Vinegar and baking soda mixture paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works great and better than I thought it would after I watched a YouTube video about it.

I'm going to try it on my uncle's dodge ram's headlights because they are severely hazed. (I'll post pics for the before and after)

I tried the paste mix on my Tacoma and it's MUCH BETTER!

Forget all the other stuff you can try out these days. This is cheaper and more effective.

Clean headlight with Windex.
Then half and half vinegar and baking soda, stir and apply paste to headlight plastic with rag, washcloth, paper towel. Use in a circular motion. You can use windex cleaner or wet towel to wipe off the residue. Repeat if necessary. Rinse off.

I'm only posting this because I was very impressed with the result.
I've tried toothpaste before but I don't think it was as effective as this way.

Just saying.

I usually use some medium or fine cut compound on mine. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak

Glad you had success!

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
Pretty much anything with a fine abrasive will

Hit the nail on the head there. Glad the OP is happy with the results. One tip... top it off with something UV protective. They sell specific products at auto parts stores. The Blue Magic version I bought seems like you have to reapply, but it's ridiculously easy to do so after a car wash. I just wet the headlight with it and don't even bother to wipe it off.

If I had to do it over, I'd just use 303 since I have a ton left.

Last edited:
Vinegar and baking soda makes neat little chemical volcanoes. The mixture creates carbon dioxide and oohhhs and ahhhs from the neighbor kids.

Not sure how effective it is on polycarbonate lenses though.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Vinegar and baking soda makes neat little chemical volcanoes. The mixture creates carbon dioxide and oohhhs and ahhhs from the neighbor kids.

Not sure how effective it is on polycarbonate lenses though.

That's exactly what I was thinking, "Didn't we use to make volcanoes out of that combination?" Though I also remember using that combination to clean old coins that I would find.

400 grit wet/dry and white rubbing compound works best.
Spray with good clearcoat when done.
Not the [censored] in a can. the real stuff. basecoat/clear.
3 years and counting.

Toothpaste I have tried and wasn't too impressed with it. This way is just stronger than toothpaste.

What I said about trying on my uncle's truck is because I believe his are polycarbonate.

Once I get his headlights done then I'll post what kind of result I get from it.

Banshee Moon (youtube) did the headlights using baking soda only. And honest to God, I was watching those headlights :) I am NOT going to post the youtube link.

Assuming that you are not getting yellowing on the inside of the lens you will need to coat the outside with something when you get done with the abrasive or it will haze again in a few months. I would use a spray clear coat that indicates UV protection. I have found through experience that the lenses last a lot longer if you avoid commercial car washes, too. As soon as the factory UV protective coating gets scrubbed off they yellow faster.

I found normal car polish to work fine. All you need is to clean down factory protective layer, this thing actually turns yellow. After polishing clean the headlights with antisilicone and add two coating of clear lacquer for plastic surfaces. It will look like new, and last for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back