Bigger filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 2014 impala LTZ. I did a oil change yesterday to synthetic. I picked up a Napa Gold filter for the change and when I removed the ac delco filter, the Napa Gold was about 1.5 inches longer. I called and double checked at Napa and it's the right filter. So today I stopped at Advanced auto and checked the M1 and Pure one filters. They are the same size as
The ac delco filter. Other the a extra splash of oil there is no difference. So the question is.... There wouldn't be any performance issues to be concerned about, would there ? The car ran fine last night to work and I just don't want to risk engine troubles down the road.

Dan
2014 Impala LTZ
Napa Gold filter
Castrol Edge 5w30 synthetic.

Last edited:
A lot of folks prefer the larger filter. It has the opportunity (but not a guarantee) to have more filter media available.

Napa Gold is a "house branded" WIX filter, one of the better filters available.

Last edited:
Wix probably uses the larger filter so they don't have to manufacture a new one. Nothing wrong with that. The bypass is internal I believe and the only thing you have to match up is gasket diameter and thread size.

Depends on the filter manufacturer's catalog. There's a tall and short filter that fits your engine. Short filter = about 6qts capacity, taller = about 6.3 qts.

You won't have any issues with either. Personally I like the taller one.

It's all good, in fact many ppl around here buy an oversized filter on purpose.

I might be doing it b/c the one for my car is always out of stock

Hmm. Could be be longer because the base end bypass takes up more room?

Cut the AC Delco open, take a pic with a ruler next to it for comparison then cut the WIX open after use. The media might actually be nearly identical in size.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Thanks Mom;

If the SAE 40 doesn't do it
the filter will.

Hey, some don't know that. So I say it. But I still use larger oil filters on my cars, bikes and motorhome.

If you want a larger oil filter for a late model GM engine, I would make a oil filter adapter like this(just make the inside threads match the stock threads, and pick the outside threads that give you the best filter for your car)
http://rjcracing.com/product/oil-filter-adapter/
I made one for my supercharged 3800 V6 and had about 8 filters to choose from. I'm going to make one for my motorhome(Ford V10) so I can run a 2 Qt. oil filter instead of the FL820 filter.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back