2015 Sportsman 850

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after 5 years of flogging a 2010 400 HO and 2010 500, I finally decided to add an 850 into the mix. I was surfing the web when I ran across Polaris' XP Sales event. It turned out they were offering a $1000 rebate, I jumped on it.

Went from surfing the web to negotiating a price to signing the contract in a matter of 3 hours. The quad is in a crate still and will not be available until Wednesday.

My 400 and 500 have been trouble free so far, anything to look out for on the 850s?

What kind of a hit should I expect I fuel economy?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
How much more does it weigh, If any?

About 70 lbs according to the owners manual.

Of the choices below I have on hand, what would you recommend?
Mobil 1 15w-50
Mobil 1 5w-40 TDT
Mobil 1 0w-40
Rotella T6 5w-40

I'd run the TDT or the 0w-40. I run only xxw-50 in my 850 but I live in Louisiana, wouldn't expect you want something that thick up there.

The 850 is a very good engine, all the power you need and then some. It's really too much power, but sure is a lot of fun. I know of a few problems on earlier year model 850s, but none on a '14 or '15 year model. Early ones, '09 - '11 had a bad pcv system that would leave the airbox very oily. The '13s had some bad crankshafts, the timing gear on the crank was pressed on and it would spin on the crank, thus throwing timing off. They fixed that for '14. If you ride hard the rear, lower forward a-arm mounts will break. Rick Cecco, pro atv racer, makes some supports for these mounts that bolt on. If you are handy with a welder, you could strengthen it yourself before it happens.

Have fun with the new machine, the power is addicting.

Oh, fuel mileage. I can run maybe 100 miles on a tank taking it easy. I've never actually run that far, 88 is my daily max, but shouldn've been able to get to 100 miles, the gauge wasn't flashing low fuel when I quit.

They are a relatively heavy machine but they make up for it in power. I have a 14 can-am outlander 800 and my friends polaris 850 will hold it's own no problem.

Expect top speed to be right around 75mph and they get there pretty quickly too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back