Nickel sized chip, rust just starting, easy DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spot.

Got a tentative quote(they haven't seen it, was just described to them) of $500 to repair this. I'm decently mechanically inclined and generally prefer to do things myself, but no real experience with painting/coating on a car. Can I repair this easily and attractively myself, or should I bite the very large bullet, given that I plan to keep this car until it dies?

I have access to any of the tools that would be needed to a job like this, if that changes anything.

I usually grind mine out with a small stone wheel on a dremel then use a toothpick to apply self etching primer, then touch up paint

Originally Posted By: JayDaniel
The spot.
Can I repair this easily and attractively myself, or should I bite the very large bullet, given that I plan to keep this car until it dies?...

How good you want it to look? Do you want it to look like factory OEM? If you don't want it to look like a DIY job, then yes...you'll have to "bite the bullet". If all you're trying to do is stop the rust from spreading, then you can do something yourself.

Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would try to do it yourself. If its not a nice as you require, then take it some place.

This sounds like the way I'll do things, with the self etching primer and touch-up mentioned above.

Thanks, all!

Apply some CLR with Q-tip, then scrub the rust spot with a stiff, plastic bristle brush. Once the rust is no longer visible, apply primer and/or paint to area, allow to dry and apply clear if you want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back