did you feel the need to post that?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
I don't have any cats. As a matter if fact, I hate the nasty creatures. I usually feed them a round out of my .17 when I see one. That is, if my dogs don't get to them first....

Why did you feel the need to post that?

Trolling or a lack of social skills.

I'm largely indifferent towards cats, if people want to house them then it's their own choice, but;

I feel cat owners are irresponsible - how often do you see a cat owner walking their cat? Picking up its poop? Trying to stop it from killing songbirds? I think we would hold the same expectations of cat owners as we do of dog owners.

For quite some time now, we have been trying to manage a food allergy that has been causing feline acne on my cat. After trying several different foods- some of which she straight up wouldn't touch, we had settled on some Blue Buffalo. Well wouldn't you know it- her allergies which had been mostly managed and acne which had been mostly cleared up, returned. Another switch- this time to Royal Canin seems to have it cleared up. Before making the connection to the Blue Buffalo, we fed her some more when we ran out of the Royal Canin... Itchy chin returned nearly immediately. Once back to the Royal Canin, the itchiness has abated and she is on the road to recovery.

After reading the reviews from the link in the o/p, I seriously doubt that I'll ever feed it again, no matter the formula.

So- thank you Throt for starting this thread and posting the link!

Originally Posted By: Olas
I'm largely indifferent towards cats, if people want to house them then it's their own choice, but;

I feel cat owners are irresponsible - how often do you see a cat owner walking their cat? Picking up its poop? Trying to stop it from killing songbirds? I think we would hold the same expectations of cat owners as we do of dog owners.

I agree, which is one of many reasons we keep our kitties indoors.

Getting back to topic, many years ago I had a cat with skin allergies and the vet told me to sprinkle something on his food. Cleared right up! It was in a canister and looked kind of like light brown sugar but I just can't remember what it is called!
mad.gif

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back