Flashing high beams at other drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very vigilant when it comes to driving in the fast lane and keep an eye wide open for what happens behind me. I usually give way, if I'm not willing to speed up, before I get flashed at.

That being said, if the driver's an a-hole and continually flashes, I take my sweet time giving way. If they push it, especially with aftermarket HIDs, my rear hideaways in the reverse lights come right on.

I hate tailgaters, and avoid it myself at all costs. But when you're running code 2 or 3 and the driver in front refuses to give way, it gets very frustrating and I usually do to some extent.

On motorways in the UK we have three lanes.
The law states that all vehicles must stay in the left lane except when overtaking, which must always be done on the right.
Thre are idiots who don't observe these rules, they usually end up missing their exit, and having other drivers flash lights and beep horns at them to express dissatisfaction.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
People here are complaining that the left is for passing. That is true. But what the left lane IS NOT for is going however fast you want to go....staying in that lane continuously...and flashing anybody that doesn't go as fast as you'd like.

It's as though it's convenient to bring up the left lane laws for your own selfish needs....yet ignore the law about speed limits.

I think this is a very good point. Some here keep screaming about "the law", but only the law that they want others to follow. The fact that they are breaking a different law themselves, is "none of your business". IOW, you have to obey law A, but don't you dare point out that I'm breaking law B.

If traffic's so thick you're on the tail of someone 2-3 seconds ahead of you in the left lane, you should have no obligation to move over. However, if the car in front of you has a wider gap, they should. Presumably, then, you'd accelerate and pass them promptly, and pass anyone else in the right lane(s) as you continue bombing down the left.

If you develop a gap in front and a car behind, it's your turn to move over, even if you're actively passing, or "gonna pass that guy ahead in 10 seconds." It's quite dangerous if you're going 70, to pass a guy going 65, and a guy doing 80 cuts right around you then dogs left to avoid the 65 guy in the right lane, as you're actively closing the gap. Having you move right, encouraging by flashing, means you can't close the gap without hitting 65-guy's bumper, and 80 guy has a free shot to get out of everyone's way.

And seriously, changing lanes takes very little physical effort, turning a power assisted wheel, pressing a spring loaded pedal, and rotating one's head for an all-clear.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
And seriously, changing lanes takes very little physical effort, turning a power assisted wheel, pressing a spring loaded pedal, and rotating one's head for an all-clear.

And don't forget about using your indicators.

Doing this aggressively is obnoxious. However it can be effective I have seen in observing forgotful drivers in the left lane. However ineffective when the left slow driver plays games and road rage starts to flare. No winners ever there.

If you drive in the left lane and there is no left exit you have an obligation to yield to faster traffic if safe in a timely manner. The middle and right lanes it obnoxious at best to harass drivers or expect them to yield to you when the left lane exists.

Flashing high beams has a variety of laws in US as it can be used as an indicator of a speed trap. I think that is all the law is concerned about in certain locales little else.

The big problem I see here in the US is that most drivers are oblivious to what is happening behind them. Their only concern is what's in front of them. So I understand why someone would flash their lights to get their attention. But even then many don't understand the meaning.

I make it a habit of scanning my rear view mirrors almost continuously. If I happen to be in the left lane passing slower traffic to my right, but see a fast approaching vehicle in the rear view mirror, I quickly move over so that they don't have to disrupt their faster flow. The same concept applies when I want to enter the left lane - I look for fast approaching traffic behind me and wait until they pass so that I don't cut them off.

If people were a little more considerate and a little less self-centered, there would be no need for lights flashing. If it wasn't that impractical, I'd propose that all US drivers-to-be were sent to Europe to learn proper driving techniques.

The only time I get mad is when cars in all lane forms a roadblock even though the road is empty ahead of them. And this goes on for miles. Either pass the car quickly or stay behind if you can't. How difficult is that concept to understand?

And if you are already going above the speed limit, let the bigger fool go ahead of you. He will be the one pulled over rather than you! I love people who wants to drive faster than me. They are blazing the trails for me. You are a complete moron if you are trying to block them.

And how many times you have seen this situation:- Two vehicles following each other in the middle/right lane for many minutes. The guy behind sees somebody coming up fast in the left lane. Boom, our hero decides it is NOW the time to pull in the left lane to pass the guy in front of him which was content to stay behind him for last five minutes. It is as if he suddenly realizes, "I need to pass him NOW."

