Honda Ultra NEXT super-high VI motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. As I have posted here recently, I've got a new (2015) Honda Fit. So far, by the way, I'm liking the car a lot.

It just so happens that my good friend in Japan has the same car with the same engine 1.5L engine. Recently we got talking about the car, and he mentioned to me that he uses Honda Ultra NEXT motor oil in his car. I did some digging online, and found a few things of interest. This page discusses both the Honda Ultra NEXT and Honda Ultra "Green" oils:
http://www9.atwiki.jp/oil-properties/pages/128.html
(It's in Japanese, but Google Translate may elucidate at least something)

From what I can gather, the Ultra Next has a VI of nearly 270!

Any thoughts on this oil? Being a very generous Japanese, my good friend offered to send me a 4L container of this stuff to check out. Should I have any reservations about actually using it in my car, though? Most material online seems to suggest it's for hybrid cars only, but it does appear that the new Fit was designed to use it, so that info may be outdated.

Last edited:
I was already thinking of doing that, especially if there's interest here!
wink.gif

Where is the room for a little fuel dilution, especially common in direct injection engines? These oil have very low HTHS viscosities already. A typical 2 percent fuel dilution drops it down even further.

Originally Posted By: fourside
Hey guys. As I have posted here recently, I've got a new (2015) Honda Fit. So far, by the way, I'm liking the car a lot.

It just so happens that my good friend in Japan has the same car with the same engine 1.5L engine. Recently we got talking about the car, and he mentioned to me that he uses Honda Ultra NEXT motor oil in his car. I did some digging online, and found a few things of interest. This page discusses both the Honda Ultra NEXT and Honda Ultra "Green" oils:
http://www9.atwiki.jp/oil-properties/pages/128.html
(It's in Japanese, but Google Translate may elucidate at least something)

From what I can gather, the Ultra Next has a VI of nearly 270!

Any thoughts on this oil? Being a very generous Japanese, my good friend offered to send me a 4L container of this stuff to check out. Should I have any reservations about actually using it in my car, though? Most material online seems to suggest it's for hybrid cars only, but it does appear that the new Fit was designed to use it, so that info may be outdated.

Interesting page! I know the translation isn't perfect but I figured I'd quote some of it:

Quote:
ULTRA GREEN and ULTRA NEXT are both ultra-low viscosity oil out of the standard, but nature is I it seems quite different from that.
Ultra Green initially second generation Insight and at the same time set thing was but founder Insight (1999) for the hybrid also has become available settings,
then a part of the fit and life is not limited to the HV vehicles was also made available to the model.
+

Green available non-hybrid vehicles

Ultra next is claiming an integrated development of the engine oil billed with engine oil for next-generation engine.
This oil is N-ONE (NA model) at the same time setting to gain S07A, became then remodeled S07A N-BOX even specified oil engine.
Then Accord hybrid, third generation fit, has been increasing Vu~izeru and application models.
I will think what is quite a low viscosity than Ultra Green from the point that only a new engine.

When it seems higher than 0W-20 both when you expected from the price considering the fairly inexpensive point than GOLD is a PAO base for base oil,
base oil's slightly also contain, such as only PAO and ester in Group 3 base oil I will think.
The reason for the high price of PAO base to think the fact that cost and also the general public vehicle for oil it would be difficult.

Quote:
Effective in reducing the fuel efficiency of HTHS viscosity of practical temperature range as described in more of the above (80 ~ 100 ℃), you will need a high viscosity index and to decrease while maintaining the 150 ℃ HTHS.
If you look at the earlier HTHS graph of 150 ℃ HTHS are two types of prototype oil before and after 6.0cP and 6.7cP is HTHS of 80 ℃ of 2.4 before and after, is 150 ℃ HTHS is prototype oil 2.0cP rang 80 ℃ HTHS and 5.0cP have.
There as that in certain patent application 80 ℃ HTHS / 150 ℃ HTHS = 0.4 or more is preferable from fuel economy, 80 ℃ HTHS 6.0cP / 150 ℃ HTHS 2.4cP prototype oil and
80 ℃ HTHS 6.0cP / 150 ℃ HTHS 2.0 prototype oil cP will be either 0.4 because it can be said that roughly And what you have along with it.
Viscosity index to 0.4 or more in the examples in this patent application has become a generally require more than 250.
If similar Specifications a is if if Ultra Green and the next you might have more than 250 high viscosity index.
You think whether this is the viscosity an exponential amount of polymer also become quite a lot will it seems is the form to add a lot of excellent PMA system VII in viscosity index improvers action.

Quote:
Biggest obstacle of API standard acquisition of ultra-high VI · ultra-low viscosity oil What volatility. To the ultra low viscosity and ultra-high viscosity index should be larger amount added the polymer to very low viscosity base oils.
But I will probably here in the evaporation of the latest API standards and regulations (NOACK) 15% is in the neck.
If this evaporation of base oil clearing attempts to prescribe very low viscosity oil and ultra-high viscosity index oil
and will viscosity index reaches a certain viscosity only by the original addition of a small amount of polymer has high kinematic viscosity of the base oil will be difficult to increase the.

