ICIS: Group III inventory outpaces world demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Year old article but first industry specific one (I've seen) to address the glut of GrpIII base stocks in the market.

http://www.icis.com/resources/news/2014/...ks-accelerates/

"...The Group III influence on global supply is part of the industry trend towards lighter oil grades, adding another light viscosity option to the swell of Group II stocks. Group III production from gas-to-liquids (GTL) technology has significantly increased overall Group III production capacities with the recent start up of Shell’s plant in Qatar.

Several sources comment that Group III volumes are now in excess of global demand, causing these high quality oils to be blended into Group I and Group II base stocks as well as finding their way into applications that might not require these premium grades.

“The volumes are huge and the quality is very high – it is like drinking brandy from a fire hose,” comments one industry expert. This year will see further capacity additions that increasingly include Group III production.

New projects in South Korea and eastern Europe are slated to add more than 20,000 bbl/day of Group III production capacity through new units or expansions. Additionally, there are a number of other capacity additions that combine Group II with Group III production, although specific barrels per day by type are not readily available."

Chemical industry is tough. Often a plant isnt cost effective until some production level, and at the same time, commodity chemicals have standard supply and demand curves.

My read is that this is a temporary thing, given the tendencies towards needing more Grp III basestock to meet ever more stringent quality requirements.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Am I having deja vu or what?

I swear this exact thread was on here a couple months ago.

You are correct this article is Feb 2014 and it's a repost at least once before here.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Throt
Am I having deja vu or what?

I swear this exact thread was on here a couple months ago.

You are correct this article is Feb 2014 and it's a repost at least once before here.

Sorry gents. I looked but didn't find the original post.

Everyone move on...nothing to see here.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Chemical industry is tough. Often a plant isnt cost effective until some production level, and at the same time, commodity chemicals have standard supply and demand curves.

My read is that this is a temporary thing, given the tendencies towards needing more Grp III basestock to meet ever more stringent quality requirements.

True. This surplus is no reason to take a chance on lesser than spec'd oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back