One should drive on the interstate without touching the brakes OR making other drivers touch their brakes. But that means intelligent drivers. Probably less than 5% of motoring public in USA have the basic intelligence to drive on public road.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
And how many times you have seen this situation:- Two vehicles following each other in the middle/right lane for many minutes. The guy behind sees somebody coming up fast in the left lane. Boom, our hero decides it is NOW the time to pull in the left lane to pass the guy in front of him which was content to stay behind him for last five minutes. It is as if he suddenly realizes, "I need to pass him NOW."

LOL! That's what I was talking about above. People will just senselessly cut you off because they don't care what is happening behind them.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
People here are complaining that the left is for passing. That is true. But what the left lane IS NOT for is going however fast you want to go....staying in that lane continuously...and flashing anybody that doesn't go as fast as you'd like.

It's as though it's convenient to bring up the left lane laws for your own selfish needs....yet ignore the law about speed limits.

I think this is a very good point. Some here keep screaming about "the law", but only the law that they want others to follow. The fact that they are breaking a different law themselves, is "none of your business". IOW, you have to obey law A, but don't you dare point out that I'm breaking law B.

Yep...thank you. You read and understood my point precisely!

I think everyone understands that point, however that still doesn't negate the fact that if you're slower than traffic in the left lane, you should move over. Not because it's the law, but it seems that if you sit in the left lane, it tends to cause road rage. Road rage isn't good for anyone. So just move over and don't worry about what the law says and whether people are hypocrites or not.

That may be true as that probably applies to other cases like murderers and other psychopaths, but it still exists so why foster it? You can't will it away or pretend it doesn't exist. Remember when motorists in CA were shooting each other?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

I think everyone understands that point, however that still doesn't negate the fact that if you're slower than traffic in the left lane, you should move over. Not because it's the law, but it seems that if you sit in the left lane, it tends to cause road rage. Road rage isn't good for anyone. So just move over and don't worry about what the law says and whether people are hypocrites or not.

I agree that nobody should drive slow in the left lane. That was never the issue for me and I drive safely and with regard toward others.

It's the flashing headlight...moronic and pushy idiots that I have a problem with. But yes...if a fool is going slow (below the speed limit) in the left lane....and not allowing people to pass....I can understand an occasional light flash. But that's not what I see happening. I see plenty of people driving in the left lane going maybe 10 mph OVER the limit yet STILL have clowns flash them to get out of the way.

Road rage? That is completely the responsibility of the person behaving enraged. No excuse for that sort of behavior, nor can it be blamed on a granny in the left lane.

When I am driving at speed limit, I am in the right lane.

When I am bombing down the highway, I am in the right lane as that has the most open space!

I agree that nobody should drive slow in the left lane. That was never the issue for me and I drive safely and with regard toward others.

It's the flashing headlight...moronic and pushy idiots that I have a problem with. But yes...if a fool is going slow (below the speed limit) in the left lane....and not allowing people to pass....I can understand an occasional light flash. But that's not what I see happening. I see plenty of people driving in the left lane going maybe 10 mph OVER the limit yet STILL have clowns flash them to get out of the way.

Road rage? That is completely the responsibility of the person behaving enraged. No excuse for that sort of behavior, nor can it be blamed on a granny in the left lane.

Regardless if you have a problem with it or not, slower traffic should always keep to the right regardless of what the speed limit is. Just a basic rule of the road. Just remember that speed limits are artificially low, most federal highways were designed with a 70 mph speed limit in mind. There are always idiots on the road, don't be another one of them, even if you have a problem with someone flashing you, if you're going slow, move over. Isn't it strange how none of this is a problem in Germany on the Autobahn? They all just move over and they have less accidents. The problem here is the people who have problems....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Brilliant. After all, it would be a major dishonor to let someone pass you. How dare they?
33.gif

Perhaps you missed the part where there were ice chunks flying off the back of his trailer?

I see plenty of people driving in the left lane going maybe 10 mph OVER the limit yet STILL have clowns flash them to get out of the way.

Which part of "Slower traffic keep right" do you not understand? It makes absolutely no difference at what specific speed you are going. If there are other cars going faster than you, then you are the "slower traffic" and you should keep right if there is space there to do so.

http://www.slowertraffickeepright.com/

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Brilliant. After all, it would be a major dishonor to let someone pass you. How dare they?
33.gif

Perhaps you missed the part where there were ice chunks flying off the back of his trailer?

I did. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back