Quote:
You can not normalized by the SAE viscosity classification outside of the time of the ULTRA next.
If dish is really a viscosity of non-standard, and the aim high viscosity index is difficult volatility will seems that can not pass.
To clear the 15% in the general group 3 base oil requires a per 4cSt grade, and next is when aiming a high viscosity index of less than 250 over 5.6cSt
base seems harsh in 4cSt, high viscosity To aim the index it is thought that there may be need to be based on a per 3cSt grade but
it would be impossible to pass the 15% NOACK in GrIII base oil of less than 4cSt. If a low viscosity and low volatility base or of being high loading, such as ester base oil
volatility will likely be ensured, but it might be difficult to use in popular goods for costly.

Here's the page from Honda's site:

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-parts/oil/

Translation for these two oils:

Quote:
Ultra NEXT

Durability and fuel-saving performance engine oil for next-generation engine that combines a high dimensionality of the engine.

- integrated development and vehicle engine

- Low viscosity in the entire temperature range of the engine from low to high temperatures
This oil, has been even lower viscosity than standard of most low viscosity is set in the quality standard for the pursuit of fuel economy.

- In addition to ultra NEXT recommended vehicle, please do not use.

- because it does not conform to the standard of SAE, but there is no mark of API / ILSAC was developed along with the engine of the vehicle, there is no problem at all on the function, so we have conducted a performance test a wide variety.

-engine oil is different applied by car make model. Please use on the instruction manual of the vehicle body of the check.

- The price, please contact your Honda dealer.

ph_next.jpg

Quote:
Ultra Green

Honda hybrid and fuel-efficient gasoline engine for engine oil.

- Honda hybrid engine and integrated development

- environmental performance that was clear the harsh endurance test
This oil, has been even lower viscosity than standard of most low viscosity is set in the quality standard for the pursuit of fuel economy.

- because it does not conform to the standard of SAE, but there is no mark of API / ILSAC was developed along with the engine of the vehicle, there is no problem at all on the function, so we have conducted a performance test a wide variety.

- In addition to Ultra Green recommended vehicle, please do not use.

- engine oil is different applied by car make model. Please use on the instruction manual of the vehicle body of the check.

- The price, please contact your Honda dealer.

ph_green.jpg

It would appear that Honda and Toyota really are chasing that fuel economy through thinner oils thing. This stuff would appear to make TGMO look thick and low VI, LOL!
wink.gif

I also find it reassuring that they are specifically stating not to use this oil in engines that don't call for it.

Thanks for the posts! It's definitely interesting stuff. It's not brand-new, having been in some kei-cars and hybrids for a few years. It does appear that the new Fit is designed to use it too, so I figure I'll get a VOA and then decide whether to try a cycle in my car.

Thanks for the posts! It's definitely interesting stuff. It's not brand-new, having been in some kei-cars and hybrids for a few years. It does appear that the new Fit is designed to use it too, so I figure I'll get a VOA and then decide whether to try a cycle in my car.

I'd just e-mail Honda and ask if it is safe to use in your fit. If it is, then go right ahead!

This may become the new darling of BITOG, having an even higher VI and lower visc than TGMO, LOL!!!

You could mix it with a high VI 0w-30 to create an ultra high VI 0w-20
wink.gif
We could dub it the fourside's blend!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I also find it reassuring that they are specifically stating not to use this oil in engines that don't call for it.

Don't worry, someone who knows better will recommend it for BBC motorhomes within a week of it hitting deck.

As long as it has an oil pressure and oil temp gauge its all good. If not head to the cellar and blend it up with a little Mobil 1 0w40. LOL
Then we give it a name like whats its name blend II.

Keep in mind the differences in fuel formulation between the markets. Japan enjoys the champion in purity when it comes to sulfur. That, and alcohol related fuel dilution may be decisive factors in US market..

If you do get a VOA, make sure it includes viscosities at 40 and 100C so we can do a VI calculation.

I'll probably just go ahead and get a VOA and go from there. If the results look really funky or something maybe I'd think twice about using it in my car. Then again, both his car and mine have the same L15B engine. I'm sure there are some minor differences but the oil may turn out to be perfectly compatible.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Just keep in mind increasing the amount of VIIs increases deposit formation.

Good point, you have to weigh the risk to the reward, the price paid, and the convenience of getting these super high VI oils. For me it just doesn't add up, especially for the prices I paid for my Mobil 1 0W20 AFE stash. I don't think TGMO or Honda's oil will extend the life of my engine by one single hour. As far as saving fuel, I have my doubts about that too.

As said above, remember that even if the oil is compatible with your engine, that does not mean that the oil is compatible with US fuel which have more sulfur content than the japanese one.

Something you have to take in consideration when you compare oil recommendations from manufacturers worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back