Pressure cookers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone routinely use a modern electric (not stove top) pressure cooker? A guy I watch on Youtube has done a few recipes using one and it's pretty amazing; recipes that you normally do in a dutch oven or slow cooker that take 8 hours can be done in 30 minutes! Should I buy one??? Thanks!

If succulent pulled pork in 2-3 hours is what your after, its indispensable. Brown roast on all sides, place on a bed of one chopped onion, add a couple of splashes of apple cider vinegar, set and cook.

so direcTV has a channel dedicated to selling this pressure cooker.

I bought one for 100 dollars or whatever.

You can do a roast beef in 20 minutes, or a ham or whole chicken.

Tastes like boiled roast beef.

I have yet to make anything that is very good in there, but it is quick.

Have not made pulled pork yet, I will try that and let you know.

Yeah. You can usually get good flavor if you brown the meat beforehand and dont drown it in tasteless liquid. After alot of bland gray meat, I learned my lessons.

For pulled pork, a 4 lb pork roast I use an onion plus maybe a 1/4 cup apple vinegar. A porketta roast is good like this too.
For pulled beef, a 4 lb bottom round I use an onion, splash of bourbon, and a beef broth cube.

For a sliced roast, I prefer oven, grill, or smoker --- not the pressure cooker. For anything pulled, it gets the nod due to needing to break down collagen without drying out the meat. For pulled pork or brisket this is 190-205 degrees depending on your tastes.

Pork Hocks & Sauerkraut in the Pressure Cooker.....

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Anyone routinely use a modern electric (not stove top) pressure cooker? A guy I watch on Youtube has done a few recipes using one and it's pretty amazing; recipes that you normally do in a dutch oven or slow cooker that take 8 hours can be done in 30 minutes! Should I buy one??? Thanks!

My mom & dad would use a stove top one 20 or 30 years ago. They did a good job cooking meat quickly and it was very moist.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
so direcTV has a channel dedicated to selling this pressure cooker.

I bought one for 100 dollars or whatever.

You can do a roast beef in 20 minutes, or a ham or whole chicken.

Tastes like boiled roast beef.

I have yet to make anything that is very good in there, but it is quick.

Have not made pulled pork yet, I will try that and let you know.

Any idea if it is made out of stanless steel or aluminum ?

I have an instapot brand. I bought an extra bowl for it, which is key. So far as I know, it's the only one with stainless steel bowl.

I highly recommend it. We use it nearly as often as the toaster. There's even a good tapioca recipe for it out there.

The new models can make yogurt.

Made corned beef and all the trimmings in about an hour the other night. The Instant Pot is an amazingly easy device to use, safe and fast.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Made corned beef and all the trimmings

thumbsup2.gif
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Pork Hocks & Sauerkraut in the Pressure Cooker.....

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

My opinion..better in a croc pot overnight. But then you have the smell.

Given your location, I'd think it would be a clear advantage. If I recall, the Springs is 1000' higher than Denver. PC's are great for cooking tough meats that need long hours to tenderize like brisket, pork shoulder and roasts. Brown first to enhance flavor and deglaze the fond into the cooker.

Electric is not modern.
Stovetop is. And the brand to get is Fissler. Cheaper on Amazon.de than anywhere else online, and VAT free.

My MIL bought an electric one, and I hated it (not consistent with it's cooking,maybe faulty unit to begin with?)

Regardless, I have 2 heavy gauge stainless steel pressure cooker: a SEL (pre Tefal days, same mother company); and recently I bought a used Splendid 6qt (made in Spain). The latter one is getting used more frequently due to it's ease of use (the SEL is the old traditional one with a big screw over the top lid stype).

Cooks beans, stews, etc. like a charm.

Q.

How do you de-pressurize? Turn the heat off and wait for it to do it itself in time or de-pressurize right away through breaking the seal/turning the valve? When I a in a hurry I do it right away but the noise is like a steam engine's...

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
How do you de-pressurize? Turn the heat off and wait for it to do it itself in time or de-pressurize right away through breaking the seal/turning the valve? When I a in a hurry I do it right away but the noise is like a steam engine's...

Do whatever the directions tell you. You can probably find the instructions online somewhere.

I've done BBQ'd brisket before in a pressure cooker. I started with a 7lb brisket and did it in the cooker for about 40-45 minutes. Then I put it on the grill for 10 minutes per side, regardless of how burnt it got. Then I took it inside and chopped it up, finishing by pouring a bottle of my favorite sauce over it and giving it a good stir. It's not real BBQ, but it's pretty good for not spending hours and hours at the smoker when you don't have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back