Denso Spark Plugs for C5 Z06 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help from the resident GM guys on this one.

I ordered in a set of Denso 5090 Long-Life Iridium plugs for a 2003 Corvette Z06. I am not too familiar with the vehicles, but Denso is usually my go-to for all spark plug needs.

The Denso catalog called for the #5090 plugs in this particular application - is there any reason why these will not work properly? I only ask because some cars have some idiosyncrasies that outsiders like me may not be familiar with.

Thanks!

Shouldn't be an issue. Even if you were to order oem plugs, ac delco doesn't make anything so denso could very well be the oem for the plugs on your vehicle.

So long as the gap is correct, just about any plug should work just fine.
Personally I like Bosch Platinum +4, they seem to resist fouling, I've never had one fail or miss on me, and I get them for a great price.
As always, YMMV

I put a set of AC Delco iridium plugs in a Cobalt once. The plugs are labeled AC Delco with the GM part number and on the metal base of the plugs is stamped "Made in Japan". So, it's possible that the AC Delco's are Denso or possibly NGK.

The car came back to me two years later with a cylinder mis-fire. One of those expensive iridium plugs had a separated center electrode that was sitting down against the ground electrode. I noticed it when I went to inspect the plug under a magnifier. When it was tip-up the gap was normal, when it was tip down the gap was non-existant. I'd never seen this before and so I cut the plug in half and use it for a display.

A bit off topic... Denso is also my go-to plug. I like NGK too.

Those will be fine, what about the wires? Rock has a few sets of the Delco OE reds for $60 and the OE blacks for almost $90.
I would stay clear of the Denso wires, the QC doesn't seem to good on them.

Maybe their OE line is better than their aftermarket. I had a bum set right out of the box and had to pull the intake to change them again.
That left me with a sour taste about them.

I meant Denso plugs. I guess I should have clarified. OEM wires are usually the best. I have a set of Taylor's on the WS6 right now. I got them new for 40 dollars shipped. That is the only reason why. Well that is a lie, they are blue, I like blue and blue is soothing.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The plugs are good. What bothered me about the wires it has Made in USA right on the box but then inside the pamphlet has Assembled in USA from imported parts.
The wires had no company markings at all on them and the box was sealed.The NGK had NGN on the wires and even the position marked at the ends.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I ordered in a set of Denso 5090 Long-Life Iridium plugs for a 2003 Corvette Z06. I am not too familiar with the vehicles, but Denso is usually my go-to for all spark plug needs.

The Denso catalog called for the #5090 plugs in this particular application - is there any reason why these will not work properly? I only ask because some cars have some idiosyncrasies that outsiders like me may not be familiar with.

Thanks!

DENSO won't work properly? DENSO is the best. If they don't work, nothing will work.

Why are you getting the iridium long-life? Iridium twin-tip #4713 is the state-of-the-art spark plug for that engine.

http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part/vehicle-selection

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Thanks!

DENSO won't work properly? DENSO is the best. If they don't work, nothing will work.

Why are you getting the iridium long-life? Iridium twin-tip #4713 is the state-of-the-art spark plug for that engine.

http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part/vehicle-selection

Yes, IF the C5's LS1/LS6 are anywhere near as much of a b***h to change as the 4th gen f body LS1s are, I would want something that could last >200K miles!!! (Mine has the NGK Laser Iridiums in it.)

Denso should be fine. The C5 plugs are a little easier than the F-bodies, but still no walk in the park.

I looked up the plugs at my vendor and for the Denso 5090 it says ".040" GAP - DENSO IS OE MANUFACTURER - IRIDIUM LONG-LIFE - w/PLATINUM GROUND STRAP - PATENTED IRIDIUM ALLOY PLUG (90% IR)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back