Is 1/2 quart overfill enough to be concerned about

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I would like to know, WHICH CAR out there freaks out when there's a half quart, or even a full quart over full? I don't think there is one.

if you was really thirsty would you try to fill your 16oz glass with 18oz soda? never overfill on purpose

If Doug would tell you to man up, and quit whining about Valvoline products, would you? I doubt it, much easier to be a troll.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Spare me. Without even trying, I can provide a dozen forum members whose advice I'd take over some ASE guy. If Doug Hillary told me to do the exact opposite of what some ASE guy told me, I'd do what Doug said without question.

Originally Posted By: jacky
i agree im just some guy with an opinion
if anyone on here has A.S.E certifaction papers or training by walmart auto etc.. i would love to see their papers
they must be up to date, if your papers are expired you are no longer qualified to do that kind of work

if you was really thirsty would you try to fill your 16oz glass with 18oz soda? never overfill on purpose.

In that case, the extra two ounces has no place to go; but in an oil pan, the oil level will simply raise up a little ways.

The question is:
Will the oil level raise up far enough to hit your crankshaft?

Here's a good analogy: How many gallons of water does it take to raise the water level in your swimming pool one inch?

Shouldn't cause a problem but I understand your frustration.

As the saying goes, if you want something done right....

Last edited:
Back in the olden days, oil came in tin cans and you had this pointy spout tool to get the oil out and pour it in your car. If you were a 1/2 quart low, you just dumped the whole can in because you couldn't reseal the can and didn't want to discard a 1/2 quart of oil. In today's modern times, it's very plausible that the average person see their oil was a half quart low would dump in a whole quart of oil either accidentally if the oil came out faster than expected or on purpose. It would be some boneheaded engineering if an engine couldn't handle an extra 1/2 quart of oil.

You're right.
Each engine is its own animal.
Overfilling your lawnmower by half a quart would be bad.
Overfilling your car by half a quart would be of no concern.
I always dumped a five quart jug into both our '99 Accord and our '97 Aerostar, both of which had listed capacities of 4.5 quarts, both bought new with never an oil change by anyone other than me.
Guess what happened after 175K and twelve years?
Guess how much oil I dump into the '02 Accord beater I'm daily driving.
Hint: I use the empty G-Oil jug as my waste oil container.
I'll second Oil Changer's offer, incidentally.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Only on BITOG does a simple a question get 35 replies....

Here's one more. The 8th generation (1998-2002) Corolla engines (1ZZ-FE) were made with too small and too few oil ports under the piston oil ring. Over time the ports plugged up and resulted in oil consumption problems. In a desperate bid to prevent this from happening Toyota sent out a TSB that said these engines should be filled with an additional 1/2 qt of oil.

So there you have it. Toyota's seal of approval that overfilling your engine by 1/2 qt is OK.
wink.gif

Might as well put my experience into this sinking ship

My VG33E always called for 4 quarts with a filter change

A combo of Ford/Nissan dealers, several chain and Indy shops have been changing its oil for the past 10 years have done many a [censored] things to it.
I've seen a OCOD, Conventional 10w-40, and 5! Quarts of it put into said engine on more then one occasion.

...things still going with no oil related failures? Don't ask me why
confused.gif

Around 2011 we all came to our senses, and now it gets a quality filter, and 4! quarts of Fun Syn 5w-30 which is called for.

TLDR: It's fine, but DIY next time if doing things with posterity and satisfying OCD let's you sleep at night.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Next time I'll take in 4 qts instead of a 5 qt jug. That will limit how much he can overfill.

I would just change it myself.

if you was really thirsty would you try to fill your 16oz glass with 18oz soda? never overfill on purpose

I would drink it out of the bottle
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jdavis
or training by walmart auto etc..

I almost spit up my drink reading that
Lol +1

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What I would like to know, WHICH CAR out there freaks out when there's a half quart, or even a full quart over full? I don't think there is one.

My car 2000 MB E430.

Some years ago I filled 9 quarts into the 8.5 quarts sump, the level on dipstick was about 3/32" above full. The on-board computer kept displaying the message "oil overfilled, reduce oil level" whenever I start the engine. After 2-3 weeks I was tired of the message and nagging from wife, I had to extract 1/2 quarts with Mityvac.

Since then I filled only 8 quarts(1/2 low) and the engine seems happier.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

My car 2000 MB E430.

Some years ago I filled 9 quarts into the 8.5 quarts sump, the level on dipstick was about 3/32" above full. The on-board computer kept displaying the message "oil overfilled, reduce oil level" whenever I start the engine. After 2-3 weeks I was tired of the message and nagging from wife, I had to extract 1/2 quarts with Mityvac.

Since then I filled only 8 quarts(1/2 low) and the engine seems happier.

Unreal. I wonder if the oil was actually hitting the crankshaft or if the computer just didn't like the extra oil because it was programed to report any extra oil. I'd be curious to know how sensitive it is. I'd keep adding 1 oz. at a time until the light went on.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back